Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Fate0311

Macho Ma'am
<Banned>
I want to put in an economical irrigation system for a small piece of my property where I will be gardening and putting in new lawn. I want to run PEX from an outside spicket to the garden. I would run a trench using a middle-buster on my JD 3039R tractor. Thoughts?

Note: I am not concerned about water pressure, it is a municipal water supply, and not only that, but I can put in a booster pump if needed.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
God damn dandelions. My front yard has them bad this year. Barely made a dent after 2 packed down 5g buckets.

Not sure what I can read them with because as is typical for the rural area my lawn is a mix of grass but also large areas of clover or other plants I don't know the name of, but I suspect would die out from a carpet bombing.

I need to seed a few areas as well, and my concern is 2-4d it something that kills broad leaf I think will also kill new grass?
Yeah broad leaf herbicides will for the most part nuke anything it touches. There’s some exceptions to plants that have waxy coatings and the like. I’d encourage to embrace the “chaos”. Land wasn’t meant to be artificially turfed and manicured to perfection. You’ll spend a lot of money and time chasing that.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I want to put in an economical irrigation system for a small piece of my property where I will be gardening and putting in new lawn. I want to run PEX from an outside spicket to the garden. I would run a trench using a middle-buster on my JD 3039R tractor. Thoughts?

Note: I am not concerned about water pressure, it is a municipal water supply, and not only that, but I can put in a booster pump if needed.
Why pex and not schedule 40? Yeah just tap the line going to the spicket. I ran water 300 ft to my chicken coop doing this no problem. Easy job.

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
God damn dandelions. My front yard has them bad this year. Barely made a dent after 2 packed down 5g buckets.

Not sure what I can read them with because as is typical for the rural area my lawn is a mix of grass but also large areas of clover or other plants I don't know the name of, but I suspect would die out from a carpet bombing.

I need to seed a few areas as well, and my concern is 2-4d it something that kills broad leaf I think will also kill new grass?
Get dandelions under control first then seed. MEC D will do wonders, has 2 4 D in it. Won't hurt to seed after as a good rain should wash it away.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My fuckin yard ruined after the rains last few weeks...

aaa.jpg

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't. Probably got an infection. It's not hard to kill a chicken. Unless it's multiple birds then finding a chicken dead is just part of having chickens. She could have had a heart attack or whatever.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't. Probably got an infection. It's not hard to kill a chicken. Unless it's multiple birds then finding a chicken dead is just part of having chickens. She could have had a heart attack or whatever.
Too late. Already sent her out. At least it’ll help me better diagnose in the future. Yeah I’m thinking it was some sort of infection. Would looked fine/was healing but she was slowly doing worse and worse - sluggish, sitting etc.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This back area is only 3-4 acres, and probably not written bothering with, the goats largely seem to avoid the grass anyways. Though I have not mowed any of this all since last like October thru now despite warmth and wind.

But I still feel like I'd like a greener nicer grass field that I could get custom baled once or twice to give me some for winter.

Local ag place was saying around $500 to do a round of fertilizer roughly. Just not sure it's worth it if the field is good rough or if it does explode if I don't get it bailed.

Over the last 2 years I 95% elongate toxic milk weed, have one tiny patch still coming up.

But I'm not sure what this tall brown grass is the goats don't touch is, then I have areas all green but a good chunk that's all patchy with thatch. Some of those thatchy areas are where a good chunk of the year its varying degrees of muddy or even surface water from run off up hill.

So I'm not sure what I need to do to improve this plot and if that is even worth doing vs leaving as is. Some day may have a mini cow or two but I'm trying to avoid it.
BrutulTM BrutulTM
1000003992.jpg
1000003993.jpg
1000003994.jpg
1000003995.jpg
1000003996.jpg

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Spend a little money to get a soil sample done. Or just shoot in the dark and broadcast something like 17-17-17 across it yourself.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Why pex and not schedule 40? Yeah just tap the line going to the spicket. I ran water 300 ft to my chicken coop doing this no problem. Easy job.

I feel like you’re doing good if you’re only losing one chicken to random death every quarter.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I feel like you’re doing good if you’re only losing one chicken to random death every quarter.
Just got the preliminary necropsy back. Looks like fatty liver/blood clots or some shit. I’ll post the exact thing tomorrow and maybe you guys can interpret it.

