I do not believe in equality

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You don't know why? Growing up in shitty neighborhoods (high crime high drug use) that provide dim outlooks on life coupled with a high probability of being in a dysfunctional family is going to put you at a disadvantage.

Plus being black is harder compared to being white with equal upbringing.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Everyone has equal opportunity. It's just the reality of it. Not everyone takes advantage of it of course and for a myriad of reasons. You can call it bootstrapping or you can call it just giving a shit about where you end up in life I don't care, but there is a point where you have to decide that you are going to make something of yourself. If you don't it's not because you didn't have the opportunity, it's not because your parents didn't give a shit, it's because of you ignoring your opportunities.

If one person with a similar upbringing has made it in life despite all the same odds stacked against you it completely invalidates the "lack of opportunity" excuse.
Big part of growing up and making something of your life is tied to parents giving a shit. You are more likely to succeed if you have parents who give a shit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Also honestly I take offense at you saying my children are born "behind". Fuck you, degrading their position in life because of the color of their skin.
Honestly being black seems to helps then socially, trust me all your white kids want to be friends with my black kids. Also people go out of their way to kinda kiss their asses and be overly nice because they don't want to be perceived as racist. It's kinda funny how well they get treated. Not fair, but well treated in a positive way.
My statement was statistical, not personal. Don't take it any other way.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Big part of growing up and making something of your life is tied to parents giving a shit. You are more likely to succeed if you have parents who give a shit.
Leon Leonwood Bean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little Orphan Annie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All rich despite being orphans and that took 10 seconds to google and paste.

I did not stutter, if one person with a similar upbringing has made it in life despite all the same odds stacked against you it completely invalidates the "lack of opportunity" excuse.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I don't think it is a chicken of egg problem, because if you go back far enough you start getting into tangential, abstract shit.How does the plight of 400+ years of slavery impact black americans today?Depends on who you ask, I guess, but when you're getting that far back you kind of have to just stop giving a shit about the root cause of it all. Doesn't matter who is to blame, just fix the fucking thing. Right now, I am sure the shitty community and the shitty school work hand in hand to produce shitty humans.
Since we're going back to the 1600s, you know that many people who aren't black have ancestors who were part of slave and serf and caste systems, right?

edit: I think I misunderstood your quote at first. Sorry for any attitude. I just don't buy that the fix is related to offsetting the supposed historical trauma of slavery.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Since we're going back to the 1600s, you know that many people who aren't black have ancestors who were part of slave and serf and caste systems, right?
You don't even need to go back in time. Just look at the H1B visa program and some of the serfs that have gotten into that and made themselves a lot of money compared to their normal life.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Leon Leonwood Bean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little Orphan Annie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All rich despite being orphans and that took 10 seconds to google and paste.

I did not stutter, if one person with a similar upbringing has made it in life despite all the same odds stacked against you it completely invalidates the "lack of opportunity" excuse.
Oh good. You found a few examples out of millions. I'm sure they are representative of the whole population.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
You don't even need to go back in time. Just look at the H1B visa program and some of the serfs that have gotten into that and made themselves a lot of money compared to their normal life.
No better way to prove my original statement. Immigration into the US should be only letting in people who improve us. We are the brain drain and it's what makes us great. It is also proof that we are not equal.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I thought long and hard about finding as many links as possible to support my argument. Honestly though, no. This is a fairly simple conclusion and I will relate the basics.

1. Somebody warped the term equality. We are not equal and nothing in nature or reality proves this. In fact nature and reality work in opposition of equality.
2. This is not about race or gender. If anything the greatest thing we ever did was convert from race and gender being markers of ability and potential to money being the marker of success.
3. Equality of opportunity was the most ideal thing we could have driven for based on the intents of the founding fathers.
4. Most of the social unrest we have now comes from undefined social caste and forced attempts at equality that are really pushes for personal power based on identity politics.

Anyways refute my points. I personally think you cannot.
1. Literal equality does not exist. Some of us figure this out by high school and adjust. Figurative equality, however, Golden Rule stuff, is the socially useful thing to take from the philosophy.
2. If you started looking for objective measures of superiority/inequality in genes, you will find them. But they don't preclude the Golden Rule stuff.
3. People are born into all sorts of situations. And people rise and fall from all sorts of situations. Good luck figuring out the intentions of the founding fathers. They might as well be part of the Greek Pantheon, now.
4. Most of the social unrest we have now comes from the signifying monkey that is the media and from people living too close together.

Your argument is coming from your literal understanding.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No better way to prove my original statement. Immigration into the US should be only letting in people who improve us. We are the brain drain and it's what makes us great. It is also proof that we are not equal.
Lots of people in the tech industry have said H1B visas are not going to the best and brightest. They're going to people strictly because they will work for less than qualified American citizens.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Lots of people in the tech industry have said H1B visas are not going to the best and brightest. They're going to people strictly because they will work for less than qualified American citizens.
I was talking about the stated intent behind our immigration programs. Not the inefficiency and abuse.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh good. You found a few examples out of millions. I'm sure they are representative of the whole population.
That's the point. It is possible but it takes a person that cares and puts effort into their own life. Nobody gave you a blog empire, you forged it yourself.

If there wasn't equality it wouldn't even be possible for these people to break free of their chains and make it in life. I just linked ones that are famous with a huge amount of assets. I only listed orphans also. Worst case scenario people here and they still made something of themselves.

