Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So none of you fuckers use a UTV on the farm?

Seems like dealers aren’t even able to get stock on the lot. Have to preorder anything Polaris or can am

their called side by sides and get a honda if you can find/afford one

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
their called side by sides and get a honda if you can find/afford one
Honda gets hot as fuck due to engine placement. huge turn off being in Florida..

Honestly I doubt I can even find a honda right now if I wanted.

Sucks balls. I may just roll the dice - throw an order in for a Polaris Ranger and have them put me on the list for a can am defender xmr. See which arrives first.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Polaris gets hot as fuck to.

We call them buggies.

UTV is faggot shit

• 1Moron

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a four wheeler motorcycle I use around my property to great effect. I don't need the whole buggy thing. It looks like this:

sportsman-x2-570-sage-green.png

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Lost a hen to a bear a few weeks back. Fucker ripped off 3 of the fence posts. We put em back up and now have a camera in back (along with 2 more we're waiting to set up.)

Of course he got our favorite hen and not the shit dick asshole rooster.

Any idea what kind of bear?

That's one thing we never had to deal with, raising livestock in Kansas. There are always sightings of mountain lions passing through every so often, but I don't remember ever hearing about them going after livestock. Bobcats never bothered us. The dogs (mostly) kept the coyotes away. The single biggest issue we had was people from the city driving out to dump dogs, and then having small packs of asshole dogs attacking shit.

But bears? That shit would just annoy the fuck out of me.

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
Any idea what kind of bear?

That's one thing we never had to deal with, raising livestock in Kansas. There are always sightings of mountain lions passing through every so often, but I don't remember ever hearing about them going after livestock. Bobcats never bothered us. The dogs (mostly) kept the coyotes away. The single biggest issue we had was people from the city driving out to dump dogs, and then having small packs of asshole dogs attacking shit.

But bears? That shit would just annoy the fuck out of me.

Had to be Black bear, only kind we got up in my neck of the woods (NE.)

Yeah this thing was savage and fast. I heard it ripping off the fence posts but I was scared to shit by the banging in my backyard in the dark. It was only once I heard a chicken I connected the dots on what was going on.

Funny enough I wondered how a bear would get over my fence. The way out was through!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Random update on our pigs:

About 120 lbs now. That little solar electric charger is keeping them contained, no problem. I've witnessed a few times when they re test it, always funny.

Anyone who said Idaho Pasture Pigs graze, they don't root, that guy lied.

They're endearing even at this size, though. These fuckers are just so enthusiastic about eating, all day long. At any random moment I'll see one in mid pasture up to his ears in the dirt, just going nuts on something like its a pie eating contest and he hasnt eaten in a week. I'm like shit, what did you even find to eat that could be so exciting? a worm or grub or something? Just some special kind of root?

We've decided to rotate something else through after the pigs, to give the pasture time to recover. Besides, I figure we'll have enough pork for a year or two.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone who said Idaho Pasture Pigs graze, they don't root, that guy lied.

We're finding the same thing. They're in a probably 2 acre paddock right now and they have rooted up a pretty good percentage of it. Much more than in previous pens so I don't know if there was something in the ground they wanted or what but they have ripped it up pretty good.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Already got the dog, spent her first night with our goats last night. She was with a herd of 200+ goats from birth till now (12 weeks) following around her working parents - going to be locked in the shelter with ours every night for the next 4-6 months until she's big and mature enough to not need to put any of them up anymore and I can through up a few more 3 sided shelters and get some more goats.

Got up and let her out when the sun finally started rising (fucking winter hours), did the perimeter of the goat pasture with her a few times while doing some puppy training. Had my 16 month kid in with her a bunch so far today, and my sister in laws 6 year old. And she also spent a half hour in with the chickens. All good so far.

I'm not doing goats for money, just want hobby goats cause they're fun as shit for the kids and teach them some pretty decent responsibility while not being that hard to manage.
So can a Pyrenes wars off bobcats, foxes, coyotes AND black bears? I assume this dog will live outside with your animals full time?

I don’t think there’s any way for me to make a chicken run secure from these predators without a dog at this point.. Saw a small bobcat the size of a house cat maul a squirrel outside my office window yesterday lul.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So can a Pyrenes wars off bobcats, foxes, coyotes AND black bears? I assume this dog will live outside with your animals full time?

I don’t think there’s any way for me to make a chicken run secure from these predators without a dog at this point.. Saw a small bobcat the size of a house cat maul a squirrel outside my office window yesterday lul.

Yes to all but bears, when it comes to bears you'll want 2+ lgd (two should be fine) - they shouldn't ever have to fight it but 2 will scare a bear away 95% of the time.

We had a fox taking our chickens but their run is only a couple thousand sqft and I just re fenced and made sure to bury it a few on the backside. Haven't lost one since and a few of the chickens nest up in the trees.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You also want to consider if you want to get two $1000 dogs that each eat half a bag of dog food a week to protect a dozen $5 chickens.

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
We lost one chicken to egg binding earlier this year and then about a month or two we had one just vanish without a trace. We assumed it was a hawk because I can't imagine any of the other possible chicken predators would have only taken one and left absolutely no sign of what happened. Our primary run is just a old repurposed dog kennel, but we also have a second larger fenced in section without a top that we used to let them into that we don't anymore, we may rig up some netting over that section for next year.

It's not THAT big a deal, except these cunts are so fucking vicious that if we introduced a new chicken she'd probably get pecked to death for being an outsider, so we can't replace individual losses.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So my time has freed up to finally getting around to building a chicken run.. thinking 9 gauge chain link with corrugated steel roof. Bury chain link 2 ft into ground all around.

After watching a small bobcat (size of a house cat) outside my office window catch a squirrel the other day in broad daylight - I’m doubting I’ll ever get to free range my chickens during the day…

Are they still fun if I have to keep them locked in their run all the time?

really like the idea of a LGD like an antolian shepherd. Just not sure I have the time to give it the proper training.

Last edited: