Hugh Jackman: Logan

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Major spoilers and nerd stuff

When the right half of 24's head grows back doesn't that leave us right back where "Logan" was once he was freed from Weapon X? A lobotomized feral Wolverine that doesn't even know his own name, hanging out with Chocolate Thunder and the New MexiMutes, coming not soon enough. I half expected a post credits of him picking up Logan's dogtags.

Really dug how grandpa X's power gone wrong was to indiscriminately paralyze everyone around him until they asphyxiate instead of his incredibly complex time freeze plot-convenient trick. It was a raw, more realistic version of his power. And a really cool way for for a villain to use telepathy.

I assumed the Eden in the movie-comic was based on Prof X saving the mutants in Origins.

I do know that its been mentioned somewhere or another that coping with the adamantium slowed his healing power. Whether it stated to be the procedure itself or his body rejecting the metal I have no idea. Didn't his healing factor go to 9000 when Magneto rips it out of him?

If you want to bug the pedantic dorks, point out that all the test tube babies were X-23-number even though the designation is supposed to mean "23rd attempt at cloning Mutant #10." But changing the meaning is what disguises the X-24 reveal. (I had no idea - his hair style and mannerisms made him look so much like Sabertooth at first that I did a total wtf and thought it was Liev Schreiber)

Also, fuck brain disease. Edit Laura out and imagine what a depressing kick in the gut the movie becomes.

"Getting old sucks" was certainly a bold theme for an R-rated superhero tentpole flick.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Did anyone else notice the massive snot string hanging out of Laura's nose near the end of the movie? I think that bothered me more than anything else in the movie. Fortunately, it was gone in the next scene.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Saw it this weekend and this was definitely my favorite "superhero" movie, probably because it felt more "human" than most of the others. While I would leave a movie like Avengers and think "hey that was cool/fun", it would leave no lasting impression on me. This movie struck an emotional chord and had me thinking of the plot and characters long after I left the theater. That's the difference between an entertaining movie and one that entertains and moves you. The focus on three characters, and more specifically their humanity, really allowed for a depth of character other superhero movies couldn't approach. This movie made me "care" about Professor X more than all the X-Men's did combined.

Great flick, 9/10

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Major spoilers and nerd stuff

When the right half of 24's head grows back doesn't that leave us right back where "Logan" was once he was freed from Weapon X? A lobotomized feral Wolverine that doesn't even know his own name, hanging out with Chocolate Thunder and the New MexiMutes, coming not soon enough. I half expected a post credits of him picking up Logan's dogtags.

Really dug how grandpa X's power gone wrong was to indiscriminately paralyze everyone around him until they asphyxiate instead of his incredibly complex time freeze plot-convenient trick. It was a raw, more realistic version of his power. And a really cool way for for a villain to use telepathy.

I assumed the Eden in the movie-comic was based on Prof X saving the mutants in Origins.

I do know that its been mentioned somewhere or another that coping with the adamantium slowed his healing power. Whether it stated to be the procedure itself or his body rejecting the metal I have no idea. Didn't his healing factor go to 9000 when Magneto rips it out of him?

If you want to bug the pedantic dorks, point out that all the test tube babies were X-23-number even though the designation is supposed to mean "23rd attempt at cloning Mutant #10." But changing the meaning is what disguises the X-24 reveal. (I had no idea - his hair style and mannerisms made him look so much like Sabertooth at first that I did a total wtf and thought it was Liev Schreiber)

Also, fuck brain disease. Edit Laura out and imagine what a depressing kick in the gut the movie becomes.

"Getting old sucks" was certainly a bold theme for an R-rated superhero tentpole flick.
uh, I don't think 24 is coming back

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
uh, I don't think 24 is coming back

No but there was no reason shown why he couldn't. They didn't incinerate the body to the last molecule or dump it in the pond. Movie Wolverine lost most of his memories when shot in the brain with adamantium, but he still regenerated. Comic Wolverine can regen from like, leftover jizz on a tissue. Ruling on the field says 24 is on his feet again in a few hours, with the brain of a newborn.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Saw it this weekend and this was definitely my favorite "superhero" movie, probably because it felt more "human" than most of the others. While I would leave a movie like Avengers and think "hey that was cool/fun", it would leave no lasting impression on me. This movie struck an emotional chord and had me thinking of the plot and characters long after I left the theater. That's the difference between an entertaining movie and one that entertains and moves you. The focus on three characters, and more specifically their humanity, really allowed for a depth of character other superhero movies couldn't approach. This movie made me "care" about Professor X more than all the X-Men's did combined.

Great flick, 9/10

Funny, cause I can re-watch most of the MCU movies and enjoy them just as much the second+ times, but this one I'd probably get bored and fast forward through anything that isn't brutal adamantium death -- Despite thinking this was a fantastic movie (don't get cocky Fox, you still have a lot more proving-yourselves to do).

