Home Theater/Game Room Thread

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
My current setup (minus the screen for now, should have it by December):

Denon AVR-4306 (Dated, want to upgrade to an X7200WA - I love denon)
Panasonic PT AE1000U Projector (Also Dated, will be upgraded to an LCD once I use my extra bulbs I got for practically free)
B&W CM9GB 5" 3 Way Floor Speakers
B&W DS3B 5" 2 Way bookshelf surrounds
B&W CMCCGB Center channel
SVS PB Ultra 13 Subwoofer
Screen Innovations 144" Black Diamond Zero Edge Screen

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
That may be a dated projector but those Panasonic's all throw a great picture. May as well keep on using it until 4k becomes affordable.

Fiftyfour

Golden Knight of the Realm
^ What he said. Same can be said about the Denon receiver, unless it simply does not do the job you need it to. I had a Denon receiver in my upstairs el cheapo theater-in-a-box setup that lasted a good ten years before it decided to randomly die one day. I never turned it off either, so it was "on" for 10 years 24/7.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the projector looks great but once I get the screen it just won't cut it because I cant get a proper lens to scale 2.35:1 properly for that projector. The problem I have with the denon is just 3 HDMI inputs. That really really kills it for me. But I've managed to make do by using component for my PS3 at this point, but I hate dealing with "blocks" like that. It too though has certainly served me well. I'll have to take pictures of it inset into the wall, though it's not as fancy as some others out there by any stretch.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean hell, you can get good quality 70" LEDs for just over a grand nowadays, not sure why anyone would go with a projector unless you literally have a movie theater-sized screen in your home (like 50ft x 20ft) or unless my room is so large that I'm sitting 20+ feet from the screen. I'd listen to arguments for projector vs LED if your sitting distance is 15-20 feet(but I'd still lean LED, personally) and 15 feet and in, projection is just a dumb choice at that point. 65-70+ inch LED all the way when under 15 feet.
I went to Best Buy yesterday to listen to soundbars. Screw soundbars, they sound like crap. I wanted some better sound in my bedroom, but I bought a higher end soundbar, and I don't feel surrounded.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/definiti...ustomerreviews

I was floored at the quality of the 80" HDTV's right now. The new Sharp Aquos 80" 4K is incredible. I almost bought it, they had a floor model that was like $2,500 and had been run only one month. But then I saw that it didn't have 3D. We actually use that.

This TV somewhat kills the whole projector versus TV argument. If you are a heavy user of TV, a projector won't work. Between movies, sports, video games for the kids, Netflix, etc., as a family, we are heavy users.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
^ What he said. Same can be said about the Denon receiver, unless it simply does not do the job you need it to. I had a Denon receiver in my upstairs el cheapo theater-in-a-box setup that lasted a good ten years before it decided to randomly die one day. I never turned it off either, so it was "on" for 10 years 24/7.
I wish I had the same experience. Mine didn't even last a year before it had to go in for repairs. I had it repaired twice before I finally dumped it and got a Yamaha. The Yamaha has a bit less power but it was an oh shit mine died I need a quick replacement. It how ever has been completely trouble free.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Heh, just went to Best Buy's website to see what there is for 80"+ TV's, out of curiosity. As I've mentioned, I'll likely not be replacing my current projector whenever it happens to crap out. Nice to see that there's TV's approaching 100", as my current screen size is 106". Not so nice to see that they are 20-30k. Jesus.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heh, just went to Best Buy's website to see what there is for 80"+ TV's, out of curiosity. As I've mentioned, I'll likely not be replacing my current projector whenever it happens to crap out. Nice to see that there's TV's approaching 100", as my current screen size is 106". Not so nice to see that they are 20-30k. Jesus.
My Stewart Firehawk was 94" and it sold new for $2,500. I can get an 80" 4K HDTV for just a little over that, and the quality is much higher (and that price is not including the projector).

A few years back, they couldn't make an 80 inch flat screen for 4k (they were much higher). At this rate, maybe we'll see larger TV's at a lower price soon. 80 inches used to be $10k+.

