Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I still maintain that a Ruger 10/22 with a red/green dot sight shooting up cans at the dump is the most fun you can have with a firearm.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yesterday was a monumental day, I shot a groundhog with my pistol. You guys have seen enough pics of dead groundhogs. I was walking through my woods and heard it rustling some leaves and drew my carry and hit it. This is a proud day for me, I don't think I'm a very good marksman probably watch too many videos of extremely talented people setting bar too high but that is not an easy shot to make, groundhogs are extremely skittish and it's normally challenging enough to hit them at a distance with rifle/optics . I also got another with a rifle this week that was my longest shot yet, but had nice elevation on it and was able to lay down. Prone shooting is cheat mode.
What did you shoot him with? For some reason I imagine you pulling a 9mm on him loaded with federal HST and it gives me a chuckle.
I don’t envy you guys with ground hogs..

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I still maintain that a Ruger 10/22 with a red/green dot sight shooting up cans at the dump is the most fun you can have with a firearm.
You forgot to add “with a suppressor”

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
What did you shoot him with? For some reason I imagine you pulling a 9mm on him loaded with federal HST and it gives me a chuckle.
I don’t envy you guys with ground hogs..
Browning 1911 , the S&W 9mm is bedside

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Look if you aren't head shotting groundhogs with a colt navy cap and ball you are a straight noob.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
research best 3pt implement for grading and get a million answers… I have a box blade which I’ll use for more intensive grading but I need something to smooth out this incline where I’m going to plant. It just has some low spots/divets, etc. I could back track with FEL but I really wanna be lazy and get a nice finish… I need something where I can bring in some dirt, pull it and it’ll fill in all these low spots. I haven’t used my box blade yet but it doesn’t seem ideal for this. Lots of people recommended landscape rakes… Some people recommending land planes. Any suggestions on an implement? The hard part about a box blade is that it’s on an incline..

Should I just give the box blade a try? I really don’t want to make this worse.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
research best 3pt implement for grading and get a million answers… I have a box blade which I’ll use for more intensive grading but I need something to smooth out this incline where I’m going to plant. It just has some low spots/divets, etc. I could back track with FEL but I really wanna be lazy and get a nice finish… I need something where I can bring in some dirt, pull it and it’ll fill in all these low spots. I haven’t used my box blade yet but it doesn’t seem ideal for this. Lots of people recommended landscape rakes… Some people recommending land planes. Any suggestions on an implement? The hard part about a box blade is that it’s on an incline..

Should I just give the box blade a try? I really don’t want to make this worse.

Harrow and then roller.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Groundhog What GIF

Better with sound.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I regret killing the "varmints" I have over the years. Unless they are killing your animals, leave them be.

• 1Seriously?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Screenshot 2023-11-13 2.40.48 PM.png

See that light area? That's the prairie dog town on google earth. It's a different color because they keep the grass in that area basically chewed down to bare dirt. That spot is roughly 40 acres but I bet that the spot is 50% bigger now since this imagery is from 2016.

Here's a zoomed in version. Probably not many rodents can say that their work is visible from space.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 3.43.02 PM.png

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anyone here have a top and tilt on your tractor? If so do you have float valves? Do you have a third remote? If so why?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone here have a top and tilt on your tractor? If so do you have float valves? Do you have a third remote? If so why?
I don't have one, the one feature I wanted that I didn't do at purchase. With certain types of implements it can be a nice feature to have. It's on the list.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don't have one, the one feature I wanted that I didn't do at purchase. With certain types of implements it can be a nice feature to have. It's on the list.
I have one on order but I’m realizing I didn’t do near enough research into the setup… I’m honestly a bit burned out from all the learning of homesteading the past year. It’s fun and I love it but just wanna chill… Anyways trying to figure out if I need rear remotes, float valves etc. My main purpose will be for grading and from my preliminary research earlier today it seems like float valve could be ideal for this.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have one on order but I’m realizing I didn’t do near enough research into the setup… I’m honestly a bit burned out from all the learning of homesteading the past year. It’s fun and I love it but just wanna chill… Anyways trying to figure out if I need rear remotes, float valves etc. My main purpose will be for grading and from my preliminary research earlier today it seems like float valve could be ideal for this.
Top link is not normally "floated" as far as I'm aware. THe remote valves will likely not be able to without replacement.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Top link is not normally "floated" as far as I'm aware. THe remote valves will likely not be able to without replacement.
Gotcha. I have like 10 open tabs from earlier to do research on this. I’ll get back to you with my findings. It seems a lot of people have issues with oem Kubota valves leaking…

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Just be careful about 3rd party stuff. Kubota does sell a Top N Tilt set up for a decent part of their line up. Be mindful that a top N tilt gives you another control that can do damage to tractor and implement that wouldn't happen with manual adjustments.

To your earlier posts I do think that the box blade is the most versatile of the spreading/lvling tools. THe specialized implements can do different parts better but if you have just one, then the box blade is pretty much the go to. Tractor time with Tim, outdoor with the morgans etc have some good videos about doing that type work.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Guy came out to quote me for alarm and camera for the house. He went around back to see the back of the house and was like "that's a pretty good damned big fence. How big is the back yard?" I told him just under half an acre. "That's a lot of fence". I like my privacy. He laughed.

Maybe I will start referring to this as my compound.

Burns

Guy came out to quote me for alarm and camera for the house. He went around back to see the back of the house and was like "that's a pretty good damned big fence. How big is the back yard?" I told him just under half an acre. "That's a lot of fence". I like my privacy. He laughed.

Maybe I will start referring to this as my compound.
Hopefully that's a local alarm/camera company that mostly focuses on camera sales/installs. Since monitored alarms are next to worthless and the cameras that companies like ADT sell are probably multiple generations behind.

Unless you are planning on inside and outside cameras where the monitoring company can verify an intruder, the police put alarm calls as lowest priority where they get there when they get there. Last study I saw analyzing security alarm calls, they said that false alarms were responsible for wasting some silly amount of taxpayer money.