How often do you get email meant for someone else?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This started happening to me about a year ago I think. The first one I specifically remember was a woman from Ohio. Some of her colleagues started sending me random stuff about work. I responded to one or two of them trying to be a nice guy and cause it started to bug me, it pretty much stopped. But then her AAA agent started sending me stuff, insurance information, travel itinerary, etc. Emailed multiple times, letting the guy know, he responded but didn't fix it. The travel plans (airline tickets to hawaii for her honeymoon) included the fiance's name. Googled him and tracked down his current place of employment, called them up and told him I was getting his email. It stopped.

There have been at least 4 other instances where people have sent me job related documents/info. All people with the same first initial and last name as I do.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Hasn't happened to me too often. My bro had a doozie though. He got some email from a partner or principal in a law firm, who was attempting to forward it to one of his colleagues in the firm that shared my bro's first name. The kicker was that the email string was about one of the junior lawyers who was disputing what she had been paid for billed hours,and my bro knew her from high school and still does socially. I don't quite recall how the partner had my bro's email address. My bro responded and said hey you've got the wrong email address, I'll just go ahead and delete and forget about this and left it at that, and didn't say anything to the girl he knew. He never got any sort of reply from the law firm about it.

Turns out he runs in to her a few weeks later, and he's just making small talk and not mentioning that he knows how much she made the past few years and how her law firm is trying to fuck her. He asks her how things are going, and she responds to the effect of "well you have an idea I guess, fighting with my firm about my salary and bonus. Thanks for not just deleting that email and actually responding, because it made settling things a lot easier for me!"

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Every month or so I get a new service sending me emails about an account that someone just signed my email up for (IT's a very generic gmail account ex:[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */). The most recent one send me 'my' password in plaintext. I sent the company a nasty letter about security.

The worst is this anesthesiologist or doctor out in Oregon whose first name and initials are the same as mine. I get all kinds of notifications everytime he buys bullshit. I called up his office or house once and left a message and stopped caring afterward.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
This started happening to me about a year ago I think. The first one I specifically remember was a woman from Ohio. Some of her colleagues started sending me random stuff about work. I responded to one or two of them trying to be a nice guy and cause it started to bug me, it pretty much stopped. But then her AAA agent started sending me stuff, insurance information, travel itinerary, etc. Emailed multiple times, letting the guy know, he responded but didn't fix it. The travel plans (airline tickets to hawaii for her honeymoon) included the fiance's name. Googled him and tracked down his current place of employment, called them up and told him I was getting his email. It stopped.

There have been at least 4 other instances where people have sent me job related documents/info. All people with the same first initial and last name as I do.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...anger-domains/

Link to the original paperhttp://www.wired.com/images_blogs/th...er.Domains.pdf

This guy got 20 gigs of email in 6 months trying to do this actively. It kind of makes you wonder.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't get anything, but my brother in law has a very common first and last name. He actually started talking with I think 3 of the people who share his name and will forward their stuff to them. The girlfriend of one of the guys sent him some naked pictures of herself last year. He even forwarded those to the guy.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
There's one letter different between my email and some dentist in Florida and a priest in Haiti. We all three had emails meant for us that got sent to one of the other two for about a decade. It's always pretty obvious which should have recieved the mail and we just forward it to the right guy. I did get a ton of missadressed mail for a few months following the earthquake tho.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some attorney in St. Louis has the same name as me. He used to send work stuff to what I assume was supposed to be his personal email. Did it once a month or so, I always replied and told him it was the wrong email but he never responded and just kept doing it.

He stopped after he accidentally sent me the draft copy of some multi million dollar merger.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I always get emails intended for some poor guy who doesn't have an abnormally large penis. I feel kind of embarrassed for him so I haven't tried to track him down.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've had the same email since the dawn of time, and I don't think this has ever happened to me once. Well, except for all those guys who keep needing to verify their WoW account information - I get a lot of those...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not exactly the same thing but this one was good! Me and the fianc? were talking with a DJ for our wedding through email. We set up a time to meet and everything. Next day we got some internal email about the bankruptcy meeting they were having this week with their lawyers and everything. It was strange because it was sent between the owners with just us 2 Cc'd on it. Explained to the owner we wouldn't be using them because of this and he told me "fuck you". Enjoy being bankrupt prick.

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
This in-bred retard doesn't own an e-mail address, so I get his gun magazine subscriptions, credit card statements, password verifications, etc... because he puts his name as an email address on any form he fills out that requires one:
George Carlyle
138 Miller St, Horseheads, NY, USA, 14845
DOB: 24/06/72

I log into every account I get for him and change his email address so I stop getting his spam, after I order some lady's lingerie to be sent to his address first, when possible.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Apparently some guy in Vermont with my name just bought a Dodge Charger R/T. I have the VIN and some pin # from the dealership.... what to do, what to do...

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I don't get anything, but my brother in law has a very common first and last name. He actually started talking with I think 3 of the people who share his name and will forward their stuff to them. The girlfriend of one of the guys sent him some naked pictures of herself last year. He even forwarded those to the guy.
Me, My dad and my uncle are the only <blanks> in the United States so I don't get anything exciting, I did change my phone number a while back and now constantly get calls for some guy named Jared or some doctors office in Sacramento(I think).

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I have a fairly rare real name, last time I googled it I found only four people who share it with me: A professor in Japan, a Norwegian heavy metal drummer, a German photographer and some Brit. So I have never received an e-mail not intended for me. Unless you count those penis enlargement e-mails. They are most defiantly not meant for me! lol

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some kid occasionally uses my e-mail when he signs up for tween-targeted apps, then posts a bunch of moronic swag-fag crap. I know this because take over each account and delete it. If he did it enough to actually piss me off, I would sabotage him thoroughly before deleting the account.

Maybe he's learning, because it hasn't happened lately. And my swag-speak is lagging behind now.

Szlia

I have a fairly rare real name, last time I googled it I found only four people who share it with me: A professor in Japan, a Norwegian heavy metal drummer, a German photographer and some Brit.
That sounds like thinly veiled challenge to earn a black belt in google-fu!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always get emails intended for some poor guy who doesn't have an abnormally large penis. I feel kind of embarrassed for him so I haven't tried to track him down.
Did you also get emails for not having appropriately large breasts as well?