Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If they're like chickens then mating is basically rape so they don't really need to like each other.
eh, maybe they just like it rough?

thing is, the hens get into position at the drop of a hat. Some of our hens get into position if a person or dog walks too close. hows a rooster supposed to resist that?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
eh, maybe they just like it rough?

thing is, the hens get into position at the drop of a hat. Some of our hens get into position if a person or dog walks too close. hows a rooster supposed to resist that?
SHE WASS JUST ASKING FOR IT

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Some birds are tender. Emus fall in between, the males actually sit the eggs.

Same with rhea. Uncle ben at urban rescue ranch can thank this asshole dinosaur for making him famous on the internet, he went from having a few pens set up at a crack house to full licensed rehabilitation center over a few years.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
kill cone. hanging em upside down is the easiest way to drain the blood out anyway which you want to do even if its just going to stock.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
hatchets really don't work well for this application. You need a bone chopper.

But +1 to removing the head, if you have any interest in doing it quickly and humanely thats the only way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Between this place and some searches I've done I'm seeing about a 50/50 split on decapitation vs throat slitting. Maybe it's a matter of volume, if you're processing a significant number of birds each year you'll get a lot more practice placing the cuts.

Also seen multiple recommendations for using a dedicated set of tree loppers as your decap tool.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I grew up chopping heads and just recently switched to the slit throat/kill cone and I think it's better. Nice and quiet without all the flopping around, torn skin and broken bones you get from severing the spinal cord.

• 1Truth!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have dispatched my fair share of birds as of late and I definitely would vote for slit throat both sides, in a kill cone. They will bleed out with almost no response until they death throw. Chopping head off causes too much spasms, can result in damaged parts and does a poorer job draining blood. Need a good knife and get practiced making the cut.

I put the bird facing away from me in the cone, I have one hand hold the head and then slit each side. They will definitely respond if you cut the air way or esophagus . If I feel the nice gush of blood on my holding hand I know I got a good cut.

Type of knife that has worked best for me is a flexible curved boning knife

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I use a disposable blade folding scalpel. Same knife I used for castrating calves. You can't even feel yourself being cut by it. The downside is, especially with the calves, things start jumping around and you touch that blade, you are 100% getting cut.

41KJ85hxevL._AC_.jpg

Sludig

chest freezers.

got my first, not sure if it's fucked up. box etc looked undamaged. On the back wall it's all soft ish insulated aluminum. there's one small spot that's cold to the touch with minor condensation but isn't like dripping. it is above and a little too the side of the compressor etc.

normal?

Few things I got inside are frozen fine, got half a beef coming. concerned about it just running extra or something.

Sludig

My wife doesn't part with goats, I think I'm close to going behind her back and murdering at least one of the bucks. Guess I should start looking at processing video's on youtube.. Any pointers for non guccii good skinning knives that come suitably sharp out of the box? Discovered my knives suck when processing a hen that died of a heart attack right in front of me.

Dwarfs and theyve still now today managed to pop several strands of heavier 14gauge fencing!!@

Try to be nice to our miracle cunt who came back from a snapped femur. Months in a recovery pen in a cast. But as an adult, he's much more foul than the other whethers. He has a elvis head curl and a giant beard. And now and then I get soft and will scratch his head, which usually triggers him thinking it's time to stick his cock out 8 inches and piss on his own face and catching me with it.

Wonder if the meat will be worse if I strangled it to death out of revenge, or just a shot through the head before hanging it.

Sludig

woven wire fencing
That's what I have I thought, let me grab a pic in a minute as I'm about to go work on patching where they ripped some away from the fence (though that's more on the way fence folk installed it.

Buck got his horns through the square openings and popped a few individual strands.

Aside from this cunt, the rest are mostly fine, though I get sick of trying to pour feed in their feeders and they spill it everywhere when they headbutt my bucket or push their way into the stream of food, young ones still like jumping into the feeder etc.

Have one baby that's like 5-6 months and still actually will jump into our arms, even if I dont want it to, it will trust jump and hit the ground hard if I dont catch it. Even I'll admit that's a little cute.

But downsizing the farm while I'm still working full time is probably needed, if nothing else I"m going to be very limited for a wee bit, hopefully having a total disc replacement done in a month or so.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Put a nice hot 3 wire electric fence in front of that fence and teach them some manners.

Sludig

Put a nice hot 3 wire electric fence in front of that fence and teach them some manners.
the way some of it was pushed down almost think my mini donkeys tried climbing, emus not that heavy. most of the fence is fine but this is right by the gate where feed is and they get teased by that young stud dick on the other side

• 1Like