• $200k-$300k solo

• $200k-$300k household

• $300k+ solo

• $300k+ household

Results are only viewable after voting.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Weird multiquote error

Cool just making sure I’m not getting shadow tagged in Vanessa’s secret gay fag outing sessions.

I’m mean i don’t hide my tranny open addiction but goddamn if I will allow myself to be secretly mocked

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Still since I know nothing of Second Life other than it's a kind of MMORPG I guess, I still don't understand the business model AladainAF AladainAF does.

The business model of SL is that you have to not think of it as a game in any regard. You have to think about a true, total "second" life when thinking about making money, with absolutely no regulation of any kind other than the most extreme of frauds. You have to not get hung up on real world things.

My business model works exactly how any real world business model would when selling product, with a few minor changes. Think about games on steam. Imagine creating a game that players generally enjoyed -- an average game -- and releasing it to steam for $10. Then, imagine never needing to update it, fix any bugs, or do anything with it. It's just there, waiting to be purchased. Now, imagine that the technology your game employs is always current and available.

That's kinda how SL works. You make shit, and you sell shit. And the shit you sell is available on the market. Forever, just waiting for people to buy. And if you make something new that catches on such as a breedable pets, you'll make a killing. Those people that make successful breedables make much more than I do.

I do so well because I do many things, and am many markets. Gaming, scripting/coding, custom work, etc. But while I'm enjoying working a few hours a week, I'm not going to lie that I killed myself for the first few years working to build up what I have.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Vyemm Raider
That blows my mind that SL is still a cash cow, right in the feels that I missed that boat

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Well yeah but I'm willing to bet.the highest earners are the loudest. The lowest are under represented
This right here. I'm on the lower end, despite doing "ok" compared to people around me. I debated even voting, much less posting in this thread, because I feel somewhat poor compared to the rest of you guys.

But then I remember all of this is german salary money making sure I also have healthcare and a pension to look forward to, where most of you have to take care of those things yourselves. Dampens the blow a bit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That blows my mind that SL is still a cash cow, right in the feels that I missed that boat
Me and you both my dude lol. I can't even imagine that being my career. I always wondered if I could make a hobby out of it but I'm thinking the market is fully saturated

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
It's a pity you didn't stick to your guns.

Feel free to post something other than a watch (a fucking WATCH LoL) as proof of your claims Foler. A sub-millionaire would surely have plenty of "avenues" of proof to provide the many doubters you have in this thread.

I have a hunch, however, that all we'll really be getting is a bevy of bros, urs, and ad hominems.

Trying to pass yourself off to other people on a message board that you're wealthy has got to be the lamest shit in the history of lame shit. Wow.

Listen, I know what you're doing. You're trying to make 100% sure it's worth the risk soliciting to me to become your sugar daddy. Trying to size me up against @Falxy-US as to who's dick you should suck for $.

Ya, no thanks dude. Go with falxy. His piece of paper shows he's worth millions. 😂 Now I know what Trump feels like when liberals are mad at him over not wanting to release his tax return. Easiest way to spot a sjw liberal on this forum - when they mad at ur financial success and demand tax returns.

VTxmwaCEwSlZm.gif

• 2Garbage

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
We are in the 150k bracket as a household. But with a 3k mortgage and $1200 in car payments every month it goes fast (one car is paid off in a few months).

DC/northern Virginia is stupid expensive. We are currently trying to sell our home and considering moving to North Carolina. Where we could live mortgage free in a much more modest house while I go back to college for a few years. Alternatively we'll sell the house and move to an overpriced apartment.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Got our property tax assessment from Fairfax County last week. Home value went up 8% between 2018 and 2019. Fuck you Amazon.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
This right here. I'm on the lower end, despite doing "ok" compared to people around me. I debated even voting, much less posting in this thread, because I feel somewhat poor compared to the rest of you guys.

But then I remember all of this is german salary money making sure I also have healthcare and a pension to look forward to, where most of you have to take care of those things yourselves. Dampens the blow a bit.

Well there are a lot of factors that can't be weighed in a simple poll, many of which have been brought up during the thread. As an example where you live is a huge one which it comes to mortgage/rent cost. Then there are added benefits that aren't calculated, 401k match, insurance, pension, vacation, etc. Then there are other factors such as Vanessa Vanessa pointing out she owns her home which allows her income to go much further. So I would try not to let the numbers give you the impression you are poor. Even moreso if you are living in another country like Germany.

