Horizon: Zero Dawn

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I've already been called a heretic to my face because of this, but I am actively enjoying this more than Zelda. Granted I admit that I haven't gotten very far in Zelda since after only a couple hours I found myself jonesin to shoot fire arrows into robodinos and switched back to Horizon.

What is really quite silly is that we've gone for ages with mostly mediocre titles and then two great games released in the same week

• 3Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Hearing this is better than Zelda makes me very happy, because I'm absolutely loving Zelda. I can't wait to pick this up in the future.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am about 20 hours in and almost level 27 or so. All I have to say is I looked to see how many story missions I have left because I do not want it to end... I have about 7 left. And every time some of the mystery is unraveled, another mystery takes it's place and I cannot wait to see what happens next. Yesterday I spent an hour or two chasing down some Wild Flowers and Ancient relics. I upgraded to a hunter Shadow Bow, the best Sling money can buy (The damage output is freaking nuts). I need to upgrade to a shadow sharpshooter bow still (Using the blue one) and upgrade the tripcaster to a Shadow as well, but I am finding I very rarely use the tripcaster for now.

I have started fighting some VERY big machines, and that shadow hunter bow with Hard point arrows is absolutely awesome. I also got my first power cell for that mystery armor you uncover as a level 25 quest very early on in the game. So I am fired up to get that.

Before I continue on in the main story I am going to finish up all the errands and side quests I have.

I booted up Zelda and am fired up to play that too, but quit just after marking the three ruins with the old man, and came back to this. It never gets old this game. And I am STILL reading every text document I find. Which I never do, just because I want to continue to find out what happened.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What is really quite silly is that we've gone for ages with mostly mediocre titles and then two great games released in the same week

Yeah, for me it has been a ridiculous embarrassment of riches having Yakuza, Nioh, Horizon, Zelda, and Nier all dropping back to back, and then a couple more coming out. Seems like it has been a decade since there were too many great things to play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The games industry has been edging for a couple years and now it's finally blowing it's massively built up load all over us. It's a bukkake of great gaming right now.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Even though I've yet to finish (I'm at the very end I think), I went to work this morning feeling about this game/series as I felt about Mass Effect when it first came out. That's a really good thing, as that was a great experience when that game first came out. It's been a while since I've been so high on a new ip/world etc - TLOU is one that sticks out, Dark Souls/Demon Souls, Nioh to an extent (though not as strong as this). Just a great effort from GG, and while there are quite a few things I don't love (WANT MORE LOOT DAMNIT - MORE DINOS DAMNIT - BETTER REWARDS FROM THE SHITTY COLLECTION QUESTS), the overall feeling I have towards this game is supremely positive, and I'm interested to see how they carry on the story in future games (so many possibilities).

I popped in Zelda Saturday night while in bed to play on the switch - game seems like it could be great, but when I woke yesterday I had the urge to play Horizon and beasted 10 hours into this in one afternoon/evening.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i tried save scumming with purple vendor treasure chests and it doesn't work, it seems to "lock" each chest to an item until you at least completely exit the game. Save, buy chest, unpack it, be disappoint, reload, buy chest, same item, try reload/buy 5x time all the same item.

I think though when I quit for a day and came back it gave me a different item, so dunno if its timer or game cold restart.

its a nice touch they thought about that

My biggest issue is I tend to forget to "scan" a monster for its weaknesses before I fight, and then trying to do it while you are fighting is just a clusterfuck. I also only really understand fire/water, theres the sharpshooter bow weaknesses which is like fucking... down arrow and broken shield and my brain is too dumb to understand that, so I just go "fuck it, i'll just keep trying to freeze this bitch"

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I acquired a Shadow Bow and loaded it up with three (1 purple two blue) + Fire damage mods. Then I proceeded to cackle with glee as I set dinos ablazing until I promptly burned through my whole Blaze stockpile and had to start rationing my pyromania. I was wondering why there was a large carry capacity for weapons and it has become clear that you are absolutely expected to build up an armory of specially modded tools for a variety of occasions. I have yet to get a decent 'ice' weapon and that has made certain things inordinately difficult.

• 1Solidarity

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Loving this game, but why can I not buy wire in bulk??

Also, on what I think is 2nd last mission...every time I die the game crashes.....

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
The 'down arrow' is just piercing damage. The torn shield is 'Tear' effect which is ability to tear components off of the machines (like weapons and radar systems etc.,).

**Minor in game spoiler to be aware of**

Inside the Hunting Lodge in Meridian. There are like 3 books which you can scan with your focus and then read from your data collectibles. You may want to finish all of the lodge quests before reading those. It will kinda spoil some in game stuff as I think one of them documents things that your character does during the quest line. Just an fyi.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I am about 20 hours in and almost level 27 or so. All I have to say is I looked to see how many story missions I have left because I do not want it to end... I have about 7 left. And every time some of the mystery is unraveled, another mystery takes it's place and I cannot wait to see what happens next. Yesterday I spent an hour or two chasing down some Wild Flowers and Ancient relics. I upgraded to a hunter Shadow Bow, the best Sling money can buy (The damage output is freaking nuts). I need to upgrade to a shadow sharpshooter bow still (Using the blue one) and upgrade the tripcaster to a Shadow as well, but I am finding I very rarely use the tripcaster for now.

I have started fighting some VERY big machines, and that shadow hunter bow with Hard point arrows is absolutely awesome. I also got my first power cell for that mystery armor you uncover as a level 25 quest very early on in the game. So I am fired up to get that.

Before I continue on in the main story I am going to finish up all the errands and side quests I have.