Sludig

Spend a little money to get a soil sample done. Or just shoot in the dark and broadcast something like 17-17-17 across it yourself.
I did for free through the extension. Been 2 years so I imight take another and better because I'm not sure I got deep enough last time. I know my soil is fairly deficient, I think a result of so much rain water that washes through compared to any other flat place, I'm half way up a hill and another 100m down from me is the creek on neighbors land. I'm happy I'm in ag central so a few places around me, without seeing the analysis the $500 was just a kinda ballpark for what's commonly bought, though he had said a few ingredients are up again like I've heard is happening for a couple years now. That's taking a giant bin of theirs home and spreading it myself. He might have estimated high too for my actual land size, and that of that 3 acres, there's maybe 1 of it that would be less ideal to waste the fert on or already grows nice so gets me down to closer to 2 prime acres I'm trying to grow well.

Just not sure if the fert will magically make everything grow thicker better and choke out a few less than desirable stuff. There's a few things mixed in with the grasses, but the goats and emu enjoy the random raspberries everywhere.

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nitrogen went down. I know the 46 0 0 we sell went down about 8 bucks a bag from last year. Potash never seems to go down though.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
This back area is only 3-4 acres, and probably not written bothering with, the goats largely seem to avoid the grass anyways. Though I have not mowed any of this all since last like October thru now despite warmth and wind.

But I still feel like I'd like a greener nicer grass field that I could get custom baled once or twice to give me some for winter.

Local ag place was saying around $500 to do a round of fertilizer roughly. Just not sure it's worth it if the field is good rough or if it does explode if I don't get it bailed.

Over the last 2 years I 95% elongate toxic milk weed, have one tiny patch still coming up.

But I'm not sure what this tall brown grass is the goats don't touch is, then I have areas all green but a good chunk that's all patchy with thatch. Some of those thatchy areas are where a good chunk of the year its varying degrees of muddy or even surface water from run off up hill.

So I'm not sure what I need to do to improve this plot and if that is even worth doing vs leaving as is. Some day may have a mini cow or two but I'm trying to avoid it.
BrutulTM BrutulTM
View attachment 523783View attachment 523784View attachment 523785View attachment 523786View attachment 523787
What part of the country are you in? Obviously you're in the south in a higher rainfall area. I don't know those grasses but maybe you have a mixture of warm season and cool season grasses and your warm season grass has shut down for the year.

Goats are browsers rather than grazers so while they will eat grass, they prefer forbs and brush and leaves and whatnot. Cattle eat grass predominately and sheep are in between, eating a bit of each.

I doubt you'll see your money back from fertilizing and haying. Cutting hay is the worst thing you can do for your soil, taking all the nutrients out of the soil and not putting anything back. That said, it's probably not as detrimental where you are as it is in my environment.

I take it your goal is just to not have that brown grass showing in the winter time?

EDIT: There's an app called "picture this" which can identify plants that you take a picture of. It might not work too well right now but if you can get a pic that includes the seed head it's pretty accurate even on grasses. Of course the extension office could help you with identifying plants as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sludig

What part of the country are you in? Obviously you're in the south in a higher rainfall area. I don't know those grasses but maybe you have a mixture of warm season and cool season grasses and your warm season grass has shut down for the year.

Goats are browsers rather than grazers so while they will eat grass, they prefer forbs and brush and leaves and whatnot. Cattle eat grass predominately and sheep are in between, eating a bit of each.

I doubt you'll see your money back from fertilizing and haying. Cutting hay is the worst thing you can do for your soil, taking all the nutrients out of the soil and not putting anything back. That said, it's probably not as detrimental where you are as it is in my environment.

I take it your goal is just to not have that brown grass showing in the winter time?

EDIT: There's an app called "picture this" which can identify plants that you take a picture of. It might not work too well right now but if you can get a pic that includes the seed head it's pretty accurate even on grasses. Of course the extension office could help you with identifying plants as well.
You wound me forgetting, eastern Oklahoma "green country".

I would say the extension guy that comes out isn't the best, a lot of things he wanted to take a sample to give to others to identify lol. I'm hobby farming so making money back isn't always the goal, just kinda want food security for my critters in the winter rather than relying on buying hay, sometimes if you wait a little too long or something it kinda dries up and gets real pricey.

I wish I could let my donkeys just roam out there, but they need a dry lot, or else risking overeating and all kinds of issues turning a desert animal loose on a forest. I wonder how my ram would do that lives with them, he's seperate as for now we've left him intact so I dont need him running wild on the goat does. That and he's regrowing his horns after they were cut by someone, so for now he loses badly to a smaller horned goat.

