Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Agreed on the meat birds, thats why we're doing them ourselves. The processing fees are close to the cost of a rotisserie chicken (I know, loss leaders etc., but still)

The pig math is complicated because we sold one, traded one, and kept one. But our total costs (including the pigs, the food, and the processing fees) were about $2.90 per lb hanging weight, and we sold it for $5.50 a lb so in theory it would have been a profitable operation if we'd sold all 3. Not that it would be worth it for the profit, since you'd have to scale it way bigger than I'd want to, but its ideal if the farm can pay for itself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
This is why the things I raise are marketed as pets/oddities and not straight meat. Very hard to make money unless you got a boyfriend running a chain of Portlandia style restaurants buying from you with a made up life history of each animal.

I remember doing the math on chicken eggs. Don't own a single chicken now. Cost more to feed them than I could get selling the eggs. (but that is not due entirely to costs, more do to not wanting to put them up each night. I'd actually keep 3 or 4 just for my own personal egg consumption otherwise).

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looking for input and advice on mower vs going straight to big dick mini tractor.

A $3k zero turn especially if it can handle some light brush is probably the most sensible. But a 20k kubota bx series with a back excavator seems like fun and allowing on demand work vs having to plan rentals. Besides French drain, want to build shooting berm, clear some saplings and big bushes, maybe dig out work ground for pens or gardening areas.

Id be concerned with muddy back area for zero turn or even a mini tractor. If it occasionally dries out I imagine brush hog or down when i can then let it ride. But part of wanting to address the moisture level.

I'm not familiar with zero turn brands, and like wise rather than going John deere/kubota, I wonder if there's other mini tractor companies that are worth looking at as the more light duty harbor freight vs l) commercial use.
If you are going to keep animals, a used Kubota/Deere/Case compact utility tractor with a front end loader will probably be more useful than a zero point turn mower (skid steers are bad ass, but cost toooo much). Best bet is to find a farm equipment auction place near you, or even in places you are willing to drive too. I would think most every auction house is doing the online thing with a good amount of pictures to look at.

If you are in Texas hill country (that picture looks like it), the closest truck/tractor/equipment auction is probably in Ft Worth, but unfortunately, they are 90% big machines. Ritchie Brothers have absolutely huge fully online auctions (Today they have an auction with 4,311 lots):

Also, I found this video informative:

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you are going to keep animals, a used Kubota/Deere/Case compact utility tractor with a front end loader will probably be more useful than a zero point turn mower (skid steers are bad ass, but cost toooo much). Best bet is to find a farm equipment auction place near you, or even in places you are willing to drive too. I would think most every auction house is doing the online thing with a good amount of pictures to look at.

If you are in Texas hill country (that picture looks like it), the closest truck/tractor/equipment auction is probably in Ft Worth, but unfortunately, they are 90% big machines. Ritchie Brothers have absolutely huge fully online auctions (Today they have an auction with 4,311 lots):

Also, I found this video informative:
Hour east of tulsa, pyror.

Because the front half probably can't be used for much, i kinda think of it as more 2-3 acres so figured mini tractor if i buy one rather than just try to rent. Might get my dads kubota bx with back hoe for a decent price. Otherwise if i can't find a used mini (casually looking i see a lot of those 2nd and 3rd steps up), i was going to look into like the kiotes for a more salable price if I'm not going to use very heavily.

Burns

Hour east of tulsa, pyror.

Because the front half probably can't be used for much, i kinda think of it as more 2-3 acres so figured mini tractor if i buy one rather than just try to rent. Might get my dads kubota bx with back hoe for a decent price. Otherwise if i can't find a used mini (casually looking i see a lot of those 2nd and 3rd steps up), i was going to look into like the kiotes for a more salable price if I'm not going to use very heavily.
Driven through Pryor 10+ times on the way up north, but all I remember is the police cars sittin in the speed traps...and for some reason I always think of OK as flat and boring (even though Lake Eufaula has some small ups and downs along i69).

