I am now officially accepting Christmas presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Chances that anyone else where Mist works tells it that same way?

The entire tale of the life of Mist would make complete sense ..... if it was all happening in Mumbai.
Spot on. This place is a lot like HCL except we speak English and actually fix things, have field logistics, etc.

And we're growing in the direction of becoming even more like a generic IT managed services provider like HCL.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
yeah that's the problem here. Mist essentially paints the picture that this company she works for her is treating a lesbian with a stuttering disability as a slave labor which is no way consistent with how corporate America works.

if half the shit is true that she claims she would have an easy workplace discrimination suit on her hands.
Can't claim discrimination if they treat EVERYONE like shit. And they do. Especially the < two dozen people who work second and third shift combined. Since 99.9% of the 1400 company goes home at 5pm, absolutely none of the written policies (which aren't consistent to begin with) and especially with regards to holidays and pay apply to us.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
lol now payroll is saying I don't get double-time and a half for working 16 hours on Christmas because the company observes Christmas on the Monday. They're saying its straight time, along with the 12 hours I worked on Christmas Eve, of which at least 4 of which was promised to me as double-time and a half as well.

That's perfectly normal. Companies can't give holiday pay on whatever day you decide to observe the holiday. They pick a day and everyone has to roll with it. It sucks, but the only thing you can do it learn and tell them no next year.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The thing its, for 99.9% of the company, it's not a 24 hour operation. Only a handful of people in the company are even capable of fulfilling the job roles for 24 hour operation. Because of this, people from my team had to work both on the actual holiday, and on the observed holiday, because no one else can. Also, we were told we were getting paid for it, we were told how to mark it on our time sheet, our time sheets were signed by our supervisors and our manager, and they better fucking pay us.

• 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The thing its, for 99.9% of the company, it's not a 24 hour operation. Only a handful of people in the company are even capable of fulfilling the job roles for 24 hour operation. Because of this, people from my team had to work both on the actual holiday, and on the observed holiday, because no one else can. Also, we were told we were getting paid for it, we were told how to mark it on our time sheet, our time sheets were signed by our supervisors and our manager, and they better fucking pay us.

Find another job. What other life problems do you want us to solve for you?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Mist, no. You're job is not complicated, very few are and people cam be trained and replaced. You aren't fucking special or better than anyone. They probably chose to do jack shit since you'll do it while they fick around all day.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They don't train anyone here. Everyone who works during the day has effectively one job. On higher tier teams, they support one specific product. The few people who work nights have to do every job, and also IT disaster recovery and logistics stuff that just doesn't come up normally, along with intermediate troubleshooting for every product we sell service contracts for.

It's actually fun watching people who are used to working days shifts try to cover available holiday shifts. When shit breaks they're like 'oh, I'll just transfer this to... oh shit WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW.'

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, but Christmas wasn't on monday...
Yes, exactly. I'd be fine with them paying me double-time and a half on the actual day and not the bullshit observed day, because I had to work 16 hours on the actual Christmas day and only 8 on the observed day.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Can't claim discrimination if they treat EVERYONE like shit. And they do. Especially the < two dozen people who work second and third shift combined. Since 99.9% of the 1400 company goes home at 5pm, absolutely none of the written policies (which aren't consistent to begin with) and especially with regards to holidays and pay apply to us.
OK so get a new job. I'm moving back into center city Philly in a few months, let's split an apartment. I can easily get you a call center job around here.

• 1Haram

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, but can you get me a call center job where I fix the servers that run other call centers?!?

This job is the perfect meta-hell.

• 1Picard

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
OK so get a new job. I'm moving back into center city Philly in a few months, let's split an apartment. I can easily get you a call center job around here.
Put on a 24/7 webcam, and I'm sure you'd easily get your rent paid for by viewers

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I really think Mist Mist should become a full blown Buddhist. It really can change the thought patterns of miserable people. It helps you understand that all existence is at it's core endless suffering. If you follow the eight fold path some of that suffering can be lessened. Mist needs to go whole hog, maybe even become a Monk.

And then confront injustice and light herself on fire.

1963001.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

iannis

Musty Nester
Seriously mist, if it's even partially as bad as you're saying... take the thirty minute commute. This place is a shitshow if they can't handle payroll.

There are yellow flags and there are red flags. Fucking with job responsibilities and shifts is a yellow. Fucking with pay and bonuses is a red.

Not everywhere is going to be like this. I'm sure the other places also know what a shitshow this one is.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
The next one is -- they're going to fire you and forget to mention it until you go to pick up your check.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, but Christmas wasn't on monday...

So you then don't get any day off because its on a weekend right? No, you are going to want a day right? Yeah.

So the corporate calendar and how things work revolved around business days - they do not include sat/sun - so weekend workers and night shifts etc. are all unique examples and exceptions etc.

If a holiday falls on sat - you take that Friday before - if its on Sunday you take the following Monday.

How does double time work on holidays? well you take your standard OT time, where in general you have to be over 40 hours for that PAYPERIOD (this can vary, such as Mon-Sun, or Sun-Sat etc. etc.) so once you hit 40 hours your earning OT for whatever that rate is 2x or 1.5x etc. and THEN you just naturally get PAID for that off holiday-day (in this case Monday)

So, during that week where MONDAY is your "Day off" - your getting 8 hours of "work time" straight 1x hours added to your week, if you then work 4 more normal days @ 8 hours your at 40, yay... now if you work that day you are "off" it makes it 8 hours as OT on a week where you worked 5 days, as per "normal" - so for that day you are getting 8hrs normal and 8hrs OT thus the "double OT" idea

Still sounds like where you work sucks, but if they are giving you that extra job duties etc. do it well, and find a job that is higher that you can use those skills and exp in.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Still sounds like where you work sucks, but if they are giving you that extra job duties etc. do it well, and find a job that is higher that you can use those skills and exp in.
I already got offered a job as a Microsoft solutions architect in another arm of the company, but my boss won't release me from my position, stating that there is a "two year commitment" to the second and third shift teams when hired, followed by a back-fill period of 4-8 months while they search for a replacement. I confirmed with HR that I never signed anything to that effect, and that they've never even heard of such a thing. My boss replied with "well, it's, for lack of a better term, a gentleman's agreement" to which I literally facepalmed and told him that's the worst possible thing he could have said.

Annual review/salary re-negotiation is sometime this month, although it was supposed to be sometime last month, they're just stalling at this point.

• 1Salty

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You sound like a weak willed pussy. Either stand up for yourself and do something about it or get fucked. No reason anyone should pity or give a fuck about someone who wont help themselves. You deserve to be treated like shit, If I was in charge I wouldn't promote fucking failures who cry instead of work.

• 1Solidarity
Status
Not open for further replies.