House of Cards

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Meh suspension of disbelief got broke when the gay American commits suicide and Claire doesn't even wake up to a dude strangling to death.
Haha yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Dude hangs himself with her scarf like 5 feet away and she's lying there sawing logs.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Wasn't there some line about how she hadn't slept in some extended period of time? I've slept through a fucking fire alarm before, so that was hardly the most ridiculous part of the season for me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What about Mendez? He's the FO SHO Republican candidate, locked in. Next episode, he's gone, brief statement to the camera, new guy who no one knows in his office.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Someone posted that Mendoza/Acevada was written out due to being contracted for something else....Sad, was building up and just disappeared..Would have been a much realistic arc than the Russian...

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I find it so disturbing how so many people hate the women in these types of shows (Breaking Bad, House of Cards, The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, etc). Is rooting for the success of the anti-hero bad guy really what drives the interest in these shows?

Claire may have had some difficulty dealing with the imbalance of power in their relationship, but Frank became even more of a ruthless despot this season, disregarding many who were on his side but weren't his lapdogs. I personally thought their relationship (which I always found to be one of the most interesting on recent shows) and the strains that developed were the most compelling part of the season.

I appreciated the theme of this season, showing how the demands of this world push people to their limits. Some decide to back away, like Remy, and some almost find another way but get pulled back in, like Doug.

I wonder if Frank's likely eventual downfall will ever have anything to do with his actions from season 1/2, since it seems like all the loose ends that could become evidence are gone now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I find it so disturbing how so many people hate the women in these types of shows (Breaking Bad, House of Cards, The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, etc). Is rooting for the success of the anti-hero bad guy really what drives the interest in these shows?
Dear lord, you're not one of those SJW, fags are you?

take that faggie shit to the gamergate thread.

If a character is hated on, it's cuz the character:
1.is written badly
2.sucks

most of us want a good show, believe it or not, we'd think that if we were to spend 10hours on a show, we'd like some of the materials, and that would mean some of the characters.

i mean good lord of the pathetic list of shows you listed, there aren't many redeeming woman characters.
for BB you only really had skylar - a waitress who banged a rocket scientist into retirement, they aren't on level playing fields when you compare them, whose left?
marie? the baren selfish klepto sister?

HoC turned to shit this season with Claire, s1 and maybe s2, you could see she was a good pillar of support and strength for frank, this season they just amped up her menopause to 11 to hide shitty writing.
any other women in HoC that remotely mattered? nope

You really fucked up w/ saying the shield, what the fuck were you watching, if you didn't that Claudette wasn't fucking awesome. Her scenes were so power that they had to try to match that by having dutch go ape shit and strangle a dog. Claudette was really the only person, not just woman that could come close to busting up scenes with vick.

Unless you want to just bring up danni and corrine and you realize that their sole purpose is vicks fuck buddy and the mother of his children. The show is centered around the strike team, if you were watching the series, Claudette was just powerful enough to be on equal footing with vick.

SoA - bad writing, it's a shit show with a shit, with kurt sutter who highlighted his shit wife so much he was grasping at thin straws to try to get some semblance of a story. the woman character that was interesting and showed promise, Tara, was killed b/c, well we had to pay attention to Peg Bundy, you really can't defend or say thing good about SoA, unless you're a retard or you like bikes.

A lot of shows are written poor, or you're not supposed to like them. Seriously wtf liked skylar? (she gets props for acting great in s5, he 1000yard stares were awesome) but you can say that, BB is also anti handicapped since no one cared for Walt Jr, everyone recognized he was so useless in the show that Breakfast Walt, really is what he is, decoration.

No you should not be disturb by the apparent hate you see for women in shows, you just lack sensing good taste.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
lol everyone hates on Remy, Meachum, the Author, etc... but why oh why do people hate these womenz? muhsoginee!

spronk

FPS noob
Claire was absolutely fantastic in season 1 because she was independently ruthless and cunning, doing some insanely bad shit on her own that was brutally horrifying. She sorta vanished in season 2 except to jog and fuck people. In season 3 the writers seem to be suggesting her menopause is changing her behaviour and her stated goal (running for President someday) completely vanished and is at odds with her actions. Maybe season 4 will redeem her and turn her into a character with goals and means of executing those goals, but she didn't have any in 2 or 3.

A well written character, male or female, is able to act without being completely dependent on other characters for all their actions and justifications. They also have their own goals which do not just involve "I gotta fuck up this other characters plans".

Game of Thrones, Good Wife, Archer, Parks and Rec, Once Upon a Time, Nikita, Brooklyn 99, and an infinite number of other shows have well written female characters who are strong, independent, and whether you love them or hate them you understand why they are doing what they are doing.

