Horizon: Zero Dawn

Malkav

French Madman
Just purchased but, fuck, I haven't quite finished Nioh yet. Nor has my new TV arrived (4K HDR QLED). I feel like I should really wait to play but I am a weak, weak man and the weekend is coming...

I'm waiting for my new 4k set to start the game too and learned this morning that the delivery was pushed back to monday from saturday, so I know the feeling.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
try the game on your old TV just so you can tell us if you really notice a difference moving to 4k. With the vast amount of side quests the game reminds me a lot of witcher 3, although the side quests don't feel as rich

japan is cool, they put out a live action trailer for the game. AROY haha

Fedor

<Banned>
Just purchased but, fuck, I haven't quite finished Nioh yet. Nor has my new TV arrived (4K HDR QLED). I feel like I should really wait to play but I am a weak, weak man and the weekend is coming...

There aren't any qled tvs out yet, what you bought was most likely a samsung quantum dot tv.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
There aren't any qled tvs out yet, what you bought was most likely a samsung quantum dot tv.

I pre-ordered a Q7F QLED but I was just wrong about the delivery date. I thought it was March 7 but it is actually April 17. It is the 2017 model.

Guess I will be playing Horizon this weekend after all.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Soygen Soygen

My life right now:
  1. Bloodborne
  2. Other Dark Souls games since I'm addicted now.
  3. Hollow Knight as I am a platform whore.
  4. Horizon
  5. Torment.... Somewhere in there.
  6. Get around to the Witcher DLCs I havent touched.

Fffffffff. I mean there's been years where I didn't see shit I wanted to play at all so this is good I guess. But damn! Why's it all come in at once!

If you like the soulsborne games, pick up Nioh as well if you haven't.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
55 inch is fucking tiny. No thanks.

65 are also in stock.

Unless you want 75. Yeah those are a bit out yet.

Either way, QLED's are shipping in the 55 and 65 models right now as we speak.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Daezuel is one of those projector hipsters. My younger brother is one too. Have fun waiting 5 years for an affordable 4k one!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Daezuel is one of those projector hipsters. My younger brother is one too. Have fun waiting 5 years for an affordable 4k one!
Doubt it will be that long. They have faux ones that look about as good as the real deal already, though a bit on the pricey side for now.

I really have zero issue with my current set up though. Horizon down-sampled looks fucking amazing.

Also, other benefits : Zero chance at burn in, almost no latency, and bigger IS better. I can't go back. I still have a panasonic plasma in my bedroom. Little bitty thing, only 50 inches.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Ok now that the honeymoon period is over, there are a few things about the game that bug me. First off, the game is still really good, definitely worth the purchase price., so not trying to downplay that, but it's never going to reach TLOU status for me and now I'm putting it in league with FO4.

1) Climbing in this game is poorly done compared to games like TLOU and Uncharted series. There are several surfaces, small hills, etc, that seem climbable, but I end up jumping next to them and I can't get on top of it. Seems like without those little obvious yellow ropes or cut-out ledges, some surfaces just can't be climbed. I don't know if others have this issue, but it definitely breaks the immersion for me. Even Skyrim does it better and that game has been out for years.

2) Vantage quests and collection quests irritate me because the markers are only for the area, not the actual location of the object needed in question. I'm not asking for the marker to be right on top of it because I don't want a make it too easy, but they really need to make the area/item we need to get more visibile while scanning. Especially the Vantage quests I find myself running around the area circled for 10-15 minutes trying to look for the right spot. It's not fun, just like it wasn't fun for me in FFXV. I don't wa't to use spoilers/websites/youtube to try and find the spots, so I've been doing a precursory run through and if I don't find it, fuck it, I just keep working on quests.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I can't afford 65 for QLED. I just bought a new apartment a new car a new BBQ and some furniture.

Life after Divorce :)

/firstworldproblems

K

Fedor

<Banned>
Isn't QLED just Quantum Dot rebranded?

It's just an improvement on their old quantum dot tvs and they're just using the qled name to make people think it's similar to oled. It's still a bunch of led backlights behind quantum dots.

They're working on emissive qled tvs (each pixel emits its own light like oled) but they're years away.

That emissive qled tech is what they originally announced years ago but they suffered massive delays which is why they used the qled name on their newest quantum dot tvs instead.

You can expect another letter added to qled when that tech comes out which is probably 2019 or 2020 at the earliest.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This game is fucking good.

Minor nitpick though, fighting humans is kind of gay, and I wish the camera was able to zoom out a bit more behind Aloy.

Other than that though, I'm really enjoying this. Between this and Nioh, it's been a great month of games for me.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ok now that the honeymoon period is over, there are a few things about the game that bug me. First off, the game is still really good, definitely worth the purchase price., so not trying to downplay that, but it's never going to reach TLOU status for me and now I'm putting it in league with FO4.

1) Climbing in this game is poorly done compared to games like TLOU and Uncharted series. There are several surfaces, small hills, etc, that seem climbable, but I end up jumping next to them and I can't get on top of it. Seems like without those little obvious yellow ropes or cut-out ledges, some surfaces just can't be climbed. I don't know if others have this issue, but it definitely breaks the immersion for me. Even Skyrim does it better and that game has been out for years.

2) Vantage quests and collection quests irritate me because the markers are only for the area, not the actual location of the object needed in question. I'm not asking for the marker to be right on top of it because I don't want a make it too easy, but they really need to make the area/item we need to get more visibile while scanning. Especially the Vantage quests I find myself running around the area circled for 10-15 minutes trying to look for the right spot. It's not fun, just like it wasn't fun for me in FFXV. I don't wa't to use spoilers/websites/youtube to try and find the spots, so I've been doing a precursory run through and if I don't find it, fuck it, I just keep working on quests.

I agree with both of these and will add that the scanner use irritates me. I'd like to just pulse it and have the scan linger in vision. Movement slows to a crawl, the camera shifts to a different angle, and turn rate is slow. It is still early in the game but so far compared to Assassin's Creed or Arkham games it feels bad.

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You just learn to not use it as much, or briefly and move on. There are certainly some things that could be iterated upon like the scanner and climbing for sure. But as a package? Man you can do some incredible things in this game.

• 1Like

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm

Agree 100%. Super bizarre that they crush just about everything else out of the park, but completely whiffed on this mechanic. I've died twice now where I'm making a crazed escape across a river, only to find that the 6 foot embankment on the other side is un-climbable. I end up hopping up and down in the water like a spaz desperately trying to find a point that is low enough to jump completely over, only to get destroyed by enemy projectile. It's maddening that Aloy, who has shown time and time again to be this legendary climbing prodigy, can't pull herself up over a fucking ledge that is barely taller than her.

• 1Solidarity