How much real money have MMOs made you?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lost

<Bronze Donator>
yeah, i always feel like its nice to get something back when i move on from a game. like selling the account, better than leaving that time investment to rot. god knows ive got like 2 groups rotting on agnarr =p

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I admit I was poor in college.

Life has been good to me after though.
Yeah, that's pretty much the state i was in when i did the bulk of my selling, my last year of college and the gap between graduating and starting my first job.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I checked how much I'd get for 5mil WoW gold for shits and giggles and it's 210$.
Yeah well no thanks I'd rather buy a longboi and idle in style.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Too attached to my characters to ever sell.

And to sell currency means you turned your hobby into a shitty paying job, no thanks.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Between EQ and League of Legends, six figures over the course of little over 2 years that I did it. 2 years on League and 3 months on EQ.

A good friend of mine that I played with on phinny prob makes the most out of the people I've met personally though as far as RMT'ing on your own as an individual without a company. He's a programmer by profession and writes completely AFK craft/marketplace scripts for any game that's big on crafting and has a marketplace. He's been bringing in about 10-20k a month for years now just from his scripts. Which is pretty nice considering the only actual work he has to do is writing the script and optimizing it, and then after that they run completely on their own.

The most I've ever heard of anyone making from RMT'ing on video games would prob be the guy from League of Legends who stole a skin code generator from Riot games and made in the hundreds of millions by setting up an automated website with it. Hard to tell how much he made in total, the only information that was ever confirmed is that around 3 million of the cheapest skin on the site was sold, and it was $45. He operated for about 3 years and never had legal action taken against him. The two guys who owned LeagueSharp (script service) which had over a million subscribers at their peak for $15 a month is also another big one that comes to mind, they operated for about 4 years before Riot won their lawsuits against them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nissir

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wouldn't have Riot have noticed an influx of millions of dollars worth of skins? If not, that is crazy. I made a total of around 5k, mostly through SWG. Exploited the every loving shit out of a few bugs. First one was I was playing a wookie creature handler and he was playing the buff/heal doctor. I could have 3 full grown rancors buffed to hell and with his insane percentage based heals we would go out and farm the Krayt dragons. Both classes were soon nerfed into oblivion. Other big exploit was where a coder missed a few 0s on the rewards for a repeatable quest that you could finish in about 3 minutes by just running up and blasting a bugs nest and running back to town. I took a few days off of school and played damn near 72 hours straight. Made enough to pay for almost my whole year of school though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Wouldn't have Riot have noticed an influx of millions of dollars worth of skins? If not, that is crazy. I made a total of around 5k, mostly through SWG. Exploited the every loving shit out of a few bugs. First one was I was playing a wookie creature handler and he was playing the buff/heal doctor. I could have 3 full grown rancors buffed to hell and with his insane percentage based heals we would go out and farm the Krayt dragons. Both classes were soon nerfed into oblivion. Other big exploit was where a coder missed a few 0s on the rewards for a repeatable quest that you could finish in about 3 minutes by just running up and blasting a bugs nest and running back to town. I took a few days off of school and played damn near 72 hours straight. Made enough to pay for almost my whole year of school though.

Probably depends what server these skin codes were for and other factors. A billion dollar company can lose track of a few mill rather easily. Game companies usually don't have all tools in place to track this stuff right away.

I'm actually more surprised that a Skin Code generator could work outside Riot's servers tbh.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I am absolutely in the negative when it comes to time invested.

First account I sold was in EQ during anguish, necromancer with 1.5 epic, 2nd-3rd best guild on the server I think I was top 5 best equipped necros. Ended up getting like 1k which I thought was a ton of money at the time.

Went to WoW leveled and sold a rank 10 rogue for a few hundred, came back during tbc with a warlock, ended up selling the account during sunwell Muru prog since warlocks were required.

Bought a shadow priest that I finished sunwell with. Rerolled to DK and sold that account at the end of MoP

Started back in late WoD with a boosted account, mid nightwell I paid $150 for a near naked monk account that I still have but would sell for a few hundo if someone was interested.

Overall probably made 5-6k total.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I put I was guild leader of the top guild on an EQ EMU server back in 2009 on my resume a few years back. Helped me land a job making $350k a year. Who says Everquest didn't pay off.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
WoW - Vanilla - Tauren Warrior - $350 - when you could still sell on Ebay
Wow - Burning Crusade - Gnome Rogue - $250 - PlayerAuctions

Came back for later expansions but never hardcore enough to sell characters.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Sold my Dark Elf Enchanter on Tallon Zek for around USD $3000 pre kunark. Had a decent rep on the server in both pvp and pve (back when MMOs had community), was the 2nd level 50 enc on the server (I mercilessly hunted the 1st at every opportunity, guy had no clue in in pvp), had top of the line plane gear etc. Bought my first car with the proceeds and had change left over.

Sold my Abyss Walker on Lineage 2 for from memory around $800. The guy (some pretty old southern US guy who bought the account so he could play with his adult son) hunted down my personal contact details somehow and called me around 2 weeks later to accuse me of reclaiming the account from him (which i hadn't done), but I then proceeded to do so so that I could reset the password and give it back to him again.

Sold a few other accounts in various games for like $150-$200.. Aion, few others.. Haven't sold any in years though, mostly because I don't play enough to be able to make anything valuable.

I've still got my original wow account with my level 60 priest full on MC gear and benediction/anathema.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
About $20,000 total from Ultima online and everquest accounts over the last 20 years or so.
None of that was from item sales, purely account sales. It was never my goal to make money, I just offloaded accounts when I got bored with the games.

It was ridiculously easy to do the sales, and have accounts "worth value". Either I've fell out of touch with online gaming, or it doesn't seem to be an easy process these days. Doesn't seem like accounts hold much value anymore. I still have accounts that are very well established on multiple games, but a quick web search shows they're likely worth nothing, not even the time to post them for sale.

My dad was joking with the family during Thanksgiving telling everyone when I was like 15 I would tell him I have a multi thousand dollar check coming in the mail and a few days later it would show up. Said he was always worried FBI was in route.

Anyone want to buy a 4 box on agnarr for cheap? Basically a best in slot geared maxed out ranger, a shaman, an enchanter, and a mage.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Either I've fell out of touch with online gaming, or it doesn't seem to be an easy process these days.
asuna-gif.gif

(chinese bots)

ruin everything.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mtnhmr

Trakanon Raider
EQ, circa. 99-2002, approximately $20k USD.

That sweet sweet plat laundered through Ebay.

• 1Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Made about $2k from Everquest back when I was in high school. Bought my first car with it.

I'll be honest, I don't even remember how I made it.

Edit: Reading through the thread and I do remember now. At some point one my corpses duped (not on purpose). I was in a top raiding guild, and I also loved spending time trading in the EC tunnel. So I sold a good bit of plat on ebay. I also somehow came into a shared account that everyone else just kind of gave up on. Sold it and my main account.

Last edited:

lost

<Bronze Donator>

I had a bounty hunter with two rancors, then two gurrecks. Dude creature handlers were the shit, specially with gurrecks that would outrun players and hit like rancors. lol. most fun i ever had in agame.