Horizon: Zero Dawn

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So anyone able to help me out and make some comparisons to Uncharted and FFXV?

With Uncharted, just kinda burned out. The story wasn't all that exciting to me, and the bullet play was meh, so I got half way through #2 and quit.

FFXV I thought I'd like a lot more because of working with a team. But again, I could care less for the story, and the combat was either balls hard, or balls easy hold 1 button. I never felt a good in between.

Anyone else make some comparisons?

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I've played through The Proving so far.. Crazy good. I'm completely engaged in every facet of the game so far. Damn near late for work today because of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
Caved in and started playing before getting my new TV. It still looks gorgeous.

My only complaint is that the camera is a bit claustrophobic to my tastes, way to close to Aloy.

Oh, and the fact that I utterly completely suck at aiming on a gamepad.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Will someone that has beat the game answer me this one question?

Do you ever get to ride
the huge thunder hawk thing
as a mount?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Another complaint I have is fuck you 'return to play area' warning. Don't put mountains that I can climb and openly explore if you don't want me going there. I didn't spend all those years climbing terrain in West Karana and Rathe Mountain for nothing you buncha mongoloids.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
For Vantages, what I found worked was just go to a higher spot in the circled area, and use the scanner quick. You will easily find it this way.

It got me at first too.

Also, collect ancient stuff. When you get to meridian you will thank me.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This is the most visually stunning game I've ever seen, I'm going to try and resist and finish Witcher 3 before continuing.

Vorph

Also, collect ancient stuff. When you get to meridian you will thank me.
You mean to sell for shards? I don't recall there being any reason to hang onto the stuff beyond that and I'm like 15-20 hours past the first trip to Meridian.

You definitely need an ungodly amount of shards though. Even with save-scumming it is really difficult to get a nice set of purple mods for all your weapons and armor. I'm at the point where I'm sick of swapping mods in my weapons to favor the element I need, so I want to buy a bunch of extra bows, slings, etc. too and that's thousands more shards required.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just beat it. Still not sold on the voice acting but the story ended up being pretty cool. Best ending credits to a game I've seen in awhile.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You mean to sell for shards? I don't recall there being any reason to hang onto the stuff beyond that and I'm like 15-20 hours past the first trip to Meridian.

Don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but might be. Ancient hunting via using the ancient map and getting the purple ancient items. There is a vendor there that sells three special purple treasures that you can only get by turning those 12 ancient items in. :) There is also a vendor for the steel flower collection and the statue relics. Also while you are in meridian make sure to buy the unlimited Fast travel item.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Level 22 so far (maybe 15 hours so far?), haven't even got to meridian and still enjoying the game. It feels like it stops just a tad bit short of being too Ubisoft-ish, in terms of clearing camps, finding collectibles, etc. Most of the time the stuff is organic enough that you don't find it super annoying, although if you end up just chain clearing corrupted zones or something it can get a bit boring. I still really enjoy combat, at the harder difficulties it can be quite challenging taking down the harder enemies especially if there is more than one. Traps though definitely make it a thinking mans combat, you can really spike a big area enough to take down most things, at the cost of a lot of resources.

Visuals are just stunning, screenshots from a gaf thread

OVOFCRr.jpg

wXV23F8.jpg

SKb3awm.jpg

5j3uhUX.jpg

33107116692_83cd382715_o.png

horizonzerodawn_20170ztulq.png

Zelda's a good game and all but bruh, how do you even talk about these two games in the same sentence.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 4 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Zelda's a good game and all but bruh, how do you even talk about these two games in the same sentence.

BotW is a good game but Horizon is better. Horizon just doesn't get the benefit of three decades of nostalgia that a series like Zelda does.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya this game is excellent. Story really enjoyable as well, and sets stage for future titles.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Horizon I liked combat more and graphics are better obviously, Zelda is a better open world.

Horizons doesn't have the physics engine and it's still too Ubisoft-ish (AssCreed/Far Cry), but not bad enough to be turned off of it.

Definitely looking forward to more games in the Horizon setting/world.

Vorph

Don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but might be. Ancient hunting via using the ancient map and getting the purple ancient items. There is a vendor there that sells three special purple treasures that you can only get by turning those 12 ancient items in. :) There is also a vendor for the steel flower collection and the statue relics. Also while you are in meridian make sure to buy the unlimited Fast travel item.
Ah ok, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the collectibles you sell full sets of or just regular ancient trash loot that sell for a lot of shards.

I've sold a few sets and not really gotten anything special from them. One purple mod from each, but you can get those from the purple loot crates too. Maybe I should be save-scumming them, I don't know.

There's also the weird guy who trades for stuff you can buy from the junk vendor. Only traded for one of those so far, but I think I also received a purple mod in that box too.

------------------

Unrelated, but anyone else having trouble with getting the ropecaster to work on anything besides glinthawks? I'm trying to do the medium and heavy tutorial quests using the heavy ropes and I can't actually bring anything down with it. It makes a sound like it's bouncing off their armor, but I've tried shooting them with like 20+ tear arrows to completely remove all armor and it still doesn't work. I know it takes multiple ropes, but I can't even get 1 to stick.

Only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with very hard difficulty (which I highly recommend playing on, it makes all the machines actually feel dangerous).

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
25 hours in, level 24, about only 1/3 of the map uncovered. I'm having a blast with this game.

I'm loving every aspect of the gameplay, the story is far better so far than I expected it to be, even the side quest are good. It's missing the moral option that Witcher has with quest giving very different outcome, but other than that everything it good.

And damn it's gorgeous. So much fun still to be had. :)

• 1Like