I lost my pet today and I’m really sad

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Welp, boys, yesterday I lost my second family dog of 12 years, the first of which left us last May. This one was a husky/german shepherd cross of some sort, my ex-wife's best friend of her life.

And, in a massive cosmic twist of cruelty, it happened during my boy's birthday. Dropped dead of a probable heart attack, thankfully outside. The ex was with him as he passed.

Man, it's never easy, to say the least, but this was brutal. I got my boy through it all, we ended up crying and then laughing at some of this dog's best past retarded exploits, but my ex is almost inconsolable. Her boyfriend is going to have a hard time with her for the next week or so, whooeee.

I will miss you two.

1614017904572.png

I'm not crying, you are cryi.....yeah I am totally crying.

• 6Solidarity
  • 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 8 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I lost one of my Basenjis today when she was able to push open and get out the front door. She ran out into traffic and that was it. I let down my guard one time in 9 years and I lost my best friend. A 5 second mistake from all the stress in life causing a rough morning has led to a day of tears and massive feelings of guilt.

Basenjis tend to be aloof and uninterested in strangers, but can be affectionate with their family. In particular, they bond VERY strongly with 1 or 2 people. I became her human. 90% of all the photos I have of her is her being next to me because being with me is the only thing she's ever wanted.

Another thing that sucks is my younger son started taking a liking to her, and she was slowly warming up to him also. He cried for an hour after we sat down with him when he got off the bus, but he's taking it a lot better than I am.

I wish I could describe how much this dog adored me. She would have run through Hell and back just to be by my side. I lost her too soon, and I don't know if I will ever find another pet as sweet as she was for the rest of my days.

IMG_20220605_095653.jpg
IMG_20230905_184530.jpg

• 8Solidarity
  • 4Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Like
Reactions: 13 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
1704780578945.png

I spent a car on this stubborn bastard. Would do it again. Dumbest dog I've ever owned. He was also incredibly friendly. My vet cried to me when she learned he died. She called him the friendliest shep she ever met. I spent a stupid amount of time at the park with him.

• 10Solidarity
  • 4Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Like
Reactions: 15 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The only thing that makes losing pets kinda manageable is the fact that we can just get another one. It's not the same, and never will be, but you can get moments like this. Zelda on top and the new youngster on the bottom.

20141030_131503.jpg

IMG_20240109_080934.jpg

Aka - how to lose your shit at work on a Monday when your GF sends you a pic of the new dog doing the same shit you fondly remember the old one doing.

• 13Solidarity
  • 8Like
Reactions: 20 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Since this thread is bumped I'll throw my story in there. When my cowdog was getting close to 10 years old I decided I'd better get a second dog to learn from him before he started to go downhill due to age. I got a female so they wouldn't fight. She was a whole new learning curve for me because even though she grew up working cows with my old dog, she had a completely different style and approach to it which I didn't like at first but really came to appreciate.

5 years later my old dog mostly just sleeps and couldn't chase a cow if his life depended on it but as far as I can tell still has a relatively happy life and he can still make it up the stairs on the deck. The young dog had some issues learning to work cattle by herself since she had always followed the old dog's lead and was lost without him at first but she had really started to come into her own this year. So a couple of weeks ago I was going out to the hills to work on some pipeline and stopped at my Mom's house to get some tools. The dog was obsessed with my Mom's chickens in a way that only a border collie can be so I let her go down to the chickens while I gathered things up but then I forgot to call her before I left. I got out there and realized I forgot her but I wasn't worried. She spends tons of time in Mom's yard and knows how to stay out of trouble.

When I got back it was just dusk and I whistled at Mom's but she didn't come. Still wasn't worried because she usually goes home when it gets dark (my house is a quarter mile away). I drove over to my house and noticed a big spot in the middle of the road that sort of looked red in the headlights but it barely registered. When I got to my house and she wasn't there I started to get worried and went back to the spot in the road. On a closer look it was a pool of blood almost 2 feet in diameter. I pretty much knew the source then. Didn't take long looking around in the ditch with a flashlight to find her. Stiff as a board so she must have been there for a while. We've been having a lot of log trucks driving through the neighborhood and I imagine it was one of them that ran her over but I don't really know.

So now it's just me and the old man. I know his days are numbered and I had been preparing myself to lose him but certainly didn't expect to lose the other one. For the first time in 15 years I'm having to move cows with no dog and it sucks. I'll probably look for a new pup in the spring but he'll be starting from nothing with no chance to learn from my other dogs. Back to square 1.

