Hunting Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
007+2.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So blizzak blizzak fired defensively at a ferret. Would you like an adult to go hunting with you next time?

j/k of course, wiki says males can be 3-4 feet long, even if they don't get super heavy.

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
lol. I didn't want to shoot. Ruined my morning hunt. He was a cheeky little fucker who didn't seem to notice I outweigh him by 60 angry furballs.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
A friend of mine was deer hunting in knee deep swampy water. Saw something following him around making a trail in the water. Eventually it got too close and he fired his 30-30 into the water. Turned out to be a river otter. Could have definitely hurt him had it bit.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Saw several doe last night while waiting for a 10 point to never show. Out here again today and haven’t seen a thing. From last night:

08E7A087-4B5E-4928-B08C-6F56965BB6C6.jpeg

C723EBC0-6351-44D0-9E4F-F8E42DD550FF.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So blizzak blizzak fired defensively at a ferret. Would you like an adult to go hunting with you next time?

j/k of course, wiki says males can be 3-4 feet long, even if they don't get super heavy.

Those weasels or whatever can fuck you up.

Fucking river otter could kill you on land, in water . . . shit, GL.

Should be hunting in about a week. Will be killing for meat.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I let the automatic pop up turrets around the property take care of them if they venture out of the woods towards the house.

• 1Worf

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
It looks like my my new hunting vest will finally be here next week and I'm going hunting to test it out no matter what. Ordered in September, waited until December (well past when I'd usually be out), expensive and hopefully worth it. I hate buying shit products and I'm happy to pay if it fills my expectations.

Upsides... I'll be alone with my dog in the woods for 5 days. There should be a good cover of snow. Literally my favorite time to be in the deep woods and I need the exercise. The grouse should have had no pressure for a few weeks so they should sit a bit tighter.

This will also fulfill one of my goals this year, to get at least 15 days of bird hunting in. After this I need to redefine my goals for next year. It's going to be a tumultuous year for my family but I'm setting a 30 day fall goal for birds and seriously going to consider adding deer back in.

Lastly, i know this is a bit blogish, I'm going to try to get my youngest son going out with me. That isn't going to be easy, he's full of inertia.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
A friend of mine was deer hunting in knee deep swampy water. Saw something following him around making a trail in the water. Eventually it got too close and he fired his 30-30 into the water. Turned out to be a river otter. Could have definitely hurt him had it bit.

Does your friend look anything like a baby seal? Otters will rape baby seals to death.

• 1Solidarity

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Finally took a buck this weekend. Last three years I've taken a buck in the exact same patch of woods up near the Red River, all within a couple hundred yards of each other. What sucks about it is public land with heavy pressure so I have to go about 1.5 miles deep on foot to get one. I butcher it on site, put in game bags and pack it out. Takes two trips in and out. Weighed my coolers last night and had 89 lbs of meat. That's hard on my 48 year old knees. I start the season sitting in an easy ground blind at another location and when that fails I make trip to what I call the "Magic Kingdom".

Anyway, this year I took a young boy that probably needed a couple more years. He was crashing through some brush and I was able to flank him where he came out. I thought he was a spike buck and only had about 2 seconds to take the shot. After a long season of not taking questionable shots I didn't hesitate this time. .50 caliber black powder load through both lungs. He had enough in him to run for another 100 yds or so but left a huge blood trail and was expired by the time I got there. I said a prayer of thanks to his spirit and got to work.

Now that the freezer is full, I can relax a bit more on the weekends and go chase crappie in some local creeks.
IMG_20211205_092727709.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I butcher it on site, put in game bags and pack it out.

How do you butcher it? Do you carry a gambrel into the woods and look for a tree branch at just the right height, or do you do it on the ground? My dad always used to gut the deer in the woods and he'd do it on the ground. He'd find a couple rocks or branches to prop it up a few inches but that's it. It would suck doing that work leaning over.

Do you keep the hide on when you butcher it in the field?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
How do you butcher it? Do you carry a gambrel into the woods and look for a tree branch at just the right height, or do you do it on the ground? My dad always used to gut the deer in the woods and he'd do it on the ground. He'd find a couple rocks or branches to prop it up a few inches but that's it. It would suck doing that work leaning over.

Do you keep the hide on when you butcher it in the field?
I toss the hide,too much weight.

