Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Dude, save the $1k on the useless 4k tv and put that into your speaker/sub budget.

Why are people,buying 4k shit at all? You have no content for it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That's what they said when I bought my laser disc player and LOOK WHO IS LAUGHING NOW.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I've read on 1k vs. 4k a few times. The gist seems to be that most people can't tell the distance from > 10', and support for it is still quite small. I don't remember comments on upscaling.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Dude, save the $1k on the useless 4k tv and put that into your speaker/sub budget.

Why are people,buying 4k shit at all? You have no content for it.
What do you think I am? Some kind of money saving pleb?

Kidding aside, I get that argument but knowing that Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube are pushing 4K, and with Black Friday/Christmas coming up, the whole "lack of content" argument isn't going to last real long and seeing as we're basically buying a gob of stuff for the house now I'd rather be set for the next 5~ years on our main TV.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
CEDIA was kind of a bust last week. There was almost nothing new out this year except for the JVC projector lineup. Those were good but none of them were 4k. The bottom of the line JVC looked good, retails for $3999 and is brighter than the one I have now. If I can find a b-stock or used one at some point I'll probably upgrade, otherwise I'll just wait for 4k.

Epson was showing the exact same lineup as last year. Panasonic wasn't there at all. Sony had a big new exciting laser 4k projector but it retails for 59,999. Threw a great picture though.

Atmos was all over the place, almost nobody was doing in ceiling speakers anymore, they all have add-on modules sitting on top of their existing speakers, or they have them built into the top of their speakers. It is fun and if I was building my room again I'd include it but it just doesn't do enough to make me want to spend the money and do the work to add it in at this point.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What's the over under of 4K streaming services vs cable companies with data caps and declining revenue though? That push to 4K should be mitigated by cell phone like data plans while cable companies take a few more years to produce TLC in 4K.

I don't see how you aren't going to get fleeced if you have even moderate streaming habits.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think something has got to give as far as cable billing and internet bandwidth caps. As more people cut the cord and stop paying cable bills, the internet usage goes up and I think they will simply transfer the money you were paying to cable over to internet. Eventually nobody has cable but we all pay $150 a month for our internet usage.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
What do you think I am? Some kind of money saving pleb?

Kidding aside, I get that argument but knowing that Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube are pushing 4K, and with Black Friday/Christmas coming up, the whole "lack of content" argument isn't going to last real long and seeing as we're basically buying a gob of stuff for the house now I'd rather be set for the next 5~ years on our main TV.
Dude, no.

You're not going to get 4k from streaming. Proper 1080p is over 15mbps and nobody delivers that currently. TV stations are under 5mbps because they're cramming 3 signals into what should be 1.

What is Black Friday or Christmas going to do for you? There's no hardware that reads 4k content since there's no standard for 4k content yet either.

It's a huge waste of money for nothing right now unless you like watching random nature documentaries on Youtube at 4' from the screen. Your eye loses the ability to see details beyond 1080p from >10' as it is.

Spend the money on speakers now, spend it on electronics (the consumables) later when they catch up. You'll replace receivers and tvs. You don't ever really need to replace speakers unless you blow a driver.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
You're not going to get 4k from streaming. Proper 1080p is over 15mbps and nobody delivers that currently.
I probably worded stuff wrong. I understand I'm not gaining anything by getting a 4K for streaming/cable/broadcast TV but nearly 100% of the movies/TV shows I watch end up being from downloaded content and there is a fair amount of that available. Most Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime shows the wife is watching she won't care/notice anyways.

What is Black Friday or Christmas going to do for you?
Nothing for me - but the more people with 4K TV's the more the content providers will be pushing out 4K content.

There's no hardware that reads 4k content since there's no standard for 4k content yet either.
The UHD standard was set sometime back in like May of this year. For all intents and purposes of 4K, yes the standard has been set.

It's a huge waste of money for nothing right now unless you like watching random nature documentaries on Youtube at 4' from the screen. Your eye loses the ability to see details beyond 1080p from >10' as it is.
Yeah according to all the charts/calcs out there, I'd be fine with a 720p TV. Maybe I should just get one of those instead and save a TON of money! /s

Spend the money on speakers now, spend it on electronics (the consumables) later when they catch up. You'll replace receivers and tvs. You don't ever really need to replace speakers unless you blow a driver.
True. I'll be spending money on both though. I'm not an audiophile and really don't give a shit about the best of the best of the best for sound. I'm being good quality speakers and spending more than I originally expected for my sound system so... yes to that.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Fine, you do you.

I just don't believe in 4k right now at all due to underlying delivery limitations, outright lies by providers, and no physical media or players currently existing.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have a Sony 42" 4K TV in my bedroom and it's definitely sharper than my Sharp 60" in my living room. Whether this is due to the 4K "upscaling" or just because the Sony has a better picture I have no clue, but it's definitely a crisper image.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, you still have to consider quality with a higher definition TV. Contrast is still a pursuit. Pixels ain't everything.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Forget those dumb calculations. You can't go into a store and look at a 1080P TV next to a 4K one and say that they look the same. They just don't. I wouldn't have thought I could think a 1080P picture looked bad but next to a 4K it looks pretty bad. From what I've seen 4K isn't really much more expensive already and it will probably be standard in a couple years so there's not much reason not to future-proof at this point IMO. Sure the content may lag behind but I think if I was buying a TV right now I would probably be looking for a 4K.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just don't believe in 4k right now at all due to underlying delivery limitations, outright lies by providers, and no physical media or players currently existing.
Neither do I, and this is from a guy who bought an 80 inch 3d. I'm not falling for that again. They are already talking about 8K, so this is way too early market for me.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't go out and buy a new TV just to get 4K, but if I was in the market for a new TV regardless I would definitely go 4k.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Forget those dumb calculations. You can't go into a store and look at a 1080P TV next to a 4K one and say that they look the same. They just don't. I wouldn't have thought I could think a 1080P picture looked bad but next to a 4K it looks pretty bad. From what I've seen 4K isn't really much more expensive already and it will probably be standard in a couple years so there's not much reason not to future-proof at this point IMO. Sure the content may lag behind but I think if I was buying a TV right now I would probably be looking for a 4K.
Yea, but that's 4K, groomed example footage and they stage those TVs next to your face on purpose. If my TV spontaneously combusted I wouldn't necessarilynotget a 4K, but it would have to have value and basically just 'be' 4K because the higher end TVs are just 4K.

I wouldn't pay double for 4K over 1080 for instance.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Not always. I've seen them at Costco in a row playing the same Blu-ray video and the 4k still really stands out even with 1080p content. I used to buy the can't tell the difference unless you are really close thing but that idea didn't survive my first trip to a store that had them on display

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
When NTSC jumped to HD you had a combination of factors that made the picture look better. In general it coincided with the move to flat panel so the screen size was getting bigger, obviously the pixel count is much higher, but then the important factor that a lot of people don't realize is that we moved from the NTSC colorspace to the HD Rec709 colorspace. That is why the colors seemed so much more vivid and popped out on the HD set.

Moving from HD 1080p to 4k we are not only getting higher pixel counts, we are moving from Rec709 to Rec2020 colorspace and also getting HDR lighting. I won't be the dramatic image increase that we saw in the move from NTSC to HD but it will still be significant. People who say you cannot see the difference unless sitting 2 feet from the tv are talking about pixel count only, they are disregarding the increased color gamut and the HDR lighting.