• $150k-$200k household

• $200k-$300k solo

• $200k-$300k household

• $300k+ solo

• $300k+ household

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I would never in a million years classify myself as upper class. Not even upper middle, just straight middle
Thats because you cant see the forest through the trees. You are in the top 10% of income earners in America, far from middle.

Not sure how accurate this is but seems about right from what Ive seen.
Average Income in America: What salary in the United States puts you in the top 50%, top 10%, and top 1%?

1%: $250,000
5%: $130,000
10%: $90,000
20%: $60,000
30%: $45,000
40%: $35,000
50%: $30,000
60%: $20,000 – $24,999
70%: $15,000
80%: $5,000 — $9,999
90%: $0.01 — $4,999

Fadaar

That guy
Made around $70k last year but I got a decent pay raise/promotion. Hourly rate so how much I make is entirely dependent on how lazy I am (aka overtime). 6% matching 401k would actually skew the number a good bit higher but I don't really know how to calculate that.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Made around $70k last year but I got a decent pay raise/promotion. Hourly rate so how much I make is entirely dependent on how lazy I am (aka overtime). 6% matching 401k would actually skew the number a good bit higher but I don't really know how to calculate that.
Company contributes 6% to match? That's pretty damn good. I think only get a match up to 4% on mine.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thats because you cant see the forest through the trees. You are in the top 10% of income earners in America, far from middle.

Not sure how accurate this is but seems about right from what Ive seen.
Average Income in America: What salary in the United States puts you in the top 50%, top 10%, and top 1%?
Right, I understand the data but we live in a small house in a small town. My house is 1500 sq ft with 1/4 acre and it cost us nearly $300k. Maybe in the south my money would go further

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That is a 1.2m house in Santa Barbara. There is a -lot- of skew with what things are worth depending on where you are.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
120 solo, 160 household.

Baller money in Buffalo. Sadly I blow a solid 120 a week on happy hour and home drinking. And another 60-80 on eating out for dinner. Living like that takes a huge chunk out of your post tax earnings. It’s like I make 20 grand less a year.

Is Buffalo headed up or down? I worked there for a summer like a decade ago, and it felt like there were really awesome old houses in the midst of ghetto. Couldn't tell which direction it was headed, but seemed like there was a ton of potential.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Is Buffalo headed up or down? I worked there for a summer like a decade ago, and it felt like there were really awesome old houses in the midst of ghetto. Couldn't tell which direction it was headed, but seemed like there was a ton of potential.

It’s been on a constant climb and I think is starting to peak. A lot of houses have been renovated in the city. At this point any house in the city that goes on the market sells in less than a week. Still a lot of ghetto that needs clearing out.

Kind of wish I was single and young again, there are so many new “luxury” apartment buildings downtown in the old buildings that are very nice and right around the happening areas.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Right, I understand the data but we live in a small house in a small town. My house is 1500 sq ft with 1/4 acre and it cost us nearly $300k. Maybe in the south my money would go further

Depends a lot on WHERE in the south. I'm in "Dallas proper" and we're seeing silly housing prices (glad I bought in 2001). We're still not in the Austin crazy level prices, but we're heading that direction, with people fleeing out into suburbs which are now also shooting up in price.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I live in Eastern WA so our $200k-$300k feels like more like $500k+ if we were living on the West Side or somewhere a little more metropolitan. I plan to move back to Vegas when the kids are grown but for now it is hard to beat living on a river with over an acre (an acre is not much but is a lot when you are in town). We have the best of both worlds feels like we live in the country with shopping 5 mins away and Costco about 10mins away.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Yeah totally depends on area. I’m $300k house and it’s 2600 sq ft and a full basement, on 1/3 acre.

• 1Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
The house my parents are in is 2800 sq foot in a good neighborhood in the Tampa suburbs that ran them I think ~$270k when they moved in... 1997? House is worth more than double that now.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just down the street from me a place just sold. 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, 2400 square feet, 1/2 acre. Sold for $190,000. Property taxes listed as $1,090. $70K salary here gets you a lot of house and all that.

