How have you changed in the last decade?

LordMing_sl

shitlord
I retired in 2011 at 57. I miss the job and mostly the people I worled with but I stay in touch with them. My son got married and I now have a grandson who occupies a lot of my time. I also managed to fracture my left foot in 9 places this past December and spent 3 months in a surgical rehab which surprisingly pleasant enough. I found a wheel chair more entertaining then most and learning to go to get on and off a toilet with my foot in a fixator. That's a metal cage that goes around your foot to hold the bines in place and it weighed 15 pounds. Now im still in a surgical boot at least through the summer. Although my job was intense rotating shifts of 12 hours it worked for me in a crazy schedule I managed to be much healthier before I retired. The future holds for me my grandson and hopefully watching him grow into a man if I live that long. Anyway I have written too much but I do enjoy the board although I don't always contribute.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I retired in 2011 at 57. I miss the job and mostly the people I worled with but I stay in touch with them. My son got married and I now have a grandson who occupies a lot of my time. I also managed to fracture my left foot in 9 places this past December and spent 3 months in a surgical rehab which surprisingly pleasant enough. I found a wheel chair more entertaining then most and learning to go to get on and off a toilet with my foot in a fixator. That's a metal cage that goes around your foot to hold the bines in place and it weighed 15 pounds. Now im still in a surgical boot at least through the summer. Although my job was intense rotating shifts of 12 hours it worked for me in a crazy schedule I managed to be much healthier before I retired. The future holds for me my grandson and hopefully watching him grow into a man if I live that long. Anyway I have written too much but I do enjoy the board although I don't always contribute.
Can I ask what field/line of work were you in that you retired at 57? Did you want to, or were you encouraged by management? Also, how did you manage to break your foot so thoroughly?

LordMing_sl

shitlord
I worked in IT network systems. I could have left at 55 with 30 years but stayed for a while longer. I would have stayed but the company as a whole had changed so much to the point that anyone who could is retiring or leaving. Micromanagement and the wrong people in the wrong places managing. An example is why would you have a manager of a network group who knows nothing about the work or content. The company stopped pensions for management in 2009 and now looking to do the same for the union in two years at end of contract. For my foot it was due to diabetes for the most part. It made the bones more brittle.

Went from typical obedient but defiant underachieving military brat, to a mediocrely achieving late twenty year old. Became more embittered by economic systems and the society in which I was raised in extremely close proximity. Have questioned myself existentially and gone through sweeping personality changes for the better. Less anxious, more socially comfortable. Understand better the effects that long term Ritalin exposure in my adolescence has played a part on my mental and emotional development throughout my teens and twenties.

I'm becoming less terrified to make big choices in life, such as to move when I want, pursue whatever ventures I want, and overall, not letting the perceived tyranny of the judgement of others overwhelm and suffocate me.

Definitely happier.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Jobs have changed for the better, so that's good. But personal life hasn't progressed at all in the past decade or, hell, even the decade before that.

I now find myself in the early 40s and it's become abundantly clear that things just don't happen on their own. One has to make them happen.

W

Wrathcaster

I learned what an awful decision it was to go to law school and become an attorney.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Graduated with a 2 year degree

Moved out of my parents house

Lost weight

Made friends

Graduated with a 4 year degree

Got Job

Moved again

Lost desire to play video games

Had relationships, ended relationships

Lost Job

Moved again

gained perspective

Put on Muscle

Got Job

Had relationships, ended relationships

Moved again

Lost Job

Spent 6 months training with military program to become an Officer

Lost weight, put on muscle

Didn't join the Military

Got job

Started training in Muay Thai And BJJ, became addicted

Started applying to a bunch of jobs I wanted

Moved again

Got Job Offer

9 months into Job

Training, Muay Thai and BJJ a bit over a year now

Lost weight - put on weight - lost weight - such is the nature of weight cutting.

Computer Programmer

Crazily

N00b
A decade ago I was 25......my life was about all WoW, having a social life and partying. I had the world figured out and had just landed a stable government job in IT.

Now I am 35, WoW (and MMO's in general) have lost most of it's charm. I am still at the same job, got a few promotions and raises, it has it's good days and bad days. Single, no kids, plenty of friends but no real social life. I have been battling depression/health issues/medications the last few years. I can't help but feel the best times are behind me. =(

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Job I love, g/f I love but don't know if I wanna marry, can barely stand video games any more than 5 minutes, just lost my passion for them.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Got married, bought a house and began a career. It's funny to see kids now who are me 10 years ago, just thinking they know everything, and every time I try to tell them something about life, I see them just ya'ing me to death, much like I would of.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Steaks are bigger, and drinks are smaller.

And I take particular joy in spending time with my family, rather than finding time away.

Kids, man.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I honestly haven't changed since I was 13. Only the stuff around me changed and the amount of knowledge I have changed.
Oh, what's funny about this is I can read my internet posts from 14 years ago. I used to be a lot more eloquent and thoughtful. Like a teenager trying to impress people.