How much real money have MMOs made you?

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Peanuts compared to time put in and compared to some of your paydays but:

$1500 for top 10 world enhance shaman after killing yogg (stole back a year or two later cause I’m a garbage person)
$200 for garbage ESO account
$1000 for agnarr cleric (which guy gave me back the account when he was done with it, as well as his other two max accounts...weird)
$500 for agnarr rogue
$400 for cleric first month of coirnav
$250 for 52 chanter first week of kunark
$200 for different 55 chanter first week of luclin
$800 for top geared shadow priest on lights hope
$500 for rank 10 priest on the classic wow server before lights hope
$400 for archeage account

And I think that’s it...

Worst I’ve spent way more than that on games.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I know of people currently making $200k+ a month on this shit. RMT isn't dead, it has only grown over time. And gotten very, very illegal. Over half of what I see is professional money launderers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I spent my last couple years playing in the best raid guild on FV server where almost everything was tradeable. Wife and I sold our gear for $5k when we finally quit, kept our characters and dicked around for a month every couple of years but nothing serious. One of the guild officers was the main ebayer on that server and he was making tons. Other people I know irl at the time sold for $5-10k, one officer dude had three raid geared chars he sold for $17k. The leadership was pretty shady, they’d sell stuff out of the guild bank once in a while, the main scam was they’d disappear for a while and play an ebayed/new character, join the guild as a new recruit. Load up on gear for a month or two then eBay it all.

The secret came out and while it was a scandal, only a few people quit over it, and they continued to run the guild. The main ebayer guy eventually became the leader, not sure if they’re still going.

Not sure how much he made but I know he quit being a partner in a law firm to do it full time, and had a room with 8 PCs in it to run bazaar alts and stuff. I remember one week where he dropped like $40k buying people. From what I heard from people who knew him he was a millionaire.

Everything being tradeable just made it ludicrous. People who didn’t have the time or skill to raid could just drop a ton of cash and be raid geared.

Ruhl

Boner Donor
Sold a Earthshaker on Stromm for 3.5 million plat to fund a couple new toons. Had I been thinking at the time I should have cashed out, would have been a few hundred bucks, give or take.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Around ~$3k USD from selling two different accounts in EQ during Ykesha/Lost Dungeons time or so. I was only a kid at the time, so boy oh boy did I buy a lot of weed.

Edit: Forgot, throw another $1k USD on there. At one point I was moving my original Warrior from one account to another, and also included a server hop from Xegony to Prexus. SoE dropped the ball at the time, and literally just made a duplicate of my Warrior on the second account, and never removed the Warrior from the primary account. Ended up selling the duplicate years later.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
During WoW: Legion I got pretty good at playing the Auction House and paid for 6 - 8 months of subs before I got bored of WoW for good.

Not sure that even counts as making RL money, lol.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
One of my close buddies sold on p99 too, he had manastones, rod of annihilation, prenerf fungis and more during kunark. Said when he cashed out he made about $20k. I think he had about 20 VP geared accounts as well he'd buy from people that quit. He also worked with that female GM that got caught duping items for money. Cant believe the moeny people spent there, I think he said the rod got him $700. He also had access to guild bank for the top raiding guild, lol.

I remember when he first started on p99, he calls me and is like do you have an extra computer I can remote? I'm like what? So we setup teamviewer on an old laptop of mine and he boxes a cleric. I'd routinely come home see the laptop sitting in splitpaw groups with him. Didnt last long until they checked him and he couldnt really play them both at the same time in different directions.
Pretty sure thats who I sold my P99 account too.

Only ever made like 500 or so, never really cared about RMT. People would just hit me up after I quit and Id sell my acct for whatever.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
sold my EQ magician when I quit for a few hundred bucks, pretty sure I'm still massively in the red due to a 14 year active WoW sub

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
3 or 4k eq1

refused to sell the accounts, just turned all the dropable items into plats

eq2 was worse

basically everything was no-drop and cash meant nothing, even tho i was the richest on the server (eq2 had those live stats, i had to splitup all the cash between accounts to get off that list, you actually don't want to be seen as wealthy).

also did not sell eq2 accounts, and from the last convo, they moved me to the Arab server too.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
750 quid for an EQ2 account.

Over a grand for an Aion account that had a really great chanter on it.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of, who was that RMT trader on Tholuxe Paells that trolled the community with a "THX TP" license plate on a badass car from all the RMT he did after plundering an uber guilds guild bank character?

I recall there was some story about that. I believe the dudes name was Goomba, we called him Goombay as a play on eBay since at the time most of thea ccount trading was going on there before they banned it.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
-1000! I probably could've made a fortune though. In EQ1 around 2000 I was able to reproduce a dupe bug after our group evacced from Sirens Grotto yet left behind corpses with a copy of all our stuff. I played around a LOT, and once I figured it out, I duped mid-range items, and traded up until I got really expensive items, like rez sticks with full 10?charges, Amulets of Necropotence,etc. I joked about my factory in Toxx (where I'd /duel and die at the same time I used in zone evac), creating items daily. AoN's went for alot of money IRL, probably $100s per item, and I could make them from scratch. I never attempted to sell a thing though, and kept everything in game. Ah well ;)

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Impressive that you were able to reproduce the dupe. I had a few times in EQ were strange stuff like that happened (as I am sure most people did), but never was able to reproduce it.

Back in '99, while still on shitty dial-up, I lagged out right as a mob was murdering me. I logged back in, saw my character was fully equipped at the select screen, but when I landed in the game world I saw a corpse on the ground with all my items. I was like level 12 at the time, so the gains were minimal. Nothing like that ever happened again though.

• 1Like

ansar

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of, who was that RMT trader on Tholuxe Paells that trolled the community with a "THX TP" license plate on a badass car from all the RMT he did after plundering an uber guilds guild bank character?

I recall there was some story about that. I believe the dudes name was Goomba, we called him Goombay as a play on eBay since at the time most of thea ccount trading was going on there before they banned it.

I believe that was Goomba.

• 1Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Easiest to recreate dupe in classic that I found was to drag the kobold noble (take off all you MR gear) and fight him at the zone in. Pray you get charmed and it zoned you out.

When you zoned when charmed you would go linkdead and autorun into the lava outside and die. Somehow this removed your character from GM location tools. You would have to petiton and explain you got charmed by the noble and your corpse poofed. They would generate one from your last backup. I personally did this half a dozen times when loaded up with manastone, cloak of flames, rbb, etc

You first body would be down inside the lava pit with a full inventory.

Edit: Also when charmed by the noble it would circumvent the guide invulnerability. I had a group of guides/gms watching in Sol B and when the noble charmed my monk he murdered 3 of the level 20 guides.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Stayed up all night and into the morning to dupe Lineage 2 gold - by the time I couldn't stay awake any longer we had over $100k worth of in-game currency.

Spread it around to different accounts, a lot of which got banned. By the time I sold I ended up with about $3k

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Always wonder if I should have sold my Vanilla WoW account back in the day. Had offers between 4-5k.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, I wasn't quite 100% sure. Anyone recall the full story on it?

Had a toon on Thuluxe during that time. Remember the drama but can't remember the details. Did it have to do with Sacred Omen (the guild)? Didn't they fold because of Goombah, or something? Man that was a long time ago. Memory is so hazy. SO imploded then came back with Jeeves, Bascome and some other great players iirc.

EQ drama was the best. Flames forums, cock blocking, etc. Fucking loved it.