Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We lost one chicken to egg binding earlier this year and then about a month or two we had one just vanish without a trace. We assumed it was a hawk because I can't imagine any of the other possible chicken predators would have only taken one and left absolutely no sign of what happened. Our primary run is just a old repurposed dog kennel, but we also have a second larger fenced in section without a top that we used to let them into that we don't anymore, we may rig up some netting over that section for next year.

It's not THAT big a deal, except these cunts are so fucking vicious that if we introduced a new chicken she'd probably get pecked to death for being an outsider, so we can't replace individual losses.

You can put the new chicken in a cage next to the others for a few days. Usually once the other chickens get used to seeing them for a while then they don't care about them anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Having chickens isn’t fun?

c45bc2d52f80e3927b215f316e3bd1c4.gif

• 1Worf

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
We lost one chicken to egg binding earlier this year and then about a month or two we had one just vanish without a trace. We assumed it was a hawk because I can't imagine any of the other possible chicken predators would have only taken one and left absolutely no sign of what happened. Our primary run is just a old repurposed dog kennel, but we also have a second larger fenced in section without a top that we used to let them into that we don't anymore, we may rig up some netting over that section for next year.

It's not THAT big a deal, except these cunts are so fucking vicious that if we introduced a new chicken she'd probably get pecked to death for being an outsider, so we can't replace individual losses.
A coworker of mine said hawks usually rip their heads off and leave the rest of the body. Must've been a bigger bird to leave no trace.

I forgot to mention a peregrine falcon (?!) attacked our clutch over the summer. It was smaller than the hens so it only struck the back of one. Its' goal was probably the 6 chicks we'd hatched. Oddly enough it returned another time and was perched IN the chicken roost. Quite the persisent raptor.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
A year ago something got into our chicken house and took the heads off of two ducks. We assumed they went for the ducks because they slept on the floor and the chickens were up on the roosts. Someone should tell them that the head is nowhere near the most delicious part of a duck.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
We think it was a racoon. They literally ripped a hole in the side of the house which was admittedly pretty old and rotten. We're building a new chicken house next spring because of that.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Hello fellow ranchers. Just put a deposit down on a can and defender limited. Hopefully will have it by summer (thanks Biden). 27k. Not bad.

Thinking of copping one of those John deer tractors that has a bucket and backhoe on it next.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I've told this story somewhere before. My In-laws had a Great Pyrenees to, among other things, guard their cattle. It was a dairy farm. I witnessed a neighbor's husky attack a calf. It took the GP about half a second to nearly kill the thing.

Now I've hunted raccoon over dogs before so I've seen some stuff, that dog was terrifying and amazing. As a bonus it was great, really great around kids. Nothing was going to get near them and none of them were going to be allowed to wander. Lastly, 20 below was his jam. It's the only time he would act at peace with the weather.

Yeah they eat. If you are going to have a dog get one that is useful in some way.

• 1Mother of God

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So I’m looking for a “compact tractor” that allows a bucket and backhoe attachment. Something that can kinda do it all.. Any opinions on brands and models? John Deere makes multiple compact tractor options. Looking at the 4 series.

Also at the moment I don’t have anywhere to store it inside or covered. Is that a big deal? I mean it’s a tractor - shouldn’t it do well sitting out in florida?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Saw a guy pimping rocket mass heaters, for 3k.

It looked pretty simple, nice but way over priced.

Anyone have experience with these?

Might try building one, or buying, for next year

Goatface

So I’m looking for a “compact tractor” that allows a bucket and backhoe attachment. Something that can kinda do it all.. Any opinions on brands and models? John Deere makes multiple compact tractor options. Looking at the 4 series.

Also at the moment I don’t have anywhere to store it inside or covered. Is that a big deal? I mean it’s a tractor - shouldn’t it do well sitting out in florida?

at least get a cover, animals and shit seem to love tractors. don't know if you can get a cover if you get a roof tho.
1641393391313.png

most everyone i know that doesn't use their daily has a kubota without much issue.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

John Deere is the #1 name in tractors of all sorts of course. They are expensive but they're going to be reliable and parts are available etc. There's many other brands of compact tractors made in Japan and China that are considerably cheaper, with Kubota being the biggest one. I haven't owned any of them but I have a neighbor that has two Kubotas that he really likes.

The tractor is similar to a car in that being under a roof will extend its life but it will be fine outdoors.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
John Deere is the #1 name in tractors of all sorts of course. They are expensive but they're going to be reliable and parts are available etc. There's many other brands of compact tractors made in Japan and China that are considerably cheaper, with Kubota being the biggest one. I haven't owned any of them but I have a neighbor that has two Kubotas that he really likes.

The tractor is similar to a car in that being under a roof will extend its life but it will be fine outdoors.
Kubota is everywhere in Texas, dude I know has a one built from the 80s still going strong. Been looking at a kubota-bx23s myself, they are fairly inexpensive for what they can do. MSRP is 18-22K
img.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>

I own a deere 4066M. It's my 4th tractor. Heres some tips:

1. Deere holds value better than Kubota. This means better trade in/trade up values. But thats not everything.

2. Deere is expensive. They are built like tanks, though.

3. Don't get an E series. Stick with M or R. Only get a cab if you *have* to have Air conditioning. IMO it's not worth the loss of visibility and convenience. Getting in and out of the cab is a pain in the ass. Get the hard top instead for the shade.

4. Budget for attachments. A bush hog (rotary cutter/shredder), finishing mower, and pallet forks (2000lb capacity) at a minimum is what youll need for property maintenance. Maybe more depending on your situation.

5. Make sure your dealer is reasonably nearby *AND* that you like them. With maintenance, that tractor will last at least 50 years. The dealer is important. Don't half ass maintenance.

Based on what youve said on the forums (that ive seen anyway), a 4M or 4R would be plenty of tractor. The 5 series has a much larger frame and is getting into a much higher price range. Last year the 4 series tractors were in short supply. Not sure about now. Good luck.

Oh and they will do ok outside, but critters like to eat electrical wiring and hydraulic hoses :/ I store mine in a garage.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Last edited:
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Last winter a rat got into my shop at the farm and ate wires in my SXS...apparently some of the plastics around the wires contained soy. Fucking soy, nothing but trouble.
Poisoned the shit out of that fucker and found him dead 4 days later...he ended up in the burn barrel.

• 1Like