PXL_20230506_193023157~2.jpg

• 9Solidarity
  • 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 11 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I lost one of my Basenjis today when she was able to push open and get out the front door. She ran out into traffic and that was it. I let down my guard one time in 9 years and I lost my best friend. A 5 second mistake from all the stress in life causing a rough morning has led to a day of tears and massive feelings of guilt.

I had a basenji once named Q-tip. Hard headedest fucking dog I've ever seen. He grew up with my shepherd and when she died, he suddenly got very close to me. Like his goal in life was to have as much skin contact with me as possible at all times. I let him sleep on the bed and he'd run me off the bed because every time I moved during the night he'd push up on me and I'd move the other direction. The fucker would purposely shit in the house to punish me. Anyway, after the shepherd died, he started escaping my yard. I had range fencing, which is a wire fence where the holes get bigger up higher. This bastard figured out he could climb up about 4 levels and get out easily. Then he went on a diet so he could slip through at a lower level. One day the dog catchers finally caught up with him and he went to the hooskow. When I picked him up they told me they'd been after him for months, but he always gave them the slip. They also told me he was lucky he'd never been flattened because he often darted across the highway with reckless abandon. I was like, bullshit, he's always been in the yard when I got home. Once they knew where I lived, I started getting notices on my door constantly saying my dog was out, but he was always there. Eventually I talked to them again and they said when they were chasing him, he would hit the fence at a dead run, make a little jump and slide right though the fencing about 3 levels up from the ground. So I had to start chaining him up and that was ugly. He did not like that.

Then I got another puppy named blackjack who was half fox terrier and half patterdale terrier. I figured Q-tip was getting out because he was lonely. Once the new pup was old enough, I'd chain them both up outside and when I got home I always found their chains wrapped around each other because they'd been playing all day. After a few days of this I decided I needed to get a kennel on saturday, but in the meantime I shortened their chains to try to keep them from getting wrapped up. Got home that night and blackjack had wrapped his chain around the q-tip's neck and broke his neck. So yeah, talk about feeling guilt for one fucking mistake. After all those close calls that I didn't even know about for months on end.

Fucking basenji's are probably the smartest dog breed out there, but they're so hard headed you can't really train them. You just sort of come to an agreement with them. The best line I ever heard about them was that you don't train them, you have to convince them that they want to do the thing you want them to do. But you said you have multiple basenji's so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Losing a pet is rough, but as a pet owner you have to come to terms with the fact that you're going to bury them. The joy they give when they're with you outweighs the sadness when you lose them. Wife and I keep a pack of 3-5 dogs at all times. We're down to 3 now so we need to start looking for another soon. The 2 youngest are 2 and 1 and we want them to get a little older first, but the oldest is a lab who's somewhere around 12.

• 6Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My husband always chastises me for being overly paranoid about our pets health, making sure they're not getting into things, putting away anything they could possibly mess with when we're not at home, etc. These stories are why I do it, though. I know all our pets have to leave us eventually, but the idea of it happening because I was neglectful or caused it in some way absolutely terrifies me and, if it ever happened, I don't think I'd be able to handle it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My husband always chastises me for being overly paranoid about our pets health, making sure they're not getting into things, putting away anything they could possibly mess with when we're not at home, etc. These stories are why I do it, though. I know all our pets have to leave us eventually, but the idea of it happening because I was neglectful or caused it in some way absolutely terrifies me and, if it ever happened, I don't think I'd be able to handle it.
I know stuff will happen, and sometimes there is literally nothing you can do, but I dread something happening too. I knew a friend of a friend that was vacuuming under the couch, lifting it up in the front, and their cat that was absolutely terrified of the vacuum and was never anywhere near during the process decided that was the time to overcome its fear. It startled him and the couch slipped and fell down instead of him setting it down gently, and the cat's head was perfectly under where a leg dropped. Even worse, it didn't instantly kill the cat, but it was definitely fatal.