-edit- I guess I'm not addressing your *exact* point, but I'd rate a few of the MCU movies as emotionally powerful as this one, and I'd say most people are over-rating this one's emotional impact, misreading simple slow pace and "dark/depressing" theme. Really the only scene that was kinda sad for me was Wolvy dying, despite expecting to be moved by Prof's death, having known it was going to happen. But it just sort of... happened. And then they sort of ruined any impact it had by the funny car-smashing scene immediately afterward.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
No but there was no reason shown why he couldn't. They didn't incinerate the body to the last molecule or dump it in the pond. Movie Wolverine lost most of his memories when shot in the brain with adamantium, but he still regenerated. Comic Wolverine can regen from like, leftover jizz on a tissue. Ruling on the field says 24 is on his feet again in a few hours, with the brain of a newborn.

They made a point of talking about it early in the movie, that Logan has that adamantium bullet and keeps it as a way to take himself out someday. It just got used on x-24.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
They made a point of talking about it early in the movie, that Logan has that adamantium bullet and keeps it as a way to take himself out someday. It just got used on x-24.
Jumping into a discussion that I wasn't involved in, I understand what they said about the bullet being his suicide method, it just doesn't make any sense unless you suppose a few things that are nerdy as fuck and violate the context of the movie. And pretty much ruin the whole X-24 death scene if you think about it too much.

First, that the only way Logan theoretically kills himself with the bullet when he's had enough is that it punches through the one side of his skull he fires it at, but it loses enough momentum that it bounces off the other side and scrambles his brains, and the combination of the weakened healing factor and adamantium "poison" makes him unable to regenerate his brain. Second, that Wolverine: Origins not only never happened, but is actually impossible to ever happen. Since, you know, he got shot by an adamantium bullet and regenereated just fine except for his lost memories just like Kreugen described. And third, that X-24's healing factor is somehow based in his brain, since he doesn't even have adamantium in his skull, or adamantium poisoning, or weakened healing factor. Unless that bullet was somehow able to rip off half of an adamantium skull, that was just bone, and in his prime he heals that shit no problem, in minutes. Only downside being, again, loss of memory. (If that was an adamantium skull, well, fuck that, it makes even less sense.)

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Holy shit, didnt realize how bloody this movie was.

I've always hated the adamantium bullet shit and that ruined a big chunk of the ending for me. Still probably the best comic movie by fox though.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The "shot him in the head to erase his memory" plot device is pretty stupid. Prior to wolverine getting adamantium, how many times would he have gotten hit in the head, shot, or otherwise had his brain disturbed in the various wars/fights/injuries he's had? In the comics, did he constantly lose his memory even prior to the adamantium?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Such as the part in the same movie when he and Sabertooth were laughing at the idea of facing a firing squad?

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ugh, origins had a ton of potential, Schreiber was awesome as Sabretooth

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Such as the part in the same movie when he and Sabertooth were laughing at the idea of facing a firing squad?

For example, yes

Just stupid plot holes that they don't bother to address because ..... why

Xevy

Log Wizard
X24 didn't health like Logan did. That's why they had to juice and rest him. He's not regenerating half his head. He's dead.

Fadaar

That guy
Considering his already advanced age he must have been a quickly created clone with accelerated aging done at the expense of a highly active healing factor. Or something. I just decided to not think about it too hard.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, being a vat grown clone and not a test tube baby could explain it. But what I finally decided was similar to what one said - they gimped him on purpose to need the green jesus juice so if they lost control of him (again, duh!) he wouldn't be so goddamn OP that he winds up with seventeen concurrent comic book series and, despite being a loner, the leader of EVERY TEAM EVER, rite?

So yeah okay, he could have died. But I can also still imagine that mid credits Moby's Jason Bourne song started playing and it cut to a hairy hand picking up the dogtags and Jackedman stays in the role until he's old and pathetic like Roger Moore and Sean Connery.

EDIT: Read this later and realized that discarded edits turned the post into mush, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
And since I nitpicked, I do praise the hell out of the movie for avoiding a bunch of front-loaded exposition and instead answering the billion questions you have about htf everything went to shit slowly throughout the film - often with single lines of dialog.

My sister (never read a comic) even asked me if the "Westchester incident" = X-School. I had to google that shit to be sure.

It's not quite The Road with "one day, shit all died, but nevermind that" but it sure seems that way for a good chunk of the film.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Most movies, especially this genre, lack the balls to let people fill in the gaps with their own imagination on stuff. This movie did that and was better for it.

• 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
WOLVERINE EPISODE XVIII: LOGAN

IT IS A TIME OF... YOU KNOW WHAT,
FUCK IT. HERE'S PEOPLE GETTING
STABBED IN THE HEAD. A LOT OF
THEM. I MEAN LIKE, 30 GODDAMN
PEOPLE.

CHECK OUT THIS KID WITH FOOT
DAGGERS. YOU KNOW DEADPOOL