How do you prefer your steak?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I refuse to believe that pigs feet are delicious.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
my grandparents loved them some pig's feet. but they were from the "old country" i used to see those things in the fridge at their house. no way i will ever eat one

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
rrr_img_33054.jpg

Yummmmmmmmmmm!

Neki

Molten Core Raider

Medium Rare for me. Mother thinks it's disgusting since it is still pink and bloody as she always believed in food well cooked /sigh

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Medium rare for a filet, medium (bright pink warm center) for a strip or sirloin. I hate fat/gristle with a passion.

I'd love to hear the experts thoughts on the high temp broiled steaks - best I've had was a 16 oz. strip at the Blues City Cafe in Memphis.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
When I order at a restaurant, I order Medium Rare.

When I grill it, I shoot in the Rare to Medium Rare range.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The comment about "women's work" is interesting and made me think. I know lots of women who are AMAZING cooks in almost all food areas, and yet none of them can cook a steak worth a damn.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yup, my girlfriend is a phenomenal cook in my experience, but the one time she tried to cook steaks she ruined them.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Then you just haven't had a truly great pork chop, because they certainly can be just as tasty. In fact, I'd say it's easier to cook a "great' porkchop than a "great" steak, though the top end is certainly higher with beef.

Honestly, if I had to choose at gunpoint to give up beef or pork for the rest of my life I'd choose beef in a heartbeat. There's really not even a question. I would gladly sacrifice steak for the rest of my life if it meant I could keep all the amazing things you can do with a pig.
I eat a lot of pork chops, but mostly because its cheaper and leaner/healthier than beef. Otherwise, I'd eat beef every day of my life. I don't know what constitutes a great pork chop, but I've had chops and tenderloin at plenty of decent restaurants and it still doesn't compare to steak. For one thing, its cooked through, so no matter how perfectly you avoid drying it out and keeping some juice in it a pork chop will never fully compare to a nice rare/medium rare steak to me.

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
I eat a lot of pork chops, but mostly because its cheaper and leaner/healthier than beef. Otherwise, I'd eat beef every day of my life. I don't know what constitutes a great pork chop, but I've had chops and tenderloin at plenty of decent restaurants and it still doesn't compare to steak. For one thing, its cooked through, so no matter how perfectly you avoid drying it out and keeping some juice in it a pork chop will never fully compare to a nice rare/medium rare steak to me.
With today's pork, you don't have to cook the hell out of it anymore. I normally get thick cut chops and leave just a hint of pink in the middle. Properly rested, they are fucking delicious.

As far as cooking in a pan, once I got a cast iron skillet I never used another pan to cook ANY meat. If it's not grilled (that means charcoal, propane is for women and boy lovers) then I use the cast iron skillet.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll concede to the cast iron skillet and searing/blackening. Otherwise I prefer grilling and I personally choose not to have it seared mostly anyway, although it is damn good that way.

The thing is if I'm doing it myself then I want some blackening seasoning on there and to sear that shit up proper in a white hot cast iron skillet you create far too much smoke for a home kitchen.