Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looks like my MF 1736 gets here this weekend. Loader, forks for now. Dad's trailer that was too big for his lil kubota is almost too small for this, so sadly the brush hog and anything else is gonna have to be a 2nd trip. I'm scared of buying more complicated implements like a hog used since I dont know how to spot a bunk one, but might swing that way rather than having him make a 2nd trip from CO to OK.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Just be careful about 3rd party stuff. Kubota does sell a Top N Tilt set up for a decent part of their line up. Be mindful that a top N tilt gives you another control that can do damage to tractor and implement that wouldn't happen with manual adjustments.

To your earlier posts I do think that the box blade is the most versatile of the spreading/lvling tools. THe specialized implements can do different parts better but if you have just one, then the box blade is pretty much the go to. Tractor time with Tim, outdoor with the morgans etc have some good videos about doing that type work.
I would prefer not to go third party. I will say Brian over at fit rite hydraulics (Fit Rite Hydraulics - fitritehydraulics.com) has a very very loyal following on orangetractortalks.com

Brian actually has a decent explanation of float valves here Float function.

It seems like idea is that you can switch to these valves as needed. I haven’t deep dived it yet today but I think Kubota makes them as part of an option to their top n tilt kit. I’m primary doing grading on the 3 point and none of my property is level, nothing too wild as it’s Florida but still.

Yeah I think I have a video of Tim’s pulled up on my computer that I need to watch today.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Guy came out to quote me for alarm and camera for the house. He went around back to see the back of the house and was like "that's a pretty good damned big fence. How big is the back yard?" I told him just under half an acre. "That's a lot of fence". I like my privacy. He laughed.

Maybe I will start referring to this as my compound.
IMG_4340.gif

This probably isn’t the thread for it but what are you doing for camera and alarm setup? I’ve used Arlo for three years to monitor a good bit of my property but over this past year their new hardware and app has given me nothing but trouble.

Their big selling point to me was that their CV models can recognize any animal I have (bear, deer, coyote, rabbit, etc).

I’m looking into potentially giving blue iris a shot using it with codeproject.ai. Maybe I’ll start an IPCam thread..

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hopefully that's a local alarm/camera company that mostly focuses on camera sales/installs. Since monitored alarms are next to worthless and the cameras that companies like ADT sell are probably multiple generations behind.

Unless you are planning on inside and outside cameras where the monitoring company can verify an intruder, the police put alarm calls as lowest priority where they get there when they get there. Last study I saw analyzing security alarm calls, they said that false alarms were responsible for wasting some silly amount of taxpayer money.
It's a local company, not a company like ADT. All monitored on my phone.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
View attachment 500340

This probably isn’t the thread for it but what are you doing for camera and alarm setup? I’ve used Arlo for three years to monitor a good bit of my property but over this past year their new hardware and app has given me nothing but trouble.

Their big selling point to me was that their CV models can recognize any animal I have (bear, deer, coyote, rabbit, etc).

I’m looking into potentially giving blue iris a shot using it with codeproject.ai. Maybe I’ll start an IPCam thread..
I just got the quote and haven't looked at the specs yet. I don't see a need for an alarm living where I do but I like the cameras around the outside of the house. #1 reason is I like watching the dogs play in the back yard while I am working. Great stress reliever.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Hopefully that's a local alarm/camera company that mostly focuses on camera sales/installs. Since monitored alarms are next to worthless and the cameras that companies like ADT sell are probably multiple generations behind.

Unless you are planning on inside and outside cameras where the monitoring company can verify an intruder, the police put alarm calls as lowest priority where they get there when they get there. Last study I saw analyzing security alarm calls, they said that false alarms were responsible for wasting some silly amount of taxpayer money.
This. I’d honestly run a ring home security system. I’ve run one for the past year and love it. I have it auto arm at night. All my doors have open sensors, I have glass break sensors, a panic button in my bedroom and one right next to the front door.