It's only ~4 hours from Ft. Worth, so it might still be worth keeping an eye on. Dunno what OKC or Tulsa have in terms of auctions, but the midwest should have some good ones. Maybe Joplin or Springfield are a place to look too.

Of course getting that Kubota BX would be a perfect fit, so obviously you need to build your parents/dad a place out back and tell him he can move in if he brings the tractor.

• 1Like

Sludig

Driven through Pryor 10+ times on the way up north, but all I remember is the police cars sittin in the speed traps...and for some reason I always think of OK as flat and boring (even though Lake Eufaula has some small ups and downs along i69).

It's only ~4 hours from Ft. Worth, so it might still be worth keeping an eye on. Dunno what OKC or Tulsa have in terms of auctions, but the midwest should have some good ones. Maybe Joplin or Springfield are a place to look too.

Of course getting that Kubota BX would be a perfect fit, so obviously you need to build your parents/dad a place out back and tell him he can move in if he brings the tractor.
Ya. Forgot to say id love a tracked skidsteer. So many cool attachments and power but $$$.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've never driven one in real life but they are awesome in the game Eco

20220209112028_1.jpg

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Ever eat meat thats so tasty you sit around thinking about it after youre done eating?

For me thats usually only something that happens with great steak. But I'm a pork believer after tonight. Tonight we ate our first pork chops from the homegrown pigs. We've had the sausage already but this is the first real dig into the raw cuts of the pig.

I left the fat on as it came from the butcher, a good half inch on each chop, and cut the chops about 1/2 - 3/4 inches thick. Fat side up, roasted on low heat for a while with a basic spice rub to render all that fat down. Then on the grill for 20 min or so with a honey mustard glaze.

So fucking good. We decided tonight we're definitely doing another round of feeder pigs this year cause this pork is gonna be gone in year.

Something awesome about raising a pig with your kids - they honestly did the majority of the daily feedings - then watching them sit down and eat seconds and thirds of the grilled pork. If I'm being honest that probably influences the taste of the meat for me. But still, the best pork chops I've ever had.

• 4Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
this thing is the best thing you can ever get to cook your pork.

Yes it will take over 4 hours to cook, but it is hands down the best kind of pork youll ever eat.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
this thing is the best thing you can ever get to cook your pork.

Yes it will take over 4 hours to cook, but it is hands down the best kind of pork youll ever eat.

looks like a very overpriced and overly complicated pit bbq?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
looks like a very overpriced and overly complicated pit bbq?

Its how chinese get pork crispy on 2 sides, you can get the same results with a bit of angle iron, some expanded wire and some corrugated sheet metal and a friend with a buzzbox who learned to stick weld in 10th grade auto shop. I have probably made 30 of them in my life time, folks also love a BBQ grill made from an old beer keg.

Keg_grills_both_2_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:

Burns

Its how chinese get pork crispy on 2 sides, you can get the same results with a bit of angle iron, some expanded wire and some corrugated sheet metal and a friend with a buzzbox who learned to stick weld in 10th grade auto shop. I have probably made 30 of them in my life time, folks also love a BBQ grill made from an old beer keg.

Keg_grills_both_2_1024x1024@2x.jpg
If you are going to get all weldy, might as well make an ugly drum smoker. By regulating the air, you can have 8+ hour smokes and never need to refuel or even mess with it until it's done (if you can resist not checking it every 15 minutes). Also, you can make them without using a wielder.

No weld smoker (in depth build):

Some welded bells and whistles:

Go to town welded smoker (with extra specialty parts):

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
If you are going to get all weldy, might as well make an ugly drum smoker. By regulating the air, you can have 8+ hour smokes and never need to refuel or even mess with it until it's done (if you can resist not checking it every 15 minutes). Also, you can make them without using a wielder.

No weld smoker (in depth build):

Some welded bells and whistles:

Go to town welded smoker (with extra specialty parts):

The best smokers I have built for folks were are made from dead commercial refrigerators. They are stainless steel, insulated, have a lot of racks in them. Add a side mounted firebox at the bottom and a chimney on the roof with u-turn to keep the firebox from ramping up temp and the environment in a reduction atmosphere. You get low and slow 24 hr smokes.