Also as much as you would hope people would be honest in an anonymous poll we know deep down a few dipshits have skewed the numbers a bit. Even so I feel like the feedback here was good and answered my question well enough.

I think there are at least a few who are living beyond their means from the sound of it when they talk about what they are paying so that is another factor.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The business model of SL is that you have to not think of it as a game in any regard. You have to think about a true, total "second" life when thinking about making money, with absolutely no regulation of any kind other than the most extreme of frauds. You have to not get hung up on real world things.

My business model works exactly how any real world business model would when selling product, with a few minor changes. Think about games on steam. Imagine creating a game that players generally enjoyed -- an average game -- and releasing it to steam for $10. Then, imagine never needing to update it, fix any bugs, or do anything with it. It's just there, waiting to be purchased. Now, imagine that the technology your game employs is always current and available.

That's kinda how SL works. You make shit, and you sell shit. And the shit you sell is available on the market. Forever, just waiting for people to buy. And if you make something new that catches on such as a breedable pets, you'll make a killing. Those people that make successful breedables make much more than I do.

I do so well because I do many things, and am many markets. Gaming, scripting/coding, custom work, etc. But while I'm enjoying working a few hours a week, I'm not going to lie that I killed myself for the first few years working to build up what I have.

So basically it's an unregulated marketplace. Setting up and selling items over time until you have a vast offering of products does make sense but you were showing transactions of $10k. So I don't know if those are specific items? It doesn't seem like there would be any rarity in this type of system if you are simply selling pixels.

I think this is where you lose me and I can't wrap my head around the idea that people treat this 15 year old game like it's the fucking matrix or something. Sounds like there are roughly 800k-900k active users who play it and judging by the market place they certainly have no issues throwing money at it.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/

Well if nothing else good for you for finding a niche market and making a killing at it. This is the kind of crazy shit that makes capitalism what it is.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I don't think I ever claimed to make 7 figures per year, but if you took what I make in a year and compared that to the number of hours I actually work, it would equal out to around $1500 per hour. So far in 2019, just myself, I've made a little over $75,000 and yeah, I've worked about 50 or so hours this year.

I own three businesses (1 S-Corp , and 2 1065 Partnerships). I hire a fantastic CPA to handle all of it. I just scan and drop receipts and bills to a portal and he shits out a return at the end of the year. He does my S-Corp bookkeeping and payroll as well. I have to sign a few things (1099s that we mail out etc), but other than that he just does all the work. He charges me about $3,000 a year for everything, including personal return. I would never ever do my own taxes, hell no. If you're doing them on your own, more power to you but if you can afford a lawyer to finalize them, you're better off just using a CPA I would think. I have a CPA do it because I have better things to do with my time, such as getting through all 10 acts in PoE in a timely fashion.

That's a steal. Better be sending that guy a Christmas card every year

Brad2770

I’m just below the $50k mark. I was a tad over $30k at the first of last year. I take my last test for certifications this Friday. If I pass, I should be above the $50k mark.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So basically it's an unregulated marketplace. Setting up and selling items over time until you have a vast offering of products does make sense but you were showing transactions of $10k. So I don't know if those are specific items? It doesn't seem like there would be any rarity in this type of system if you are simply selling pixels.

Yes, though not all my money is made by just selling products. My biggest money makers are in the game industry in SL. The games themselves are sold no copy and licensed on my backend server, and which the owners of locations that do game stuff need thousands of units to operate properly. Those products also take a percentage of revenue from each time they are played. So if someone pays say L$1000 to play a game, I'm getting L$10 out of it. Multiply that over 10,000 games per day, that's L$100K per day (~$400 USD). So not only is my game really important for the success of their business, they are paying me for eternity to actually use it. And if they fail to pay me or otherwise break the terms of service, I can turn off their licenses on my backend server, and the games will cease to function in world. I'm not a dick about that, but needless to say I have no problem getting paid. They get my support out of it, I always will fix any bugs (though rarely are any as the coding there is very constricted, and the bugs are usually caused by the service and not my code), and I'll also ensure my games are in good graces with the owner of SL. And of course, my games make them money too, so its a win/win for everyone.

I think this is where you lose me and I can't wrap my head around the idea that people treat this 15 year old game like it's the fucking matrix or something. Sounds like there are roughly 800k-900k active users who play it and judging by the market place they certainly have no issues throwing money at it.