Also he’s right. I’d never pay anyone to do cameras. My neighbor did, he’s older, now they all aren’t working and I’m actually swinging by tomorrow to try to fix them for him… They cost him an absolutely insane amount of money. You’d be better off doing a ring/wyze/nest/arlo camera setup unless you wanna be hardcore and go ipcams which at the moment from my research are a bit behind on their AI models for object recognition when compared to CoTS cloud cameras.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This. I’d honestly run a ring home security system. I’ve run one for the past year and love it. I have it auto arm at night. All my doors have open sensors, I have glass break sensors, a panic button in my bedroom and one right next to the front door.

Also he’s right. I’d never pay anyone to do cameras. My neighbor did, he’s older, now they all aren’t working and I’m actually swinging by tomorrow to try to fix them for him… They cost him an absolutely insane amount of money. You’d be better off doing a ring/wyze/nest/arlo camera setup unless you wanna be hardcore and go ipcams which at the moment from my research are a bit behind on their AI models for object recognition when compared to CoTS cloud cameras.
The guy who gave me the quote is a client. If I have him do it, I'll barter the cost with the accounting work we do for him. While I can do it myself, sometimes it's nice to have someone else climbing the ladder.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I just got the quote and haven't looked at the specs yet. I don't see a need for an alarm living where I do but I like the cameras around the outside of the house. #1 reason is I like watching the dogs play in the back yard while I am working. Great stress reliever.
Gotcha. I didn’t think I’d ever need an alarm but I had a home invasion last year, the one night I forgot to lock the front door. Some crazy lady from a subdivision that sits next to my property wandered on and came in my house while I was sleeping. I now have doors that auto lock after 4 minutes and a complete ring system. Cameras are great but I found out the hard way that they’re kinda useless if you’re asleep.

I was able to give the sheriffs office some 90-100 videos of her wandering around my property and house over a 3 hour timespan. Worked out great because I caught her on video talking to herself about “should I take these”? Also my Arlo doorbell caught her lifting her shirt to open my doorknob (no fingerprints).

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The guy who gave me the quote is a client. If I have him do it, I'll barter the cost with the accounting work we do for him. While I can do it myself, sometimes it's nice to have someone else climbing the ladder.
Ah I see. It sounds like you have a good relationship, in that case go for it. The guys that did my neighbors left him high and dry. I assume he’s doing an ipcam setup? Any idea what cameras and software he’s going to use?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Gotcha. I didn’t think I’d ever need an alarm but I had a home invasion last year, the one night I forgot to lock the front door. Some crazy lady from a subdivision that sits next to my property wandered on and came in my house while I was sleeping. I now have doors that auto lock after 4 minutes and a complete ring system. Cameras are great but I found out the hard way that they’re kinda useless if you’re asleep.

I was able to give the sheriffs office some 90-100 videos of her wandering around my property and house over a 3 hour timespan. Worked out great because I caught her on video talking to herself about “should I take these”? Also my Arlo doorbell caught her lifting her shirt to open my doorknob (no fingerprints).
Someone wandering on to my property or into my house is gonna have an 85 pound bad day.

Westminster Dog Show Lenny GIF by Westminster Kennel Club

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ah I see. It sounds like you have a good relationship, in that case go for it. The guys that did my neighbors left him high and dry. I assume he’s doing an ipcam setup? Any idea what cameras and software he’s going to use?
Not yet.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Looks like my MF 1736 gets here this weekend. Loader, forks for now. Dad's trailer that was too big for his lil kubota is almost too small for this, so sadly the brush hog and anything else is gonna have to be a 2nd trip. I'm scared of buying more complicated implements like a hog used since I dont know how to spot a bunk one, but might swing that way rather than having him make a 2nd trip from CO to OK.
Nice! Enjoy it. I can’t believe how much I’m using my tractor now. Already at 21 hours. The service intervals are so small on these things… Every 50 hours.. It’s almost giving me an excuse to buy a trailer for it and the UTV.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Someone wandering on to my property or into my house is gonna have an 85 pound bad day.