Not much welding involved. You can probably fit a whole cow in the double door commercial fridges.

Gotta get lucky finding those before they end up in a scrap yard.

Burns

The best smokers I have built for folks were are made from dead commercial refrigerators. They are stainless steel, insulated, have a lot of racks in them. Add a side mounted firebox at the bottom and a chimney on the roof with u-turn to keep the firebox from ramping up temp and the environment in a reduction atmosphere. You get low and slow 24 hr smokes.

Not much welding involved. You can probably fit a whole cow in the double door commercial fridges.

Gotta get lucky finding those before they end up in a scrap yard.
Sounds interesting; may try to find some videos on it later, but finding such a fridge does sound next to impossible, unless you know a bunch of people with restaurants. Also, how long to the last and how trashy do they look sitting in your yard?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Sounds interesting; may try to find some videos on it later, but finding such a fridge does sound next to impossible, unless you know a bunch of people with restaurants. Also, how long to the last and how trashy do they look sitting in your yard?

Best way to find them is make friends with HVAC guys, they will tell you when they come across one that is no longer worth repairing and the customer is going to have to replace. Offer the distraught owner a couple bucks for the husk and to haul it away.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
IMG-6111.jpg

Ignore Ms. Blazin screwing up my shot, this is my favorite part of property walking under this greenway along a long line of mature walnut trees. Planted perennial rye a month ago with my new seeder and it's doing really well. Feel like so much I'm not able to be doing this season because of focusing on house. Starting my bank barn next week. House is nearing completion, I just finished painting walls and ceiling this week. I've had COVID for days giving me about the worst sore throat I'd ever had and hasn't helped progress.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Tried to order a offset flail mower and shit with supply really has not improved. They are still telling me "maybe" 2023. Sure wish this recession everyone keeps talking about happens soon so I can start finding the things I need.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
View attachment 415787

Ignore Ms. Blazin screwing up my shot, this is my favorite part of property walking under this greenway along a long line of mature walnut trees. Planted perennial rye a month ago with my new seeder and it's doing really well. Feel like so much I'm not able to be doing this season because of focusing on house. Starting my bank barn next week. House is nearing completion, I just finished painting walls and ceiling this week. I've had COVID for days giving me about the worst sore throat I'd ever had and hasn't helped progress.

Pardon me, but Ms. Blazin has some banging boobs.

• 1Truth!

Sludig

So got to Oklahoma, already getting a farmers tan. Still trying to work out how to use the land. I have a pond that I think is just rainfall and a bit of groundwater seepage from uphill. Seems to leech behind it's berm into the stand of tree's behind ought to be good shady mudhole for livestock.

But silly things to figure out like do I leave the back 3 acres pasture for goats and a cow or two vs keep them in smaller pens and try and grow grass then cut it for them. (like get a season or two baled before getting the livestock) THen again I've seen some people saying that the savings of growing out a young cow vs just buying a steer needing a month of finishing isnt worth it.

Still work full time, so souring I think on trying to do 1-2 acres of crops, seems like starting an orchard of fruit and maybe a few nut tree's might be lower maintenance, feed most of it to goats/chickens etc, some for ourselves. I need more rainy seasons to see how the water is sitting again, the back gets kinda thin layer of sitting water muddy from what I saw this spring. Just had it brush hogged of 2-3 years worth of wild shrub and tree's.

Hard to find some of the medium zero turn mowers in stock, waiting for a 60" XDX hustler. Then I really liked this 25 hp mahindra tractor the guy used, similiar engine to smaller kubota but wider track/tires/heavier. Had seen where the bx kubota's struggled with their backhoes etc lifting themselves up too much trying to do much work. Then really need a small trailer for a lot of things whenever my truck ever gets built. (ordered January, looking like might get it december...)

• 2Like