I remember going to GDC in .. 2005? or so in Austin making fun of this new thing called "Second Life". This was around when PSHome came into being on the playstation 3. Who in their right mind would ever pay for virtual pixels? Turns out a lot do. I actually don't talk about "what I do" in my real life. I just say I'm a programmer and leave it at that. It's hard for many people to wrap their mind around it.

There was a funny joke here about the furry cocks and stuff. I don't really make that stuff in SL. I did, once for a paid commission, script one for a customer. But I was paid well to do it, so why not? But it's nothing I make. That's not to say that creators don't. Trust me, they are out there. And there are some that will "interact" with a real life sex toy. It's pretty crazy shit.

There was a really cool thread about the creators of the Meeroo's in SL (a breedable) on an AmA on Reddit about how did he get started and why did he get started. I always like the "why did you leave a fortune 500 company to work in SL" type threads.

I've always been a game designer at heart ever since I found Dungeons and Dragons as a kid. We played plenty of D&D, but we also loved to make up our own games. I had taught myself BASIC by going to the local Radio Shack every day after school, and I was enamored with the idea of making RPGs on the computer ever since!

Fast forward to college, I was making my own MUD with some good friends of mine the same time TinyMUD hit the scene. This group was known as TEAMCTHULHU. Funny tidbit, originally TinyMUD only had "say" but in the MUD we were working on we additionally had an "emote" command with the colon shortcut. James Aspnes asked if he could borrow this idea for TinyMUD, I said sure! and so now pretty much every MUD and MMO ever since have included it, including SL. We tried to talk someone at GEnie if I recall into paying us to complete development on our MUD, but nothing stuck.

One of my room mates at the time interviewed for Origin Systems, working with Richard Garriott would have been a dream come true for any of us I think, but he came back and told us the job would only pay $28K I think, plus of course there would be a perpetual crunch time.. So as alluring of an idea of being a game dev back then was, I was hoping to do a little better than that with my shiny new degree from Purdue. Back then distribution was a big enough issue that being an indie dev just wasn't feasible like it is today. So instead I went corporate and got to work on AI stuff back before AI was cool !

So a bit long winded there, but Second Life being a virtual world was of like a home coming back to my MUD days. Originally I came solely for entertainment. After a couple years of scripting random stuff for everything I wanted for myself, I had a pretty good handle of how to make efficient scripts. I met my original two partners and we were all at a place we wanted to make something BIG in SL. That was our goal. The first few times we met, we tossed out all the ideas we thought might take off. I don't even really remember what the other non-breedable ideas were, and to be honest I was pretty skeptical of the breedable idea in the beginning. I had not played any myself. I was shocked the business model worked how it did and how hugely popular some of the other systems out there were when in reality they had basically no game play involved. We voted unanimously to make a new breedable and rolled up our sleeves.

So it took about nine months from start of development until launch, and the whole time new breedables were popping up and most tanked after about a month from what I could tell. You need to hit a critical mass of players to have staying power. I was convinced (hoping?) that it was because of they either didn't look very good, had no interaction/breeding rules, or both. I knew our artist was doing top notch work on the look of them, and I was trying my best to squeeze in as much as I could in a limited number of scripts. I think Meeroos were a one two punch of cuteness to pull people in and then a more intriguing game play to keep interest level up. Our preorder sales were very encouraging and they seemed to be really well received in our beta program, so I was cautiously optimistic!

I was made very aware by my team and all the beta participants that every prior breedable crashed or otherwise had a rough launch, so I was determined to have enough hardware to support us and we tested like crazy. While having a rock solid product may not make everyone rush out and buy it, having a buggy one will certainly make people quit. I had done some estimated projections for how many servers we would need based on how many meeroos in world there would be. It was after about three months after launch I think when I realized we had a hit because we were already blowing way past even my most optimistic estimates for an entire year. However this meant I still had scaling issue I had to address on the servers that first summer.

Well if nothing else good for you for finding a niche market and making a killing at it. This is the kind of crazy shit that makes capitalism what it is.

Amen to that. I'm milking that cow for all its worth, but I do the best I can to be completely respectful and fair to my customer base. Without them, I have no business.

• 2Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Talk to your local financial advisor (me) about a few good options when making too much money and how to gain levels in everquest! Just kidding there aren't really any secrets - just make sure you look at SEPs if you're a solo show and bury your money in your cousins backyard if you're on your way to a divorce.