Honorable Mention for Best Older Games Thread

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So this thread is devoted to games that you played years ago that you really enjoyed. The caveat is that they are games that maybe didn't really have any critical success. Or perhaps you really enjoyed them but there was a critical flaw that just stopped it from being a classic game. We've all read those "Top 100 Games of all Times" posts from ign or whomever and we've agreed and disagreed with what's been put there and in what order. This is for the games that will never make it onto ANYONE'S top 100 list, but they still have a special place in your heart.

for me, it's Starship Troopers. it was a squad based RTS that came out in the late 90's. it wasn't perfect by ANY means. the enemy AI was wonky at times and the story was about as unoriginal as you could get. what i really enjoyed though was the idea of your squad's experience. not just in leveling up and getting access to new gear, but it would actually affect how they acted in combat.

For example, rookies would break formation when a bug charged them. and formations would grant attack and defense bonuses as long as they were tight. putting a grizzled vet in the front of a pincer formation meant that the rookies behind him felt confident enough to stand their ground. but you put a bunch of rookies in front of the snipers and it's game over as soon as any bugs started to get too close.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Etherlords 2, it was deck building awesome. There was a supreme pale deck that killed all in multiplayer but when people didn't use it some of the battles rivaled the awesome of MTG. Still a fun game today with a meaty single player campaign, think might and magic but little more linear and instead of base building you gather more cards for stronger deck.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Silver was AWESOME. One of my fondest gaming memories beside UO

And Revenant was awesome also. It shows that after all these years gameplay hasn't really changed that much at all. Revenants combat is just as fun as modern rpgs.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Might as well have named this the "let's reminisce about Baldurs Gate and Planescape thread". It's coming. It always does.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How old is old?

Half Life is one of my favorite "older" games that I continually go back to and replay. Now that Black Mesa was finally finished, it's even better.

j00t

Might as well have named this the "let's reminisce about Baldurs Gate and Planescape thread". It's coming. It always does.
Right, that's why I named it honorable mentions. Non classic games. We all love baldurs gate, chrono trigger, ff7, half life, etc. That's why I said the game that no one puts on their top 100 list but you still love them

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Every time I get into a MTG:Tactics, or Cardhunter, I wish they were more like Etherlords, I agree an excellent game.

Clive Barkers Undying, one of the early "scary" games, even though it was action it made great use of sound effects and visuals to try to bring a sense of unease into the game.
Clive Barker's Undying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And even older Bterayal at Krondor, a 3d tactics RPG from 1993, with each chapter of the story you playing different characters with different goals and an ending that both sucked and was great.Betrayal at Krondor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem with older games is its often hard to distinguish between the game and the nostalgia for the feeling and fun the game gave you. Both of those and Etherlords gave me tons of fun and left me feeling like I wanted them to continue.

j00t

Silver was AWESOME. One of my fondest gaming memories beside UO

And Revenant was awesome also. It shows that after all these years gameplay hasn't really changed that much at all. Revenants combat is just as fun as modern rpgs.
Oh man.... Revenant... Totally forgot about that game. Good call

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The final boss in Revenant would CTD the game, never finished it.

j00t

The final boss in Revenant would CTD the game, never finished it.
Heck... I don't even remember getting more than a handful of hours into the game before it would crash. I remember that when you got to bane it would just ctd repeatedly.

Goonsquad Officer
I played THESHIT out of the card game in xenosaga 1. best CCG within a game ever. better game play than damn near any other I've played. i'd play that as a real pay to play video game CCG

Sean_sl

shitlord
Right, that's why I named it honorable mentions. Non classic games. We all love baldurs gate, chrono trigger, ff7, half life, etc. That's why I said the game that no one puts on their top 100 list but you still love them
Yeah, I fully expect people to throw out cult classics that have a following as well and always make 100 lists.

I'm going to go with the Overlord series, since I think that fits the topic well. It really had its own charm, even though it wasn't great on the whole. It was fun even though it'd never stand out in the crowd of RPG history.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I know it's a classic but I don't think it gets enough credit. Age of Empires 2 was so fucken good.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Steel Empire (otherwise known as Cyber Empire)

6518-CyberEmpires.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
199307_43282_front.jpg

Not sure if it is popular or what the general reception of the game is/was. I loved it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Where does Kid Chameleon rank on people's nostalgia board? I feel it is head and shoulders the best platformer on the Genesis and I'd argue one of the best platformers ever.