How dirty are college sports and the NCAA?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
patriots just cheated their way to another championship. This shit goes on at every level. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, those sanction against USC really deterred others..... Oh wait, the NCAA just decided to impose lesser penalties in going forward for more egregious violations in which the school actually participated this time in said violations.. My bad!
Wasnt the head of the sanctions commitee at the time a ND alumni? It was really dumb how hard they came down on USC compared to others. Plus the only evidence they had against USC was the word of a convicted fellon saying an assitant coach knew abour Reggie Bush's parents living in a house for free 200 miles away from campus.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
To change the corruption you would need a walk out by the athletes once you got to the Final 4 or the football playoffs or maybe even a boycott at the start of the season but no way in hell that something like that would ever happen until college athletes form a union which should have happened a long fucking time ago.
I can only imagine the size of the collective brick that would be shat across the country if college athletes tried to unionize.

Szlia

I read through this thread and I did not understand it. What is the nature of the cheating that is happening?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I read through this thread and I did not understand it. What is the nature of the cheating that is happening?
It varies really. Anywhere from academic fraud to receiving improper benefits. The NCAA is pretty much a laughing stock so nearly everything gets a slap on the wrist or outright ignored. Penn State for instance covered up evidence that a coach was fucking little boys for years. Their probation and such has already been removed early I believe.

It's typically nothing that actually affects what happens on the field. It's just something for people to complain about more or less. Some people still hold onto the notion that they're student athletes. The student part went by the wayside long ago.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The academic thing is hilarious to me. At what point to we just say we don't care that the athletes are "students" anymore? Does it really make a difference? I'm so much more entertained knowing that the All American wide receiver is sitting in class right now as opposed to doing whatever the hell a 20 year old class of athlete like that would be (getting high and fucking college bitches?).

Oh wait, they're doing that anyway.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If Mizz U can get top 5 ranked recruits, you know how dirty College Sports are.
Only if they are from Missouri :/ Kinda like South Carolina landing Lattimore and Clowney, wouldnt have happened if they weren't from SC. We generally pull 3 star kids from other states, we don't cheat well enough to pull a 5 star kid out of Texas or Florida (yet), but hopefully our $EC bretheren can teach us the ways.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Unfortunately they will never do that, because the blue-blood teams bring in way too much money for the NCAA. How much money would be lost if there was an NCAA tournament that was missing Kentucky, Uconn, Syracuse, North Carolina, and kansas because they were all currently on probation(and ALL of those schools, or their coaches, have been on very recent probations).
I just want to point out that Carolina's probation was related to football, not basketball. There have been recent violations by a couple of individual players who received improper benefits, but those did not result in probation.

College athletics has turned into such a business, and is run as such, that it's time for the NCAA to quit hiding behind the charade of amateurism. A lot of the violations are the result of them clinging to that crutch. There also needs to be a come to Jesus moment about athletes who cannot survive academically in the college environment, pursuing degrees or coursework they will not use simply to remain eligible. There needs to be a type of degree for athletes similar to a performing arts degree that allows them to remain eligible honing their craft as a dancer or violinist would.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think someone posted the link somewhere on this site, but there's a congressman (I think in Florida?) that wants state schools to offer degrees in Football and Basketball, for athletes. Basically, the degree would consist of educational classes such as public speaking, personal finance/investing, fitness/nutrition, and things like that which would be useful to athletes that spend a lot of time in the public eye. I don't think it's a terrible idea. Like you mentioned, if a kid can major in music or drama, why not athletics? Yeah, most kids aren't ever going to make a serious living doing that after school, but the degree still exists, so why not athletics?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think someone posted the link somewhere on this site, but there's a congressman (I think in Florida?) that wants state schools to offer degrees in Football and Basketball, for athletes. Basically, the degree would consist of educational classes such as public speaking, personal finance/investing, fitness/nutrition, and things like that which would be useful to athletes that spend a lot of time in the public eye. I don't think it's a terrible idea. Like you mentioned, if a kid can major in music or drama, why not athletics? Yeah, most kids aren't ever going to make a serious living doing that after school, but the degree still exists, so why not athletics?
That actually covers my only concern with paying athletes. We mostly think of the star players in these conversations, but there are a ton of scholarship athletes (even in the big programs) who never go pro. Whether or not those degrees would be worth a crap afterwards is a guessing game though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That actually covers my only concern with paying athletes. We mostly think of the star players in these conversations, but there are a ton of scholarship athletes (even in the big programs) who never go pro. Whether or not those degrees would be worth a crap afterwards is a guessing game though.
They probably can't be much more useless than the legions of hotel & restaurant management/human development/general studies majors that athletes enroll in now.

Royal

If those types of athletes can make it doing regular coursework towards a traditional type of degree, that avenue is there for them. The rules limiting practice time and athletic activities should remain in place or even be reinforced, to help keep it open and doable for them. Hopefully the sports focused programs could be made substantial enough that they could lead to a sports related career other than playing professionally.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Or, just take them off campus and put them in minor leagues.

God forbid college be about education. And as it stands, sports has dick to do with education. But won't happen, too much money.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
It trickles down. I played football at KSU for a bit till I blew out my knee. Had the privilege of living across from Mike Beasley in the dorms and taking summer classes with him. Dude rolled up in a brand new car, got his own room (which he smoked in 24/7..hallway smelled fucking awful), had his own team of "tutors", and somehow got decent grades while being illiterate. I'm not joking either. I had to do a group project with him and it was fucking miserable having to read to him what the instructions were (not like he was going to help, but it was a different time, I tried to be a nice person). But hey, he could play basketball really well..

I'd say high school really is the "purest" form of sports now, but even that is starting to get perverted.

Definitely would be in favor of a legitimate minor league, or letting kids try to go there after high school instead of pretending they are going to college for anything other then to keep in shape and practice for when they can enter their respective professional leagues. Think it was Mark Cuban who was talking about that most recently.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Found this article interesting

Jameis Winston and me: The pain of covering the scandal | Tampa Bay Times

Keep it classy, Florida State Fans (although I'm sure every fanbase has fans that would act similarly, unfortunately)

"Fans bombarded my phone with more than 100 calls over a couple of weeks. I answered almost every one, never knowing if it was a legitimate tip or a prank some troll would illegally record to laugh at online.

You don't understand how persistent car dealers are until someone tells them to contact you about a new Corvette."

College Fans and University Students are dead. Why would you tailor your football games to College Football Fans and Students. Support my patreon for reporting on this abuse. College Football+

Royal

Or, just take them off campus and put them in minor leagues.

God forbid college be about education. And as it stands, sports has dick to do with education. But won't happen, too much money.
It's not just about money. Well, it is but it doesn't begin and end with the NCAA's pile o' cash. They can't force the NFL to create a minor league system or make the NBA run one like it gives a shit about it.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I doubt the NCAA would even want to see minor leagues for foozeball and basketball, let alone force it.

It does make me wonderwhocould force it, though.