Westminster Dog Show Lenny GIF by Westminster Kennel Club
That’ll do it. The one thing I don’t have.. I know I had asked you who your trainer was a while back. Was never able to find them. Buying a fully trained German or Belgium is $$$$$$$ that I have a hard time swallowing for something that’s a living creature.. Maybe next year I’ll give a try getting one and training myself.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That’ll do it. The one thing I don’t have.. I know I had asked you who your trainer was a while back. Was never able to find them. Buying a fully trained German or Belgium is $$$$$$$ that I have a hard time swallowing for something that’s a living creature.. Maybe next year I’ll give a try getting one and training myself.
There is a local guy here with 20+ years experience with dogs. Has K-9 background. He will do a 30 day dog boot camp (the dog boards with him) in the $3k range. This isn't k-9 training, but all the basics (leashed/no leash walking, bed, come, stay, etc). This is good for 99% of dogs people will own that aren't specifically work dogs.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
ok I did my research. I want at least 2 floating valves. The valves only float if you “make” them. I primarily want them to be able to float my box blade on the top n tilt to follow inclined contour and for more granularity in grading. From my reading most people end up regretting not just adding a third remote at this point as it’s more expensive to do later. So I’ll add a third with a SCV. In theory I could use that with a box blade with hydraulic shanks.

My Kubota salesman is clueless. I’m honestly amazed at out he has this job… Unfortunately it seems they’re out of the valves and third remote. I need this to grade some contour next month so I’ll see if Messicks or someone else has the parts.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So I’m done with. I’m done renting equipment. I’ve been renting stuff from a big name rental company here in Florida. 80% of the time their shit breaks on me but I go back like an abused whore because if you rent on a Friday and bring back Monday morning they’ll only charge you one day (unless you go over 8 hours).

I’ve tried full size wood chippers, never worked, gave up renting those. Had a tracked stump grinder have one of its teeth fly off, thankfully not hitting me/anyone. Finally yesterday after towing the utv to the dealer with a tandem axle dual ramp trailer I rented from them, the locking clevis pin that they undersized to secure one of the ramps bounced loose on the interstate and ramp went down…

Thankfully ramp didn’t fully slide off. From inside the truck you can’t see the ramp when it’s down so I thought it had and was flipping the fuck out. Thankfully I keep a locking clevis pin in my truck for pulling my utility trailer.

So I’m just gonna buy a trailer. I’ll use it to tow my canam defender and Kubota L3902. Looking for suggestions. I don’t really want gooseneck, I don’t have a gooseneck hitch and don’t wanna lose bed space when towing. I think 20 ft should be good - it’ll give enough space for Kubota with loader + a rear implement. I could size up to 22 ft but I honestly rarely see myself even towing it with an implement.

I don’t want a tilt. Tilts are great for what they are and many people say they’re safer, however it would suck loading multiple things in there like my sxs, buddy’s atv, and other random shit. Also from my experience renting tilts I don’t like the feeling of loading them.

So low profile equipment hauler with ramps it is. The question - Should I get dovetail or no dovetail?

Looking at one of these two. one in image has “mega ramps” which are nice but it seems like in order to fold them all the way down you’d have to lose some trailering space..

IMG_4374.jpeg
IMG_4375.jpeg

The second option is a pipe top utility trailer. This one has slide in ramps.
The load capacity is slightly lower but more than I think I’d ever need..

IMG_4376.jpeg

Downsides I’ve heard of dovetail is it can scrape when trailering on incline.. Not a ton of those in Florida. The utility trailer could be useful for more than just towing sxs or tractor? Upside to equipment trailer imo is wider ramp option, ability to load stuff from side without rails getting in the way, can potentially hold something wider than width of trailer (only where it wouldn’t run into side fenders though)

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks like a decent trailer/setup. I"m waiting for a recession before I buy any more equipment, I want to see some real desperation of I need to feed my kids in their eyes. Just done with the pricing, trailers like these have gone up 30-40% percent

Goatface

1700154674197.png

i prefer gate ramps, especially for non-equipment. can hand truck or roll stuff a lot easier.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Harrow and then roller.
Hey Dirk. Just to clarify - I assume you mean drag harrows? I haven’t researched them much other than seeing someone say they use them to tear up grass before planting. I know there are disc harrows but I don’t think that is what you are referring to(?)