Honorable Mention for Best Older Games Thread

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I remember I really enjoyed this when I was a kid.

It came from the desert

Think it might have been the first "open world" ish game that I played on the Amiga 500. Doubt it holds up much today, but fond memories.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm

My brother and I played the shit out of this game. Was fun checking out how each army differed and the differences in story depending on your hero. One of like, three games I owned for Sega CD.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I LOVE starlancer. I had just bought a force feedback joystick. But then it turned out to be the last game like that to use joysticks. Was crazy pissed

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Dragonforce. Here's some nerd doing a let's play. Unique game, don't think I ever played another game with the type of gameplay it had.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
One of my favorite old-school RPGs. Destiny of an Emperor for NES. Basically it took the world of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and made it into a traditional RPG
250px-Destiny_of_an_Emperor_Cover.jpg

Destiny_of_an_Emperor_NES_ScreenShot3.gif

Destiny_of_an_emperor_game.png

screen.gif

The thing that made it so unique, and SO hard is that what would be your hit points in a normal RPG is actually the number of troops in your generals army in this game. And the less troops you have, the less damage you do when you attack. So, initiative is HUGE, the person to go first in a battle has a HUGE advantage, because as soon as you remove some of the other players soldiers(HP), they are now doing proportionately less damage. This also makes difficult fights even more difficult, because not only is surviving when low on health hard, you're doing less damage to your opponent too. You can dig yourself into an insurmountable hole if you lose too many troops(HP) too early in a fight.

Also great is the fact that there are probably 20-30 characters in the game, which was an unheard of amount in the 8-bit era. Politics comes into play a lot(just like Destiny of an Emperor), you can steal another generals troops/commanders through bribery and coercion, sometimes even mid-battle. Of course, they can do the same to you too.

Also, a horribly difficult feature of the game is that you have to buy food for your generals/troops. The bigger your armies, the more food you need, and food is consumed with every step you take on the game map. So mindlessly wandering the map costs you money. If you run out of food, troops start to die(basically your HP slowly drains) and the game basically ends if you run out of food and money, you're stuck.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The Summoning by SSI. A fantastic isometric dungeon crawl with a great story and puzzles. Back when games challenged your mind instead of your index finger.

rrr_img_45016.jpg

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I thought Allundra was cool but it did have some critical success so it may not qualify. Wild Arms also!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
+1 internets to anyone who knows this game
It would be harder if the Youtube title bar didn't give it away.

My choice:
rrr_img_45018.gif

I'm not sure if it's totally underrated but I always see people talking about LORD or Tradewars and don't really see SRE or BRE mentioned nearly as much.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It would be harder if the Youtube title bar didn't give it away.

My choice:
rrr_img_45018.gif

I'm not sure if it's totally underrated but I always see people talking about LORD or Tradewars and don't really see SRE or BRE mentioned nearly as much.
I go by the honor system!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This is the best old game that no one (other than me, apparently) has ever heard of. I'd kill for a remake.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
We Mech Commander 2 too popular to be on this list? I loved that game.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Anyone played Hybrid Heaven on the 64? Love that shit, you could level up specific body parts and choose your fighting style. Interesting game on the 64.