I booted up Zelda and am fired up to play that too, but quit just after marking the three ruins with the old man, and came back to this. It never gets old this game. And I am STILL reading every text document I find. Which I never do, just because I want to continue to find out what happened.
Tripcaster is amazeballs imo. Can throw the line directly under mechadinos to have it instantly trigger. I found later into the game that most of the stuff clogging my inventory wasn't ever being used and ended up selling everything but hearts, skins and the unlimited travel bag and mats for ammo. Wish there were higher stack caps for some of the items.

Its really hard for me now days to sit down and finish games, let alone one that can take 30+ hrs to complete. I have witcher 3, TLOU, ROTR and a multitude of other great games that I have yet to beat. That really attests to how good Horizon was. Ended up clocking in 39 hrs and intend to put in many more while I clean up the map of bandits, flowers, vessels and vision points. Can't wait for any DLC/Hoizon 2 (after credits cinematic pretty much guarantees something).

Ladro

Anomaly
The games industry has been edging for a couple years and now it's finally blowing it's massively built up load all over us. It's a bukkake of great gaming right now.

Maybe this deserves it's own thread but do you guys think that we feel this way because it's been ages since there's been several great games released? I honestly don't remember that last time I felt game anxiety like this either so it's just a question...

The Great Game Bukkake of 2017 came out of nowhere it seems and I'm not sure if it's because we're desperate or if they are legitimately amazing games. Zelda definitely is... HZD seems like it if you're going to draw UC4/Witcher 3 comparisons. Nioh and Nier are of a certain niche IMO and I'm not interested in them but they do seem to be great for that Dark Souls gamer.

The edging analogy is apropos however I'm not sure it's intentional is all.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Turned level 30 yesterday, just got past the first Carja waypoint on my way to Meridian which I still haven't been to 25 or so hours in. Maxed all but two inventory upgrades (not sure if others unlock later). Done all side quests, max hunter rewards and picked up everything as I go (though I can't find the damned metal flower that appears to be in or around the very first ruin you fall into...). Still missing several weapons to use some of the ammo I have bought.

I really enjoy the game, but not been an appropriate level for quests for a while. I was level 15? when I did the proving.

Only real negative so far is the inventory system. Not sure why there is such a large discrepancy between stacks of items from 250 down to 5 considering how quickly you stack up 5 of some items. Overall though, amazing game with amazing visuals. Robot combat is fun which is why my level is so high.

Question though, seen some posts over mine mention a high shard cost for some items. What is the cost for the most expensive ones in Meridian? I have around 12 or 13k now, which just keeps increasing since I have nothing to spend them on after doing all the 500+ cost upgrades. Probably have another 10+k in items since I only sell all the items marked for shards only, while keeping at least a few of each other item in case later vendors require them along with metal shards for weapons.

spronk

FPS noob
Patch today, crash fixes I guess. I need to work on my weapons this week, I'm still using all blue weapons.

I think the timing feels overwhelming because there was a bit of a drought holiday 2016, and some of the games ended up not being that great. Mafia 3 was decent but not polished and super grindy. COD Infinite Warfare was bad. Battlefield 1 was good but also not good in some ways. FF15 was divisive. DR4, Last Guardian, GOW4 and PSVR were disappointing. Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 were really the only decent holiday games, which was a big surprise.

By contrast Nioh, Nier, RE7, Yakuza 0, and HZD have all been fantastic and better than most people expected.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
My main complaint with the game is too much combat with humans. It's really lame compared to dino fighting.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Mine would be everything to do with the hunting lodge. I cannot stand timed shit like that, especially when it gates a bunch of skill points and at least one equipment upgrade.

It's a fairly minor complaint though, I tried the first hunting grounds at the very beginning of the game and failed at all three tests, haven't gone near another one since. I guess I should go back with all purple weapons and mostly purple mods and see what they are like now, but I suspect that retarded log trial is still just as retarded with 30+ hours of levels and gear upgrades. Hell, I don't even think knocking the difficulty all the way down from very hard to easy would help with that one.

Last edited:

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Mine would be everything to do with the hunting lodge. I cannot stand timed shit like that, especially when it gates a bunch of skill points and at least one equipment upgrade.

It's a fairly minor complaint though, I tried the first hunting grounds at the very beginning of the game and failed at all three tests, haven't gone near another one since. I guess I should go back with all purple weapons and mostly purple mods and see what they are like now, but I suspect that retarded log trial is still just as retarded with 30+ hours of levels and gear upgrades. Hell, I don't even think knocking the difficulty all the way down from very hard to easy would help with that one.

For the log trial, you can do that easily without any upgrades I think. You just jump in, use the bomb launcher to lob a ball in front of them. They will run, run right towards the path they take and use the ropecaster on the logs since the force of it will cause the logs to fall. At your upgrade level, the bow might even do it and be better since you don't have to be so close to the logs. They die even running into the logs, don't have to fall on them. When you hit the herd, odds are you will kill far more than the required amount. Just ignore all Watcher robots.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I was a bit worried about this game because Guerrilla Games never seemed to figure out the Killzone series. They had some cool ideas that were implemented poorly and the game was never really that fun. And the storyline and voice acting were cheesy as fuck. Is there any of that residue on this game?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
At some point today I'll actually be able to play this. Never did get around to really digging into Nioh either. Probably get on that after this. Or by then I'll be playing Nier. Fuck.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I've only played the PS4 Killzone and didn't care for it.

This game is amazing - graphics and animations and attention to detail is phenomenal. Design of the gameplay and story are top notch so far. Trying to decide what I'm going to do next is tough.

• 1Like