By the way the other two women this season were much better written so its kind of dumb to say "ermg why does everyone hate the womens", Dunbar was a great written character and we got to see her go from 100% straight laced to using the same dirty tricks that everyone does. The military whip was a bit weirder in mixed actions but still interesting. Both were pretty boring though and just reacting to Frank, we didn't really have a character this season who was doing stuff outside of Frank's "reactosphere" except Dougie.

DickTrickle

I guess I should have been more specific. They hate the wives of the sociopathic lead characters, not all the women characters in general.

But thanks for confirming my guess that people do watch these shows to celebrate the worst in people. Skylar, Corinne, Claire, even Tara to a lesser degree, were I think hated by the majority of those watching the show at some point, and largely because they (eventually) didn't let the leads do whatever they wanted however they wanted or at least expressed reservations. Has there ever been a spouse of a sociopathic lead that wasn't hated?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Skylar was awesome in s5. In the first 4 seasons she was written to be unlikeable, it isn't shocking that people didn't like her.

As great as BB was, they did a really poor job with her.

DickTrickle

For reacting in ways that a normal person would react, that's why she was disliked. Is this how people wanted it to play out: "Oh, you're a murderous drug dealer who has repeatedly endangered the lives of our family while simultaneously largely ignoring your role as a father? I'm totally okay with that and will have no problem adapting or not holding any grudges!"

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I find it so disturbing how so many people hate the women in these types of shows (Breaking Bad, House of Cards, The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, etc). Is rooting for the success of the anti-hero bad guy really what drives the interest in these shows? .
It's a common theme across these boards. The women characters get a lot of flak. People don't realise that an unhappy TV marriage is an easy sideplot and that if every TV marriage were perfect then things would be a) unrealistic and b) less interesting.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
She sorta vanished in season 2 except to jog and fuck people. .
You must have a bad memory. She went on TV and said she got raped by an Army General. Her affair with Adam Galloway got leaked. There was talk she had an abortion. She was behind a military sexual assault bill and befriended the First Lady in order to start cracks in her marriage.

What show were you watching bro?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Game of Thrones, an infinite number of other shows have well written female characters who are strong, independent, and whether you love them or hate them you understand why they are doing what they are doing.
Go read the GOT thread, Cat Stark gets a lot of hate: "omg she started the war by kidnapping Tyrion, dumb bitch etc - why couldn't see just let Ned handle it?" - because then the whole saga would probably have been concluded in one book? lol

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I guess I should have been more specific. They hate the wives of the sociopathic lead characters, not all the women characters in general.

But thanks for confirming my guess that people do watch these shows to celebrate the worst in people. Skylar, Corinne, Claire, even Tara to a lesser degree, were I think hated by the majority of those watching the show at some point, and largely because they (eventually) didn't let the leads do whatever they wanted however they wanted or at least expressed reservations. Has there ever been a spouse of a sociopathic lead that wasn't hated?
Here is where you fuck up again, you just lump all the married women into the same "my bitch ass wife" category.

Skylar and Corinne are practically the same, weak dumb idiot wives that eventually just go along w/ their husband and are used as the foils, rather than a partner in a marriage. A plot point needs to happen, says the BB/Shield writer? how do we do it? fuck it, lets use the dumb ass wife again to move the story along, except Corinne is never good, at least Skylar got to shine in S5.

Again we've said Claire, shined in s1, faded in s2, is a retard in s3, it's like she at the same time a pillar for frank and the impetus for frank to do shit. oh SHE has the scandal, SHE had the abortion, oh SHE was raped, oh SHE fucked around and got caught, oh SHE decides to be first lady and somehow a fucking UN Ambassador w/ zero qualifications, other than my husband has the biggest dick in the country. In s1 she was strong, in s2 she was becoming a liability, in s3 frank had to clean up all her shit.

Tara? were you fucking watching the same horrible SoA everyone else was watching? if anything Tara was the only character that anyone cared about. Nope, if kurt sutter wasn't ball and chained to peg buddy and written the Tara we deserved, she'd be running shit, and we'd like it.

Your views on these women are wrong and simplistic.

DickTrickle

Once again, you want all these women to be as bad as their husbands. I think there's a fundamental difference in why we're watching these shows and what we're getting out of them, so there's probably not a lot to more to discuss.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not saying she has to be as bad as Frank...but what she did when in Russia was on par with causing an international incident and she's supposed to be a UN Ambassador. It was retarded, much like she is and was all season long.

khalid

Unelected Mod
People don't realise that an unhappy TV marriage is an easy sideplot and that if every TV marriage were perfect then things would be a) unrealistic and b) less interesting.
You are being dumb as always. No one is asking for "perfect" tv marriages, we want well-written wives with dynamic characters. Not silly idiots that are on the show doing nothing but whining.

You say "people don't realize that an unhappy tv marriage is an easy sideplot". EVERYONE REALIZES THIS, it is fucking lazy. They are taking the easy route rather than try and make the wife an interesting character. When you make a lazy stereotypical character and put it against someone like Walter White, yeah, people are going to dislike it.