Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I went with Kubota (despite being more costly than JD) because I have a major dealer right near me, and this is helpful from a support stand point. I think for the utility tractor segment I would consider the two to be on par with each other. Funny irony is this week I had to tow my neighbors JD after he got stuck, should have taken a video the internet loves an orange vs green fight. I don't really care about the whole pick a sports ball team type thinking.

Another factor that put me towards kubota is implements and I'm a big fan of Land Pride (which is Kubota's implement side). The quality is top notch, you can really see it in the weight of the steel used. There is a lot of junk out there, maybe get something like a box blade for hundreds of dollars less than you look at the weight and see the same size implement weighs 300lbs less because of skipping on the materials not properly beefing up stress pts etc.

My implements so far:
Land Pride Box Blade
Land Pride All purpose seeder
Land Pride Snow Blade
Virnig Grapple (Root Rake)
Paladin Pallet Forks
Kubota Material Bucket
Ag Spray 3 pt Sprayer
Del Morino offset Flail Mower

Things still on the wish list
Auger
Wood Chipper
Square Bailer
Rake
Windrower

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I went with Kubota (despite being more costly than JD) because I have a major dealer right near me, and this is helpful from a support stand point. I think for the utility tractor segment I would consider the two to be on par with each other. Funny irony is this week I had to tow my neighbors JD after he got stuck, should have taken a video the internet loves an orange vs green fight. I don't really care about the whole pick a sports ball team type thinking.

Another factor that put me towards kubota is implements and I'm a big fan of Land Pride (which is Kubota's implement side). The quality is top notch, you can really see it in the weight of the steel used. There is a lot of junk out there, maybe get something like a box blade for hundreds of dollars less than you look at the weight and see the same size implement weighs 300lbs less because of skipping on the materials not properly beefing up stress pts etc.

My implements so far:
Land Pride Box Blade
Land Pride All purpose seeder
Land Pride Snow Blade
Virnig Grapple (Root Rake)
Paladin Pallet Forks
Kubota Material Bucket
Ag Spray 3 pt Sprayer
Del Morino offset Flail Mower

Things still on the wish list
Auger
Wood Chipper
Square Bailer
Rake
Windrower
Nice. I’d like an auger but haven’t done research. I did a shit ton of research on wood chippers. I’d go with a hydrostatic woodmaxx if I were you. Specifically this one

There may be bigger ones out there but I wasn’t willing to spend over 6k on a wood chipper.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Old guy on the gun forum has this tiller used a couple times for 175. Website price is a little sky high, I think they were selling a little closer to like 350 on sale. Just excited if as advertised, needed something beefier by not to the tractor level yet. Had a little electric sun Joe that was alright for already loose maintained soil but not virginity packed ground.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
lurkingdirk lurkingdirk Izo Izo Can you guys help me assess my farm assets? Should I get rid of this goat?
IMG-7899.jpg

• 3Mother of God
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Molten Core Raider
That goat is cute. Everyone would think you were a real boob if you did that. Be as silly as trying to swim the ocean with a breast stroke.

• 3Worf
  • 2Rimshot
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Sludig

Curious for those of you running mixed chicken and turkey flocks - how concerned are you of blackhead? I was initially wanting to do this but blackhead kinda gave me cold feet. My property is also loaded with wild turkeys. One of them recently kicked my chickens out of their free ranging spot. My rooster cucked out of that one.
Never heard of it, I only got a couple as pets but had all the chick's survive even I thought I'd lose a few. There's also geese and guineas running around.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Any of you tried a tooth bar on your FEL? I’m thinking of grabbing a piranha tooth bar.. People seem to rave about it..

I haven’t , if I need to dig i have an excavator friend I can get a digging bucket from but I could see that being a cheaper alternative than having a material and a digging bucket .

I had intended to raise turkey this year and it’s just one of the things I had to put the breaks on from taking on a little too much .

I think it would be cool to just have some heritage birds to keep because they are neat looking

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As someone who has dug with a tractor bucket a lot it is really the wrong tool for the job if you want to dig. If you're not doing it on a regular basis you're better off just renting a mini excavator for a day and doing the job right. You can do a 10x better job in 1/4 of the time. Those phony ass 3 point backhoes aren't much better. I have one of those too. It works, but just barely. A mini-ex will run circles around it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

I've got a pretty huge stew stockpot, hoping it's big enough to scald my goose I'm going to have to put down tommorow. Don't have a turkey fryer burner unless I spot one at store today for a good price. So planned on just pouring in already near boiling water over a small wood fire perhaps.

Not sure if I'll also do some of the turkeys or anything. Need to see how plucking a very thick dense feathered goose goes. Torn on 12g or splitting maul to try ensure quick head deletion/sever, I'm not going to be able to cleanly slice a throat, too personal and I'm sure like a 16 yr old girl, I'll leave hesitation marks trying to do it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Have two chicken related questions.

First - grandpa’s feeders. I have two of them. The food doesn’t “self feed” down at all so I have to go and push it down. This could maybe be because I’m using crumbles? Dunno. The company wasn’t much help. Told me to angle it. Tried that on blocks. No dice.

Any recs on feeders for covered runs?

Next food… I’ve being using purina flock raider crumbles because I run a mixed age flock. My youngest chickens are now about 16 weeks. This stuff turns to dust constantly… It wastes so much food and they won’t eat it. So again, I have to manually intervene to fix this. I’m wondering if Florida humidity breaks it down? Dunno.

Thinking maybe they are old enough to try the pellet version. Wondering if that’s any better. Has anyone had a similar experience?

This is my rooster giving me side wing. He’s a gud bird tho - he only flogs people who kick at him when he side wings you. You just gotta let him do his thing and he’s cool.

IMG_3835.jpeg