Mist over here could have jobs and money thrown at her but life is unfair so she won't even try to better herself. Play that victim card and make just enough to be able to afford gaming computers, high speed internet, and fattening foods.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

edit: I think I misunderstood your quote at first. Sorry for any attitude. I just don't buy that the fix is related to offsetting the supposed historical trauma of slavery.
I don't either. I also don't think it's really debatable that slavery and the discrimination that followed really set black americans up on the wrong foot. I just don't think the cause really matters. We are where we are, so rather than looking for root causes decades or centuries ago, maybe we should just focus on proactive measures.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist over here could have jobs and money thrown at her but life is unfair so she won't even try to better herself. Play that victim card and make just enough to be able to afford gaming computers, high speed internet, and fattening foods.
Dude, it's not like I don't apply for jobs. I apply for tons of jobs. My resume has been reviewed plenty of times by professionals. Almost never hear anything back. Best case scenario is that 5 months later I get letters saying "you were not selected as one of the finalists."

This place got my resume at 8am and effectively hired me by that afternoon.

I do have a nice gaming PC because I aggressively sell off my old PCs and parts. My dinner is usually a yogurt, if my job even gives me a break long enough to eat one.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Move anywhere else where the cost of living is a tenth. Don't even move furniture just burn the trailer down. Take your clothes and go.

You "can't" though and you aren't the only one. I have a sister who just went through a divorce in CA and wondering why she can't afford living there any more on a secretary salary. Move I tell her, but her friends are there ...

She, you, other people would rather lament their plight than make a hard choice.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Move anywhere else where the cost of living is a tenth. Don't even move furniture just burn the trailer down. Take your clothes and go.

You "can't" though and you aren't the only one. I have a sister who just went through a divorce in CA and wondering why she can't afford living there any more on a secretary salary. Move I tell her, but her friends are there ...

She, you, other people would rather lament their plight than make a hard choice.
Move and magically hope there's jobs somewhere else?

At least I've got the best kind of job security; nobody wants this job, and half the people they hire can't do it, and most of ones that can won't do it for longer than 6 months.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sure move without a job or GASP apply before leaving. You aren't looking in other cities, states, or countries though.

It will be better than what you have going on. I am trying to not just be talking directly to you but slight generalities. People never leave their 10 mile radius and complain it's their environment holding them down. Leave.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Sure move without a job or GASP apply before leaving. You aren't looking in other cities, states, or countries though.

It will be better than what you have going on. I am trying to not just be talking directly to you but slight generalities. People never leave their 10 mile radius and complain it's their environment holding them down. Leave.
Get a better job!

"I can't because...."

Move somewhere with a lower cost of living!

"I can't because...."

Ditch your deadweight parents who are costing you time and money and emotional stability!

"I can't because...."

Yes you fucking can. You don't want to. Or you're a pussy. But you can. Millions before you did. Millions will after you. If you're too much of a pussy to go out and make something of yourself, then sit comfortably in the little life you manage to eke out and shut the fuck up.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
In addition, it's a world of difference for a teacher to be able to say "I'm going to talk to your parents"--and that warning be actually real, because the teacher or principle will actually get a hold of a parent, rather than a teacher not even bothering because the only parent at home is either over worked, and exhausted and does not give a fuck (And maybe even resents the kid) or is out being worse than the kid they are supposed to be caring for.
I think I've mentioned this before, but I've actually heard kids say that their parents thought that the classes they were taking were a waste of time.

Of my parents/step-parents, only my mother ever took any college courses, and I think she dropped out after 1 semester. All my parents worked for essentially the same company for 30-40 years each. More or less blue-collar union positions. And to this day they're very much like my grandparents in thinking that only a tiny minority of people should attempt college and that unless you're going to school to be a doctor or a lawyer, that you should go get a factory job and punch your time card every day. Of course these are the same people who, after working 40 years for the same company, can't seem to wrap their heads around the notion that people don't walk down the street looking for work anymore and if people are out of work, then it's because they just don't want to work (this was a fun topic during the housing crash).

I still remember my stepfather telling me in like the 8th or 9th grade that because my grades weren't good that they weren't going to try helping me with college and that as soon as High School was over, I was going to have to move out immediately. It wasn't a surprise at all...I mean, you pick up on how things work at an early age. I probably knew which way things were going to fall many years before that, but that was probably the first time it had been succinctly worded as such. I remember thinking to myself that there was no point in trying for college at all, because I wouldn't be able to even attempt it without support from my family, and like many I had no idea how financial aid worked. Not a single person from my school ever even talked to me about it, likely because my GPA wasn't 3.0 or above. I think I probably thought that college was out of my grasp well before I even hit High School.

But anyways, my family always pushed me towards blue-collar work without getting an education in part because that's all they knew. My family was also really strange in that there was never any encouragement, only threats. There was never any active participation on the part of my parents, other than a paddling when I had to bring grades home. Their involvement stopped at"Do you have any homework?"followed by either "no" or "I already did it", and they were satisfied hearing either. They were infinitely more interested in us kids not getting into any trouble and taking care of the livestock/house/outside work so that they didn't have to. We almost never saw our mother for decades because she worked 3rd shift, and we avoided our stepfather out of self preservation. In public it was all a sham...they didn't want the kids to embarrass them, because they worried what people would think...so in that vein, I guess they cared about the kids. But in private, the interest in the affairs of the children vanished. Publicly, I guess it worked, because I will occasionally run into people who think that our family had their shit together, but my sisters and I will exchange glances if we're together and hear people gush about how great our parents were.

But when I heard kids say that their parents told them that their classes were a waste of time...that their classes wouldn't be useful...I mean, it clicked with me. I don't think my parents ever said that verbatim, but you pick up so much without the words ever being said that they may as well have told me that when I was growing up. And it just makes me shake my head when I hear kids growing up with their parents more or less steering them away from an education. It just pisses me off that so many parents can't seem to be bothered by their kids, have no interest in their education, and the kids have to spend so many years just trying to get through school so that they can move out and get away from their shitty life at home.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I find it ironic that mists thrifty eating habits will only prolong the misery of her life.