Homeworld Franchise

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game is hard bro. I didn't realize that your fleet carries over from mission to mission and resources are finite, so first play-thru I got to mission 7 or 8 and was pretty much fucked. Started over and it's going better this time.

One note on "The Cathedral of Kadesh" the order in which you must kill the three spine ships is hard-coded. I was beating the fuck out of one for 10 minutes before I realized it had an auto-regen at 5% health. I pulled my forces off that one, went for the other, and had them both destroyed in 1 minute.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My collector's edition should be here next week. I can't wait to have a mothership on my computer desk.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Game is hard bro. I didn't realize that your fleet carries over from mission to mission and resources are finite, so first play-thru I got to mission 7 or 8 and was pretty much fucked. Started over and it's going better this time.

One note on "The Cathedral of Kadesh" the order in which you must kill the three spine ships is hard-coded. I was beating the fuck out of one for 10 minutes before I realized it had an auto-regen at 5% health. I pulled my forces off that one, went for the other, and had them both destroyed in 1 minute.
salvage and take over every fucking ship lol.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Was worth it just for the high def cut scenes as a homeworld fan. They did a really really top notch job restoring those and the voices.

As for the quality of game play- there are some definite bugs. Sometimes ships undocking will get stuck if they interact during the animation. Fuel management is gone from HW1, Some ships react really weird. Salvagers when they lock on will match speed, so they can catch ships they never could in HW1 originally, such as fucking scouts, as funny as it is to see them match speeds with that turbo flying scout. These are just the bugs I've run into, and they really don't interfere with the game too much.

salvage and take over every fucking ship lol.
I remember I replayed and beat homeworld with tons of challenge restrictions I put on myself. One of my favorites was beating the game without building anything but building 15 salvage ships. I really love how you could catch ships that you couldn't build any other way, such as turanic corvettes and carriers.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Ooooh missed this new trailer.

I guess they've rebranded Homeworld:Shipbreakers to Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, but it's always felt like a prequel leading up to the discovery of the worldstone prior to Homeworld 1.

After a playthrough and half of the Homeworld HD collection I'm ready for this:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wow never seen anything like that, Homeworld style combat ON THE GROUND!? Looks good.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for posting that, I'd not heard anything about it. Loved the Homeworld series so I'm in!

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never got to play the original. I'm guessing I need to get off my ass and play this?

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
This looks like and really makes me wish for a new Dune game. Just replace salvaging ships with harvesting spice.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I never got to play the original. I'm guessing I need to get off my ass and play this?
Absolutely get the new HD remastered version that just came out last year. They did a phenomenal job updating the game and even dragged most of the old voice actors back into the studio.

The end of that trailer confirms that Deserts of Kharak is pretty much a prequel to Homeworld 1.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The end of that trailer confirms that Deserts of Kharak is pretty much a prequel to Homeworld 1.
Shipbreakers was always going to be a "spiritual" prequel to Homeworld. When THQ folded, Gearbox bought the IP rights to the Homeworld franchise, brought Blackbird into the fold, and allowed them to rebrand the game as part of the Homeworld franchise.

I'm really glad they brought Blackbird into the fold, because they are almost entirely comprised of the vets who worked on the original Homeworld and Company of Heroes franchises. Both were two of the biggest revolutionary titles in the RTS space, IMO. So, I have pretty high hopes for this, especially after the amazing feat that Homeworld was in goddamn 1999.

PS. Gearbox wanted to do a Cataclysm remaster also, but I guess the source code was lost over the years. Fuckin' thing sucks, even though Cataclysm isn't considered part of the "canon".

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh derrrrp you actually get the Homeworld Remastered collection free if you preorder Deserts of Kharak on steam.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The devs played through most of the first mission, including some of the opening cinematics.

I was pretty hyped before but now I'm all in. The feel of a modern land combat RTS looks pretty solid too:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That's incredible. Day 1 purchase for me and looks 1,000% better than the last 'modern' RTS I played which was Grey Goo. Depressingly I cannot find the power supply to my Mothership replica that came with the remastered collectors edition. It's gotta be in a drawer around here somewhere.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh I was day 1 from back when I first learned about Hardware:shipbreakers. It was gonna be some kinda browser-based Unity game at the time too. This is the ideal outcome for Homeworld fans---BBI is run by the Art Director, Lead Designer and most of the programmers from the original Homeworld team (minus Alex Garden, but that's prolly a plus).

I still have the original 100-page homeworld manual around here somewhere with all the lore about the different Kiith and their tribal wars too.