How much real money have MMOs made you?

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
Made enough money in EQ to pay for just about 2 years of school.

Most of it was spending weekends farming spell rune turnins in Gates, tracking boss/god/dragon spawns and selling droppables, and being the only Human tradeskiller on Tribunal that ever advertised (there was 1 other), which meant a LOT of plat because people were dumb about dyed alt gear and PoP bows.

The rest was flipping bazaar crap.

Was not worth it in hindsight. Do not recommend doing it that way.

Though now that Krono is a thing, if you're smart about it and have the right software available, you can make a shitload in a short time on TLP servers, as long as you can be sure you can offload the krono for more than the floor prices.

Worst part: a couple months after I stopped selling plat, I got ~$5.6k worth of chargebacks to the PayPal address I used for that. PayPal can be dicks about it, took a few months for my bank to fight with them about it which resulted in not being able to use that bank account on the paypal account I use for dealing with NotChineseMiddlemen.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
would love to know how much frenzic made lol

I never saw this thread. I think it's a really interesting topic.

The issue with discussing this is that people have very strong emotions related to RMT, especially in EQ.

I could go into vast details about EQ and the RMT that happened behind the scenes. I just think it would piss people off heh.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Just sell your shit for a few hundred/grand when ur done playing like a normal person

I walked off D3 at paragon 100 with like 400$ total

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I never saw this thread. I think it's a really interesting topic.

The issue with discussing this is that people have very strong emotions related to RMT, especially in EQ.

I could go into vast details about EQ and the RMT that happened behind the scenes. I just think it would piss people off heh.

Making a post about how you're not going to make a post is way worse than making a post about your rmt practices. A post about that would actually be interesting!

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just sell your shit for a few hundred/grand when ur done playing like a normal person

I walked off D3 at paragon 100 with like 400$ total
I got to max lvl when D3 came out and stopped playing. I'm just not one to grind it out in that type of game. Either its as boring as I think it is, or I just have a short attention span.

On that note : I let a friend use the account to play D3 while the Auction House was still enabled. It was years later when I noticed that he had made north of four grand playing the game. Ive revisited D3 a few times since then and played other classes to max, but when I look at the items that he sold that sometimes went for hundreds of dollars a piece.. those items are complete trash. People were buying god awful Yellows back then. Even though good loot was much more rare back then, it still doesnt make sense to me.

As far as pertaining to the thread, I think Ive made more personally off of EQ TLP Mischief than I did in any other game. When the rift happened between Zaides crew and Greeds crew happened, it slit my krono generation's throat. The people I would do stuff with on the side all of a sudden wouldnt group with the other guild and vice versa. Was the dumbest fkn thing imo. I wasnt playing the game for krono, so it didnt really matter. But it was still pretty cool to cash out a few hundred krono just from where I played the game for fun when I quit.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
There are people who play these kinds of games that just have money to burn it seems. It's probably why gaming has gone in the direction it's gone. The people who realized 15 years ago they could sell an imaginary pair of boots to someone for $50 went into game development and decided to do the same thing in their game.

Just look at games like lost ark and diablo immortal. Any year now EQ is gonna launch a TLP where you can just buy all of the gear for station cash.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
10k USD off of Vanguard plat. Nothing major but was a nice pickup. Buddy reached out to a Chinese distro and it just happened they were doing good business on the PvP server. Cashed out what we could off the mailbox dupe.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I got to max lvl when D3 came out and stopped playing. I'm just not one to grind it out in that type of game. Either its as boring as I think it is, or I just have a short attention span.

On that note : I let a friend use the account to play D3 while the Auction House was still enabled. It was years later when I noticed that he had made north of four grand playing the game. Ive revisited D3 a few times since then and played other classes to max, but when I look at the items that he sold that sometimes went for hundreds of dollars a piece.. those items are complete trash. People were buying god awful Yellows back then. Even though good loot was much more rare back then, it still doesnt make sense to me.

As far as pertaining to the thread, I think Ive made more personally off of EQ TLP Mischief than I did in any other game. When the rift happened between Zaides crew and Greeds crew happened, it slit my krono generation's throat. The people I would do stuff with on the side all of a sudden wouldnt group with the other guild and vice versa. Was the dumbest fkn thing imo. I wasnt playing the game for krono, so it didnt really matter. But it was still pretty cool to cash out a few hundred krono just from where I played the game for fun when I quit.

So u didn't dump your D3 stuff on the AH? That was the whole advertised point of the game? I mean that's what it looked like to me.