• 1WTF

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
160k household feels poor in Frisco Texas.

The next year for us is going to be lowering the means we are living within. I think last year we hit equilibrium, at about 60k. Then I got a bump, she graduated, and now it's kill debt time.

Hoping to get it down like some of you guys and live off about 45-50k a year.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I bought 20 years ago for 262k, and just about to finish paying it off this year. I could probably sell now for 1.2mil. My neighbor just sold their 1 bedroom 800 square foot bungalow for 1mil last year. Totally reno'd houses on the same lot size go for 3mil+ in my neighborhood. Now that we need more space buying something adequate will run me between 1.4 and 2mil. while adding an hour to my commute. As the sole breadwinner in my household I am quite happy to stay put.

...this is Canada btw.

• 1WTF
  • 1Barf

Altaruk Soulforged

Trakanon Raider
We have a solo income household just over 6 figures and it's very tough in MA, housing prices are absurd. My house is assessing nearly 100k over what we bought it at too along with the rest of the neighborhood.

As an aside I was talking with some junior engineers at work the other day and they were talking about salaries. They said something about how they thought the real senior principal engineers must make like $120k and I had to bring them back to earth for a minute. I didn't tell them what I made, but I insinuated that as a senior engineer (two promotions above them) I know for sure they make way more than that. Just found it interesting.

There's a lot of truthful people here I imagine but a few I have doubts on

Dude, same on having a house in MA and the current appraisal situation. Hurts.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
160k household feels poor in Frisco Texas.

The next year for us is going to be lowering the means we are living within. I think last year we hit equilibrium, at about 60k. Then I got a bump, she graduated, and now it's kill debt time.

Hoping to get it down like some of you guys and live off about 45-50k a year.
Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus comes from Little Elm, but when she grew up there it was essentially a couple blocks of houses, a couple places to eat, and the closest stop and go to the lake where you could buy booze. She wants to move out of Dallas (We're near Marsh/Forest) and back somewhere "like Little Elm". THe problem is "Like Little Elm" when SHE was growing up in it means we're going to be close to living in Oklahoma.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
We have no debt, and it's amazing how little you can live on without any debt. Own your home and vehicles and monthly costs are very low. We're putting a metric fucktonne of money away right now, while still living a decent lifestyle with kids. Plenty of travel, plenty of fun. Once you own your home, so many more options open up financially.

I'm still trying to decide whether I eventually want to own a home or will just be a perpetual renter. I'm kind of iffy on setting aside 50k over 5ish years in cash equivalents earning at best 2.5% for a down payment when that money (and the money sunk into a mortgage) could instead be invested and earning 6-7% YOY on average. True that eventually you can sell your home, but on average, I've read that home prices historically have only just kept pace with inflation.

I'm also lazy as shit and generally don't like DIY repair.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm still trying to decide whether I eventually want to own a home or will just be a perpetual renter. I'm kind of iffy on setting aside 50k over 5ish years in cash equivalents earning at best 2.5% for a down payment when that money (and the money sunk into a mortgage) could instead be invested and earning 6-7% YOY on average. True that eventually you can sell your home, but on average, I've read that average home prices historically have only just kept pace with inflation.

I'm also lazy as shit and generally don't like DIY repair.

I hear this and understand it. Home owning is not for everyone. One example I like to give to people are former neighbours of mine (different city from where I live now). They bought their house, but didn't do any maintenance themselves. Anything they needed to do they saved up for and hired it out. They had their home paid off (despite paying quite a bit for reno) by the time they were about 55. Then they saved money, but neither of them had much in the way of pension. They had no kids, and when they got to a point where money was tight, they took on a reverse mortgage. Their home was worth about $650,000, so with modest monthly payments it guaranteed a good long period of income with no risk.

But to each his or her own. I really prefer owning to renting.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like