How do you prefer your steak?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
You're eating something other than steak or your girl has the Holy Grail of vaginas.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I do medium rare at restaurants, medium if it's a chain type place (Longhorn or Logan's), mostly because I don't trust them. At home, I generally go rare to medium rare.

I like mine medium to just a bit over medium. There is a crucial and very short window where the center of the steak goes from red to pink to lighter pink to brown and I am happy with light pink where the juices come out when I cut the steak. The issue I have with rare and medium rare steaks is that I often have to chew it like a piece of fat and if it is well done instead then I have to chew it like a cracker.
That might just be prepping it incorrectly. Need to leave it out forat leasta half hour, salted, before cooking. Throw that bitch on a super hot grill for maybe 45 seconds, rotate 45 degrees, another 45 seconds, flip, repeat, and you're pretty close to done.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Anything over medium is a crime against humanity. And even medium should only be used sparingly.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I do medium rare at restaurants, medium if it's a chain type place (Longhorn or Logan's), mostly because I don't trust them. At home, I generally go rare to medium rare.

That might just be prepping it incorrectly. Need to leave it out forat leasta half hour, salted, before cooking. Throw that bitch on a super hot grill for maybe 45 seconds, rotate 45 degrees, another 45 seconds, flip, repeat, and you're pretty close to done.
How thick of a cut are you using? 45 seconds even super hot is going to be red on the inside. Possibly even still lukewarm -> cold. I like to marinate mine for 4-8 hours. If I do a 30 minute marinade I might as well just use a sauce or butter/pepper topping.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
i rather eat a bloody pussy than a dry and stiff pussy.
Got to go with Astrocreep here. I saw the poll and assumed steak was a euphemism for vagina.

rrr_img_32825.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
How thick of a cut are you using? 45 seconds even super hot is going to be red on the inside. Possibly even still lukewarm -> cold. I like to marinate mine for 4-8 hours. If I do a 30 minute marinade I might as well just use a sauce or butter/pepper topping.
he did say 90 seconds before the flip. he rotates at 45 so you get that cool looking crosshatch pattern in the sear. i assume he meant char for 90 seconds each side then take it off the direct heat til ready.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ruin my shit and make every table around me cry at the waste of a good steak.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
he did say 90 seconds before the flip. he rotates at 45 so you get that cool looking crosshatch pattern in the sear. i assume he meant char for 90 seconds each side then take it off the direct heat til ready.
Yeah, that. 45 seconds, rotate 45 degrees, flip, repeat. That's 3 minutes. I'll move it off the super hot part of the grill for maybe another few minutes if it's especially thick (closer to an inch). The meat will also end up cooking while it rests a bit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Tony Bourdain on well done:

'Saving for well-done' is a time-honoured tradition dating back to cuisine's earliest days. What happens when the chef finds a tough, slightly skanky end-cut of sirloin that's been pushed repeatedly to the back of the pile? He can throw it out, but that's a total loss. He can feed it to the family, which is the same as throwing it out. Or he can 'save for well-done': serve it to some rube who prefers his meat or fish incinerated into a flavourless, leathery hunk of carbon.
And since Fifey chose to draw attention to himself, I'll include the next paragraph as well.

Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. Oh, I'll accommodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant (aubergine) and zucchini (courgette) suits my food cost fine.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Medium rare, simply because my mom has always ordered her steak "rare but warm" and it never, ever gets cooked to her satisfaction. It's either too cold or too brown. So I've learned to say medium rare and pretty much eat anything between rare and medium. I prefer it perfectly medium rare anyway, but I'll take a nicely cooked rare any day. The medium I've just pretty much accepted as what I'm going to get unless I'm eating somewhere expensive. I've worked in fast food, and had enough friends that worked in restaurants (and seen the movie Waiting) to know that I'd rather eat medium than whatever pubic-hair infested mess I might get if I send it back someplace like Applebee's. Unless of course I paid an arm and a leg for it, then fuck it, they can cook it right.

SnowFart_sl

shitlord
Medium Well here.
For the longest time, I ate mine Very Well. All because of my parents and their constant bitching at restaurants when I was a kid. If there was ANY pink in it, they sent it back.

Once I tried my wife's steak (she likes hers Medium Well) I fell in love that there was actually a FLAVOR to a steak other than burnt/charred. No steak sauces here either!

(Damn, now I'm hungry!)

I like mine medium to just a bit over medium. There is a crucial and very short window where the center of the steak goes from red to pink to lighter pink to brown and I am happy with light pink where the juices come out when I cut the steak.
Same. Very much a texture thing for me as well at the point of being medium/just a shade over. I've noticed a tendency to overcook steaks at most restaurants unless they're a reputable steakhouse; anything outside of that I'll order medium-rare and typically get medium.

No sauce here, either. Maybe a little bleu cheese and sauteed mushrooms depending on the cut, or bacon-wrap for a filet.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I cooked this yesterday at my restaurant as a special order, except I go heavy on the peppercorn on the steak itself. Some of the best compliments I've ever recieved.