Daidraco

So u didn't dump your D3 stuff on the AH? That was the whole advertised point of the game? I mean that's what it looked like to me.
I didnt think my stuff was worth anything. Very much a missed opportunity, Im sure.

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Any year now EQ is gonna launch a TLP where you can just buy all of the gear for station cash.
That already exists and its called Mischief. $30 gets you over a million plat and you can buy anything you ever wanted. The thought constantly crosses my mind "well, do I want to camp this item for 5 hours or would I rather spend $10 and get it now". As a non-poor adult the choice is easy to make.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I didnt think my stuff was worth anything. Very much a missed opportunity, Im sure.

Yeah I mean it was a bunch of 12$ hellion cross bows you'd get, maybe one of the good rolled mempos or echoi'ing furies.

Anyone who claims to be making 5 grand off that is delusional.

Shmoopy

Sold Vanilla WoW Tauren Warrior on PVP server for $300 on Ebay.

Sold TBC Gnome Rogue for $250 on PlayerAuctions or similar site . At that point IIRC eBay banned game account sales ... 🤔

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
when I look at the items that he sold that sometimes went for hundreds of dollars a piece.. those items are complete trash. People were buying god awful Yellows back then. Even though good loot was much more rare back then, it still doesnt make sense to me.
And now, you know how Diablo Immortal makes millions while being the most absolute egregious piece of trash cash grab.

Oldbased

> Than U
This is off FreeCash playing mobile games. Currently on Vikingard, Grand Mafia and Game of Sultans. Also use Boints, Mistplay and a few others.
1000 coins is $1 and this is since January, so over $500 there and probably $400-500 on the others combined.
I use 100% of it for cat food, litter and flea/shampoo medicines.
My newest 9th cat is a British Shorthair, still under weight at 13lbs but the paws are 3 big fingers wide.
1659684983567.png
1659684845655.png

Back in the day I solod in Star Wars( first one ) and EQ2 and probably grabbed 30k over 4-5 years selling to Steve Bannon/Yantis. Still shocked Bannon got away from all that without more pushback given how often he is having to testify before Congress.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I had a working EQ1 dupe in 2000 or so. At that point I had limitless rare items (skelly necklace, fully charged res staves). People got suspicious when I would res entire groups on my mage, as the staves were not LORE. 1 AoN was going for like 500$ or so at the time on the server, I really missed out on that one by not being a sellout.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
IGE was awesome back in SWG days. Had two accounts, a master bio eng/doctor and master hammer toon. I would hunt all the rare ingredients to make the enhanced doc buffs, buff people or sell the bio stuff for people to make food buffs. The hunter toon would afk kill and harvest macro because nest spawned in the same spots all the time. I would probably play about 4 hours a day to handle the machines to prepare the enhanced buff ingredients.

Our guild architect also made some broken power gen's. They would farm double the amount of the power of a normal one and he has made me several. Between selling excess power, doing the doc buffs and making bio eng food/doc buff stuff I was making around 100 million credits a week and selling 20 million for $200 to IGE back in the early days of SWG. I wish it had last longer but SOE had to destroy SWG and kill my cash cow.

When the guild decided to move to Lineage 2 they gave me everything to sell and I trade it for Lineage 2 gold to setup the guild.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Teach me.

This is old and outdated, but it's where to go to ask for questions at least. I'll have to update it someday if people have an interest.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Canibal

Golden Knight of the Realm
In classic eq items like silver plated legs I can remember regularly getting $100 for on eBay. Fbss was $300 for the longest time and once got $600 for a glowing black stone. All common guk items would fetch $30-60 each. I never added up all sales but it had to be over 30k from original through kunark era, and this was just doing it casually while still going to school. They banned eBay sales at some point then it was just a matter of consolidating the items for plat and selling plat through the major companies. Can’t even remember their name now.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Around 4-5k I think (Everquest). A bard account, manastone, mask of tinkering. Half of it was from chargebacks reselling the same account though... It wasn't right of me in the least but I was so addicted to the game every time I thought I quit I had to take back the account months later. Negative karma points accumulated. Wish I could say sorry to the guys I fucked over or pay them back in some way now that I'm not dumb enough to pull that shit again.

I had someone do a chargeback on an Ebay sale I made a few months ago, basically stole $60 out of my pocket for a game I'd shipped them weeks earlier, no explanation, no nothing, and Ebay didn't help because I didn't see the chargeback until after the 7 day period you have to contest it or whatever. Guy lives in my state, actually thought about driving over and asking him what the fuck was up, but I'm not gonna get arrested over $60.

As for how much I've made from MMOs, I probably made around $600 from EQ in the last few years, nothing huge, just krono sales when I had an excess.