How dirty are college sports and the NCAA?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Very interesting article here

When it comes to college athletics, it sure seems cheating pays - Yahoo Sports

Just in the past year:

-Oregon played for a national title in football while on probation

-Ohio St won a national title less than a month after their 4-year probation ended

-U-Conn won a national title in basketball while on probation

-Jim Tressell makes the college football hall of fame while on a probation where he cannot coach for any NCAA school

- Oliver Luck left his job as athletic director at West Virginia to join the NCAA as its executive vice president of regulatory affairs. Essentially, he?s the No. 2 man in the NCAA. Two months later, the athletic department Luck left was put on two years? probation by the NCAA for violations committed in 14 sports

- Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari was named a finalist for the Hall of Fame. Two of his five Final Four appearances have been vacated due to NCAA violations within the programs he led.

and many others that the article points out.

So it looks like the underlying theme is, cheat at all costs to win, because you have much more to gain from the winning, than you stand to lose from being punished.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If the NCAA wants to ever be taken seriously, they're going to have to start imposing post-season bans for ANY probation. 4 years probation? 4 years with no postseason.

Otherwise, it's never going to stop. Why would you?

Unfortunately they will never do that, because the blue-blood teams bring in way too much money for the NCAA. How much money would be lost if there was an NCAA tournament that was missing Kentucky, Uconn, Syracuse, North Carolina, and kansas because they were all currently on probation(and ALL of those schools, or their coaches, have been on very recent probations).

But god forbid if you are some small directional school, they will bring down the wrath of god on you, because it doesn't hurt the NCAAs pocket book at all.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I've never been a really big fan of college sports, specifically fully paid tuitions and scholarships for athletes. It is essentially paying someone to play sports, and that's what pro leagues are for. I'm all in favor of football minor leagues, and same with basketball, and let students who want an education go to college.

I went to HS with a guy who could barely write his name, and he got a full-ride to MU as a running back. Just didn't make sense to me.

Sorry, Joe, this might belong in a different thread.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Gravy touched on why I do not follow college sports anymore. There is no level playing field. It's not amateur athletics. I don't enjoy watching some university with a 15 million dollar football budget with boosters paying under the table trouncing a school with a 2 million dollar budget with boosters paying (less) with a score of 65-7. The rules are all fucked up and the student athlete died decades ago. Football trumps everything 90% of the time because it's that particular schools best revenue sport. Many states have their highest paying public official it's football/basketball coach.

As for probation? Joe nailed it. They can't ban schools for cheating...because those schools make the NCAA money. They slap them on the wrist and that's it. It's all about the money. The thing people always say to me when defending the NCAA and college sports is the fact that it is amateur and kids "play for the love of the game".

First, that's bullshit. Second, that's great for the kids but that doesn't excuse the revenue generator machine that football and basketball are and how it's completely tainted college athletics entirely. At least the pros are just that - professionals. Making money is a core output for teams and players. The NCAA wants both to make money and act like that's not what they are all about at the same time and I say fuck you to that.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, those sanction against USC really deterred others..... Oh wait, the NCAA just decided to impose lesser penalties in going forward for more egregious violations in which the school actually participated this time in said violations.. My bad!

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
I went to HS with a guy who could barely write his name, and he got a full-ride to MU as a running back. Just didn't make sense to me.
He probably thought it was weird you spent all that time writing your name when you could have been out running the ball and getting a free ride in college.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
College sports serves well as a minor league for basketball and football. Who gives a shit if it is corrupt or not?

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Professional sports (ncaa is pro don't think otherwise) is so corrupt and full of shady shit.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
He probably thought it was weird you spent all that time writing your name when you could have been out running the ball and getting a free ride in college.
I actually was offered a 1/2 paid scholarship to Columbia University for track and field. Unfortunately, I thought at the time that the added cost was a bad idea, and I really had no idea of the value of a degree from an Ivy League school.

The state school I ended up going to wouldn't even give me a sniff for financial aid for track and field, but I had a pretty decent grade-based scholarship to go there.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
College sports serves well as a minor league for basketball and football. Who gives a shit if it is corrupt or not?
The schools and fans of those schools getting fucked by all the money and corruption in other programs? As long as there is so much money to be made this shit will continue. Want it to stop, penalties need to be money removed from the program and taken by the league. Get caught seriously cheating bam there goes 50% of your schools football budget for the next 2 years. Something really egregious bam 100% for 2 years or the school sits out 4 years.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
My school cheats and doesn't win shit, therefore the NCAA should punish everyone who cheats better.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
To change the corruption you would need a walk out by the athletes once you got to the Final 4 or the football playoffs or maybe even a boycott at the start of the season but no way in hell that something like that would ever happen until college athletes form a union which should have happened a long fucking time ago.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
My school cheats and doesn't win shit, therefore the NCAA should punish everyone who cheats better.
That's like Armstrong Syndrome. Yeah the guy cheated, so did everyone else. If that's the case they should just endorse it across the board.

Muurloen

The schools and fans of those schools getting fucked by all the money and corruption in other programs? As long as there is so much money to be made this shit will continue. Want it to stop, penalties need to be money removed from the program and taken by the league. Get caught seriously cheating bam there goes 50% of your schools football budget for the next 2 years. Something really egregious bam 100% for 2 years or the school sits out 4 years.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I don't get the draw of college sports. Some folks have said "its the purest form of the sport as they players are not motivated by money" which is utter bullshit.