I'm sure no matter what I'll get brown in winter, I just don't like when everythings lush I still have brown out there seems bad. I feel like I want to burn it all down and let it regrow but challenges with neighbors house right over fence line and controlling emu's during the process, retards I bet would run straight into the blaze. But it's probably my city showing through that I want just a pretty green field though I know it's possible seeing other properties. Same way I wish my 2 acre "lawn" was straight grass and not this kinda mix of things.

Ultimately, the fact that I could probably grow rice back there is going to be I think the biggest detriment both to what will grow nice, and trying to work the field as it's so deep mud spring through to late summer or whenever we stop getting rain for 3 weeks or so.

Finally getting to the point where I might go for a sales tax exempt w/ the state and file a Form F or whatever w/ IRS which is needed. Goat herd is about established where I want and will be selling all future babies, and I've got fancy geese I've been selling eggs for $25/goslings for $125. It's pocket change, but it at least is to where the farm is close to sorta paying for itself minus my time.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
just kinda want food security for my critters in the winter rather than relying on buying hay, sometimes if you wait a little too long or something it kinda dries up and gets real pricey.
Hay is nuts. In my area it ranges from $4 a bale to $15 a bale depending on the seller and time of year. (I mean for regular cow-quality hay, not some fancyass horse hay)

It makes me wonder if there are some dudes with big barns playing the arbitrage game. Youd have to have a bigass barn to make money on it but thats quite a price range.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Ultimately, the fact that I could probably grow rice back there is going to be I think the biggest detriment both to what will grow nice, and trying to work the field as it's so deep mud spring through to late summer or whenever we stop getting rain for 3 weeks or so.

Where's the water coming from? Would it be a possibility to do some dirt work and reroute it around the property or even dig a small pond to collect it? Since I live in a 13" annual rainfall zone, excess water is not a problem I'm familiar with.

Your land will be healthier with a mixture of plants. Diversity may or may not be our strength in human interactions but it is important for plants. Different plants bring different things to the party and there's nothing natural about a monoculture. That said, it's your 2 acres and you can make it whatever you want. If you want it to look like a golf course then more power to you.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Hay is nuts. In my area it ranges from $4 a bale to $15 a bale depending on the seller and time of year. (I mean for regular cow-quality hay, not some fancyass horse hay)

It makes me wonder if there are some dudes with big barns playing the arbitrage game. Youd have to have a bigass barn to make money on it but thats quite a price range.
If you think the price swings on little square bales are wild, try buying 500 tons at a time like I did in 2021, while every other ranch in the state that isn't irrigated is doing the same thing. I bought hay from North Dakota, South Dakota, Western Montana, Minnesota, Canada, and Nebraska, and of course an ocean of diesel fuel to get it here. The shitty thing is you can't really go look at it all and when people are desperate for hay the low quality stuff is the same price as high quality. The hay I bought from Minnesota (like 5 semi loads) was some of the worst shit I have ever seen and of course with trucking all the way across North Dakota it was also some of the most expensive hay I bought. The cows eventually ate it all but if there was anything else to eat they didn't touch it.

Of course the little square bales are another game because they are selling them pretty much exclusively to horse people and hobby farmers that lack the infrastructure to deal with big bales.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Where's the water coming from? Would it be a possibility to do some dirt work and reroute it around the property or even dig a small pond to collect it? Since I live in a 13" annual rainfall zone, excess water is not a problem I'm familiar with.

Your land will be healthier with a mixture of plants. Diversity may or may not be our strength in human interactions but it is important for plants. Different plants bring different things to the party and there's nothing natural about a monoculture. That said, it's your 2 acres and you can make it whatever you want. If you want it to look like a golf course then more power to you.
I have a pond that is a little leaky on the back end, i'm not sure if it's good that it's holding a fair amount back or bad that it then kinda slow releases a bunch. There's kinda like 2 broad paths of water that reach the back field but they are rather wide, so I think I'd have to do some pretty precise sloping to try and get everything into one narrow channel and go out the back.

First post think I said, I'm on a pretty good hill where it flattens a bit with some properties before continuing downhill. As such we get a lot of runoff. Like 12 hours after a storm there's still water flowin in the road and I stay soggy for a longer time than most would expect say in town.

• 1Like