Butcher on the ground, on a tarp. I will tie the legs to a couple trees to keep them splayed out. Gut it first then work the hide off down to its back which is on the ground. I keep the liver and heart for the dogs and catfish bait. Then I'll Take the tenderloins out and flanks. After that I'll skin the hindquarters, cut the hooves off at the knee and remove them from the carcass. Once that's done I flip it over take the rest of the hide from the torso and take the backstraps. Backstrap, two hindquarters, and liver is a pretty full pack so I'll take that in at that point. Once I get back I cut off the front shoulders, removing the hooves again, and get all the neck meat for burger/sausage. Go over everything again for any trimmings I missed then take the head/antlers.

First couple times I field butchered I made a mess and wasted some meat but with the disposable razor blades and a bone saw I can make pretty quick work of it now. I also process everything at home as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I toss the hide,too much weight.

Butcher on the ground, on a tarp. I will tie the legs to a couple trees to keep them splayed out. Gut it first then work the hide off down to its back which is on the ground. I keep the liver and heart for the dogs and catfish bait. Then I'll Take the tenderloins out and flanks. After that I'll skin the hindquarters, cut the hooves off at the knee and remove them from the carcass. Once that's done I flip it over take the rest of the hide from the torso and take the backstraps. Backstrap, two hindquarters, and liver is a pretty full pack so I'll take that in at that point. Once I get back I cut off the front shoulders, removing the hooves again, and get all the neck meat for burger/sausage. Go over everything again for any trimmings I missed then take the head/antlers.

First couple times I field butchered I made a mess and wasted some meat but with the disposable razor blades and a bone saw I can make pretty quick work of it now. I also process everything at home as well.

The people I've seen keep the hide say it's to protect the meat till they get it back home. I always thought it would mean more hair to have to wash off.

Have you ever come back for the second trip to find scavengers already eating the rest? I'm guessing that's why you take the best stuff first.

Last edited:

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
The people I've seen keep the hide say it's to protect the meat till they get it back home. I always thought it would mean more hair to have to wash off.

Have you ever come back for the second trip to find scavengers already eating the rest? I'm guessing that's why you take the best stuff first.
Never ran into any scavengers. Ya I try to get all the hair as far away from the meat as quickly as I can. Picking off fur when you're processing the meat sucks ass.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Rifle season ended here a week or so ago. I've been very much enjoying my phone not ringing all the time and there not always being people in my yard looking for permission to hunt. Montana is having it's first ever muzzle loader season next week and I actually have one guy coming to hunt. Kind of interesting.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Rifle season ended here a week or so ago. I've been very much enjoying my phone not ringing all the time and there not always being people in my yard looking for permission to hunt. Montana is having it's first ever muzzle loader season next week and I actually have one guy coming to hunt. Kind of interesting.
Are they allowing the modern muzzle loaders or doing like Idaho and only allowing the old ones?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Are they allowing the modern muzzle loaders or doing like Idaho and only allowing the old ones?

I think modern ones are allowed. These are the rules. Might mean more to you than they do to me.

• A person may take a deer or elk with a license or permit that is valid on the last day of the general hunting season.
  • Hunters can use plain lead projectiles and a muzzleloading rifle that is charged with loose black powder, loose pyrodex or an equivalent loose black powder substitute and ignited by a flintlock, wheel lock, matchlock or percussion mechanism using a percussion or musket cap.
  • The muzzleloading rifle must be a minimum of .45 caliber and may not have more than two barrels.
  • During the muzzleloader heritage season, hunters may not use a muzzleloading rifle that requires insertion of a cap or primer into the open breech of the barrel (inline), is capable of being loaded from the breech, or is mounted with an optical magnification device.
  • Use of preprepared paper or metallic cartridges, sabots, gas checks or other similar power and range-enhancing manufactured loads that enclose the projectile from the rifling or bore of the firearm is also prohibited.

People taking any bears on your land?

We don't really have a population of bears here, they just pass through from time to time. We did have one neighbor who got one with a bow a few years ago and I know a couple of others that have been taken not so legally but people don't really come here looking for bears because there aren't many of them. My neighbor buys a tag every year but hasn't managed to get one yet. Hunters got two mountain lions last winter as well but they are sort of the same. They come through sometimes but there's not really a population.

• 1Like