Human Head Transplants Are A'Comin...

tad10

Elisha Dushku
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...ecome-reality/

In the journal Surgical Neurology International, Canavero outlined a procedure for taking the head of one person and transplanting it onto the body of another. It involves inducing hypothermia and cutting the spinal cord with an ?ultra-sharp blade? so it can be fused with the donor?s spinal cord.

?This is, of course, totally different from what happens in clinical spinal cord injury, where gross damage and scarring hinder regeneration,? Canavero wrote.

He outlined a hypothetical scenario in which the body donor is a brain dead patient. He said the recipient could be anyone dying of cancer or anything else that leaves the brain intact.

For the head transplant to work, two surgeries would have to take place in the same operating room in which both spinal cords would be severed simultaneously but only after all other cuts had been made. Then, the donor body?s spinal cord would be ?chemofused? to the recipient head?s spinal cord using a substance called polyethylene glycol, or PEG.
Futurama called it...

Not far from head transplants to heads-in-jar...

rrr_img_34151.jpg

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
So all those people who only had enough money and vanity to freeze only their own head finally have real hope now?

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
If i get a black body do I qualify for affirmative action and using the n-word? or does the head alone determine ethnicity? If a male tranny has his head put on a chick's body is he still a tranny or is he/she cis now? We've gotta come up with some guidelines for the classification of this shit. =P

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If i get a black body do I qualify for affirmative action and using the n-word? or does the head alone determine ethnicity? If a male tranny has his head put on a chick's body is he still a tranny or is he/she cis now? We've gotta come up with some guidelines for the classification of this shit. =P
We already have face transplants. So you can get one to match your new body.

If you've got the money...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i want my head transplanted onto jessica alba's snatch so i may feast with the gods for an eternity!

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Alright y'all, enough's enough. At this point you're clowning me. I know I'm in the Matrix. Jokes over, ha ha. Can I fucking leave already?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just noticed where your sig links to Himeo - is that from today's drama or it been like that?

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean really, what are the chances that the nerves are going to fuse correctly? It's kind of important that they do that. That spinal cord is nothing but one giant tangle of nervous fiber and tissues. Even with magical nanosurgery, it's not like these things come with labels.

You'd piss yourself trying to rotate your wrist, assuming that you could breathe. And who has any idea if your heart would even work. Who knows if a brain past a certain stage of development is even capable of that sort of elasticity?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I mean really, what are the chances that the nerves are going to fuse correctly? It's kind of important that they do that. That spinal cord is nothing but one giant tangle of nervous fiber and tissues. Even with magical nanosurgery, it's not like these things come with labels.

You'd piss yourself trying to rotate your wrist, assuming that you could breathe. And who has any idea if your heart would even work. Who knows if a brain past a certain stage of development is even capable of that sort of elasticity?
that was my thought. 'chemofused' and 'ultra sharp knife' sound like "technology not invented yet".

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Or you can just read the fuckin' article which tells you there's absolutely no basis in science for this
tongue.png
We've never ever, not once, not in our wildest dreams ever reconnected a severed spinal column. Not even in so much as a raccoon or squirrel.

And that's the relatively easy part.

Needs to be tested on rats first.

And rabbits. Fuck rabbits.
The beagles will be first. They're always first. They give you that loving look and lick you even after you shock their testicles and kill their brothers and sisters.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh, it's insanity but it's not delusion. I think the problem is that no human surgeon is going to be able to do it. At best they're going to be able to plan and oversee it. The scale is too small, the tissue is both too specific and too delicate, and the scope is too large.

But if you can find a practical way to keep the tissue alive and if you can find a method which catalyzes axon regrowth and synapse formation under the conditions which you have to work in to prevent death -- that's a good first step to AutoDoc3000.

It's kind of insane, but most good science is at least kind of insane.