Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are there wireless surround sound systems or is the latency too high? I really just want to add two rear speakers. I can't seem to find any obvious candidates besides wireless subs (which I'm guessing you want or can be slightly off-sync to not drown out the lower output woofers and tweeters?) so maybe they are just impractical.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
We're not there yet with wireless technology.

You need a receiver to send a wireless signal (they're prone to interference).
Then you need a wireless receiver, DAC, EQ, and amp, in each speaker. And then run a separate power cord.

Why are you running 100s of feet of cable that you couldn't route along a floor board? How big is this room?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The room isn't big footprint wise, but the ceiling is huge. I'd be looking at roughly 50-60 ft for each run.

If I route it on the floorboard it would be less but then it would be exposed and I'd be sad.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I've got about a $1,250 budget to get a sound system setup. This is something I know effectively zero about. I'll have an HTPC (probably), Cable, OTA antenna, and probably a Chromecast/Firestick type deal plugged into it the TV. I'd like to be able stream music and shit from my phone on it.

Haven't really started looking yet so yeahhh... help?
This mighta gotten glanced over since it was at the bottom of the (default?) page size for me.

Anyways, forgot to mention that I have speaker mounts already build into the room for the Front/Rear speakers. Again I have zero freaking knowledge of home theater audio setups. Damnit. I know computers very well and could figure this all out myself but would rather seek the input of people with a little more education on it than I.

Off to Google anyways...

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are there wireless surround sound systems or is the latency too high? I really just want to add two rear speakers. I can't seem to find any obvious candidates besides wireless subs (which I'm guessing you want or can be slightly off-sync to not drown out the lower output woofers and tweeters?) so maybe they are just impractical.
I just paid someone $400 to install surround sound in my bedroom, embedded in the walls. That wireless tech just doesn't sound right. It sounds like mud.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Just an attic built for midgets. The entrance covers are probably 20"x20".
If you have carpet, sometimes there is room under the baseboards to cram some wire into, or just remove the baseboards, route/gouge out the sheet rock for your wire and reinstall. Same with door molding/casing. You can also fish wire under carpet. It's not a fire hazard.

Don't use monster cable. It's overkill and too hard to hide. 14 or 12 gauge zip cord is easier to conceal.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
This mighta gotten glanced over since it was at the bottom of the (default?) page size for me.

Anyways, forgot to mention that I have speaker mounts already build into the room for the Front/Rear speakers. Again I have zero freaking knowledge of home theater audio setups. Damnit. I know computers very well and could figure this all out myself but would rather seek the input of people with a little more education on it than I.

Off to Google anyways...
I'd recommend avsforums for general advice on overall system selections. We're just women hating video games playing shitlords here.

Off to Google anyways...
Jeydax,
Posting from my phone so it won't be as in depth as I want to be.
If you just need speakersHSU Researchis supposed to be a fantastic value. I haven't heard them personally but people who's opinion that I trust say they are great.

For gaming or HT the most important speakers are the center channel and subwoofer.

With your budget if you need a receiver, I personally prefer pioneer's lower end models. You can generally grab the previous years models for a big discount off of amazon.

If you can go beyond a budget of $1250 let me know, your currently a few hundred shy of a really awesome setup.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'd recommend avsforums for general advice on overall system selections. We're just women hating video games playing shitlords here.
True, but don't let them talk you into going nuts. "Audiophile" means dumb person who spent way too much on their speakers.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I like the AVS forums too but you have to temper their advice with the fact they are enthusiasts. Some of their budget set ups are like 2000 so you just need to keep that in mind. I did take their advice on the Pioneers I have and for the small amount of money they cost are amazing.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Jeydax,
If you can go beyond a budget of $1250 let me know, your currently a few hundred shy of a really awesome setup.
Go on...

True, but don't let them talk you into going nuts. "Audiophile" means dumb person who spent way too much on their speakers.
I like the AVS forums too but you have to temper their advice with the fact they are enthusiasts. Some of their budget set ups are like 2000 so you just need to keep that in mind. I did take their advice on the Pioneers I have and for the small amount of money they cost are amazing.
Yeah that's kinda why I figured I'd ask here. I don't mind spending a few bucks but I'm definitely not an audiophile but also don't want a shitty setup for other people's "budget" builds.

To clarify, the TV/setup would be used for sports, movies/TV shows, and occasionally music (bluetooth from a phone or tablet when hosting people). Again, definitely not anything close to an audiophile but want a good setup without overdoing it *too* much. Guhh... that sounds vague as hell but I don't know how else to put it.

We have 4 speaker mounts that are all pre-wired to the spot for the receiver/etc (bookshelf size for the speaker mounts) and a spot for the center speaker (sub can go basically anywhere in the room). Not really too concerned about the setup, just don't really know what the hell I should be getting. Our TV will likely be aSamsung UN65JU7100 65-Inch 4Kor very similar to that.

I'll check out the AV forums and the link forin provided (thanks for that).

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I've pretty much settled on getting a pair ofELAC B6'sfor my front speakers. I may just get two pairs and throw the other two in the back. And I've more or less settled on theDenon AVR-X1200Wfor my receiver. That'll let me get a second sub in the future if I want. Haven't quite picked out a sub yet but may get on of the HSU's.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I've pretty much settled on getting a pair ofELAC B6'sfor my front speakers. I may just get two pairs and throw the other two in the back. And I've more or less settled on theDenon AVR-X1200Wfor my receiver. That'll let me get a second sub in the future if I want. Haven't quite picked out a sub yet but may get on of the HSU's.
You might as well spring for their center channel speaker. That way all 5 will matched. That's important, IMHO.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-A750 and a Deftech PC600 5.1 speaker setup for my bedroom. It sounds surprisingly good for the $1k I paid for it. It's not as good as the high end system in the mancave (the receiver on that is 2k by itself), so there's not as much ooomph. Also, it distorts at a much lower level. But it is better than any HTIB I've heard, and it directs sounds incredibly. This is a really good setup for sub $1k. If I compare it to my 10k setup in the mancave, it doesn't sound horrible.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
So here's my conundrum right now Lyrical: our TV room is setup like a total derp burglar.

Right now I'm trying to find a couple rear surround speakers to go with the front ELAC's that would fill the room out with sound well. Any suggestions there?