At the rate things are advancing, it almost makes you afraid to buy anything new.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see where the prices are at in 2-3 years when I may or may not be in the market. It's ridiculous how cheap the small panels have gotten, in the 30-50" range. I still remember the day my dad came home with a 27" Hitachi back in the late 80's or early 90's. That shit was the talk of the block.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Stewart Firehawk was 94" and it sold new for $2,500. I can get an 80" 4K HDTV for just a little over that, and the quality is much higher (and that price is not including the projector).

A few years back, they couldn't make an 80 inch flat screen for 4k (they were much higher). At this rate, maybe we'll see larger TV's at a lower price soon. 80 inches used to be $10k+.

At the rate things are advancing, it almost makes you afraid to buy anything new.
This. I remember not long ago, the 65" were the large panels and cost nearly 5 figures. I bought a 75" Samsung when that was king of the hill and paid dearly for it (nearly $7k). I was literally in the Samsung shop yesterday and saw the new 75" versions are around $2k and now the super expensive ones are 86"+. A couple more years and I think we will see near 100" 4K for reasonable prices.

Prices are coming down quick on this stuff.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well the Oculus Rift issupposedto release in Q1 2016, so yes? I think shitty VR will be here before screens on every surface in a room.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well the Oculus Rift issupposedto release in Q1 2016, so yes? I think shitty VR will be here before screens on every surface in a room.
Thanks for that, I just blew a large chunk of my day on learning everything about the Rift. I could see myself gaming on it, but not watching a movie.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Ah... perfect thread. I'll be closing on my house soon and will needing to pick out a decent home theater setup soon.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm swapping out my soundbar for a mid range speaker setup (for my bedroom and not mancave). I'm amazed what $1k gets you now, wow. Even the cheaper definitive setups are very nice.

I thought soundbars had gotten better, but apparently that is all marketing hype. I've had one for all of two days before it goes back.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Soundbars are decidedly better than the absolute crap-ass speakers built into most TVs nowadays (yay, a couple of 2" speakers on the back of the TV), but they still can't compare to true surround sound with a good receiver and speakers.

I only recommend soundbars to people that just absolutely don't have any space for surround sound or a receiver (TV in a bedroom, or mounted on an exterior wall for viewing on a deck/patio for example)

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Soundbars are decidedly better than the absolute crap-ass speakers built into most TVs nowadays (yay, a couple of 2" speakers on the back of the TV), but they still can't compare to true surround sound with a good receiver and speakers.

I only recommend soundbars to people that just absolutely don't have any space for surround sound or a receiver (TV in a bedroom, or mounted on an exterior wall for viewing on a deck/patio for example)
It should be illegal to advertise your soundbar is 7.1, when it is clearly 2.1.

I'm buying a low end definitive system with a Yamaha receiver for the bedroom today. I was surprised at how good it sounded, for the price. It sounds better than the first HTIB I bought, and is cheaper.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just had a professional company come in and look at my sound in my mancave. He talked for 20 minutes, and I didn't understand a word he said, but he tweaked some things, and it sounds a lot better already. He said something about Best Buy hooking in the sub wrong, and then the sub was firing at the same time as my other speakers (with subs) were, so that sound was being canceled. He is going to write up several different options, including going to 9.2 (front height speakers) and changing the surrounds. I kept bringing up other more expensive options like wall treatments, but he didn't want to go for it. He said he can bring the room up to 95% of its potential, but it won't be right unless I add a wall in.

Home values in my area are going up the roof, my house has increased 20% in value since I bought it. I don't think I want to move, probably homes will be outrageous in a few years. I'll get the sound right, and stay here.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I've got about a $1,250 budget to get a sound system setup. This is something I know effectively zero about. I'll have an HTPC (probably), Cable, OTA antenna, and probably a Chromecast/Firestick type deal plugged into it the TV. I'd like to be able stream music and shit from my phone on it.

Haven't really started looking yet so yeahhh... help?