Homeland

Sean_sl

shitlord
Anyway, the first season was so incredible because it went balls out and felt like it wasn't holding back and didn't care about how it would impact later seasons.
It's really a shame that they couldn't keep that pace up, since that's the #1 thing that made Homeland great to begin with. I guess they had to crash sometime, I just wish it wasn't so soon.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I am still greatly enjoying homeland, but the nonstop pace of S1 could only have continued if they had decided Brody could die. The minute they decided not to blow up the bunker, I think it was no longer possible.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am still greatly enjoying homeland, but the nonstop pace of S1 could only have continued if they had decided Brody could die. The minute they decided not to blow up the bunker, I think it was no longer possible.
The first season's writing struck me as if it was inspired by Breaking Bad. They approached Brody similarly to Walt, where both characters were seemingly good men who were motivated to do horrible things. Brody and Walt often engage in behavior you normally wouldn't expect from a protagonist. The difference is Homeland exists in a larger world where Brody's actions have much further reaching implications, due to the show involving the federal government and its foreign policies.

Because of this, Brody's actions should be met with much larger consequences, something the writers appear to be very reluctant to do. Instead of him being thrown in prison with a death sentence hanging over his head when its found out he's been working with terrorists and almost took out the government with a suicide vest, we get him hanging out with the vice president with barely any supervision. The show seems desperate to want to keep reminding us that, despite the things he's done, Brody is just a good guy in a bad situation, and the good guy always lives to fight another day. Which is why I think he ceased to be such an interesting character: He's become more typical - a good man trying to clear his good name.

Though, I have to say, one of the things I am enjoying about these season so far is that they actually do appear to be dealing with some of the ridiculousness from last season. The congressional inquiry seems to be designed to address some of the criticism they got for last season. Unfortunately, I'm doubting that results in any real consequences for the main characters, because, let's face it, that would involve Saul being fired or scapegoated for how incompetently Brody was handled and Carrie, at best, being demoted to a desk job, if not being thrown in jail for aiding a terrorist, and there wouldn't be much of a show then.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only reason they (poorly) deal with previous seasons is that Howard Gordon kinda jumped the ship, and now it's all about Chip J. being the showrunner, yesmanning anything towards Emmy acting performances (bald Brody Vs crazy Carrie just when BB is over, oohhh). Story wise it doesn't make any sense because what's been written is a glorified kabuki theatre where stars drive the show. You don't like it ? Cool, Homeland is set into a 4 seasons+option business model, so they don't give a fuck about length or dramaturgy since they can wrap anything in 15 episodes and call a 1h26 telefilm for closure. Calling it now : if the show gets renewed we're gonna see Dana as the same exact role Elisha Cuthbert was during 24. That's how things get done when Chip J. in on the steering wheel.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I'm giving this season one more episode before I officially call it a pos after season one. Please let tomorrow's episode jump start something interesting.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
To be fair, they couldn't keep up the pace of season 1 without turning into some cornball shit like "24". Having a new terrorist mastermind come along every few months and get vanquished by the heros would be equally if not more lame.

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
Season 3 is fucking terrible and i doubt it can be saved however if any writers are reading then try killing carrie and brodie's entire family, preferably very painfully and horribly. That may save this shitfest but i doubt it...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Season 3 is fucking terrible and i doubt it can be saved however if any writers are reading then try killing carrie and brodie's entire family, preferably very painfully and horribly. That may save this shitfest but i doubt it...
i could see this being a good thing, kill the father that just pops in every eps to say "take your pills!!!" really that's all he does. Kill the sister, that isn't it mal-practice that she's under handedly treating her sister?, a sister that just happens to be a blood related doctor cuz no one in the world would ever do the favors for carrie otherwise.

kill everything related to brody, except the wife... cuz well you know "firefly", hell replace brody with nathan fillion, isn't castle gonna end this season? (haven't or ever watched it)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The wife is super fucking hot and they need to write more nude scenes for her, STAT.

I watched all 4 episodes, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I like the new season, certainly better than last season. I like that they really got into the effects of what happened and the family trying to move on and Brody a prisoner of whatever fucked up people will have him and Carrie's new shit. It isn't as good as the first season, but definitely a step up from last season. Maybe I just went into it with lowered expectations or something after reading the gnashing of teeth from here, but I like it so far. They got me with the Saul thing, I didn't see that coming. Until she showed up at his house, of course.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like it too. It's not like S1 but I think some posters in this thread are being way too hard on it.

spronk

FPS noob
finding out danas boyfriend may be a serial killer was pretty cool. their plan of trading their car for a shittier car was also pretty smart, its obvious dana and her boyfriend will join forces with the CIA to battle terrorists... with their minds

Cybsled

Dana's BF being a killer means this is a confirmed prequel to the final season of Dexter.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
When I found out he was a killer I said out loud, "Good, hope he fucking kills Dana."

The episode was a flop for me until the end when you find out Carrie and Saul have been playing the long game. Now I have some level of hope for the rest of the season.

Bane_sl

shitlord
By the time we find out what the fuck is going to happen this season, it will be over. In the words of Monty Python:

GET ON WITH IT!

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
When I found out he was a killer I said out loud, "Good, hope he fucking kills Dana."

The episode was a flop for me until the end when you find out Carrie and Saul have been playing the long game. Now I have some level of hope for the rest of the season.
This is the only thing that will have me watching the next episode - Dana being killled, not the massive spy-play
wink.png
I hope they're able to pick up the pace now and not have 3 episodes of filler between anything of relevance.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well Carrie didn't really want to play the long game after all (tell Saul I give up). Maybe the hospital scenes were their way to show faking was too hard on her. Or maybe it's just a terrible Shyamalan twist. I have to rewatch the first three episodes now.