Just thinking about that happening to me makes me nauseous. If it actually happened to me, despite it clearly being just a horrible accident, I would be horrified and probably remember that moment for the rest of my life. I don't even pop my recliner footrest down without checking that I know where both cats are, that's how worried about that shit I am. It is bad enough that neither of them seem to realize that running to the stair below my foot looking for pets is likely to get one of us killed, and I know I encourage the behavior by doing exactly what they want every time, but I am fairly certain that's how I will die eventually. At least they'll have plenty to eat until someone thinks to do a welfare check on me :p

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Just thinking about that happening to me makes me nauseous. If it actually happened to me, despite it clearly being just a horrible accident, I would be horrified and probably remember that moment for the rest of my life. I don't even pop my recliner footrest down without checking that I know where both cats are, that's how worried about that shit I am. It is bad enough that neither of them seem to realize that running to the stair below my foot looking for pets is likely to get one of us killed, and I know I encourage the behavior by doing exactly what they want every time, but I am fairly certain that's how I will die eventually. At least they'll have plenty to eat until someone thinks to do a welfare check on me :p

When they came out to put Zel to sleep, we loaded her up on a stretcher after it was done, and I helped the vet carry her to the van. As we were putting her in back, the stretcher jostled and her eyes popped open.

I know from watching movies that shit could happen, but holy shit is that fucking terrifying for half a second until you remember it. That vision haunts me, and I don't know if it ever won't.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

The guilt fucking sucks. I can't help but feel responsible for my first dog dying.

It was on the day of my son's sixth birthday party. She had an awesome afternoon rampaging around the back yard playing with everyone and eating all kinds of BBQ that people weren't supposed to feed her. Around 3 AM I woke up to hear her making some odd groaning noises, definitely not something I'd heard before. But I figured it was indigestion at worst and went back to sleep. At six I woke up to her crying and could definitely tell that something was wrong.

We went straight to the emergency vet to find out after an x-ray and ultrasound that she had twisted stomach. (When large-chested dogs eat too much and then run around their stomach can detach from the walls of their abdomen and spin in place, pinching off blood flow.) They did an immediate emergency surgery but a significant chunk of her stomach tissue had already gone necrotic and there was nothing to do. Died by 8 AM.

To this day every time one of my dogs rolls over at night I can't help but know that if I'd just given her a little bit more attention when I first knew that something wasn't right she'd have lived for maybe five more years.

RIP Lindsay.

IMG_0280.JPG

Last edited:
  • 7Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 8 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My wife is overly worried about big chested dogs getting bloat. That's what she calls it, but I'm pretty sure it's what you described. I think she must have a similar story from her childhood. They can do a preventative surgery to attach the stomach. We just always make sure the food dish is elevated and the food isn't dry.

Captain Suave

I think she must have a similar story from her childhood. They can do a preventative surgery to attach the stomach. We just always make sure the food dish is elevated and the food isn't dry.

Yeah, if your dog is getting abdominal surgery for some other reason they can staple the connective tissue to the chest wall, and that helps. We also used elevated dishes to discourage the excess swallowing of air. Retrievers are particularly at risk for this because they tend to eat like they're seeing the first food in their life. Wish I'd know a little more beforehand. =(

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had a dog that lived 17 years. For a long time I really didn't want another dog after that.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I know I'm a broken record on this, but I really think raw meat and bones is the best diet possible for a dog, for many reasons. But in this particular instance, it's because it slows them down. You cannot scarf down a chicken leg. Doesnt work. They need to work on it for awhile, and it's easier to handle that excessive ambition for food.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
When my choc lab was a puppy we had significant concerns with how fast she would eat. Try to eat the whole bowl in half a second and one gulp. Ended up getting a bowl shaped like a narrow doughnut to slow her down. It worked mostly but she started using her tongue more to get the bits at the bottom and we'd have to rinse the slobber after every meal. She didn't stop gorging until 4ish, but we still had to keep the bowl on a tall riser and not give her too much at any one time. Every time she came back in the house the first thing she would check would be her bowl, even before treats.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know I'm a broken record on this, but I really think raw meat and bones is the best diet possible for a dog, for many reasons. But in this particular instance, it's because it slows them down. You cannot scarf down a chicken leg. Doesnt work. They need to work on it for awhile, and it's easier to handle that excessive ambition for food.
Our GSD eats really slow so its not a concern, but for our smaller dog who scarfs it all down, we got a bowl that looks like a tetris puzzle and forces her to work her away around the bowl eating slowly. Something similar to this. It works.

1705008007926.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Our GSD eats really slow so its not a concern, but for our smaller dog who scarfs it all down, we got a bowl that looks like a tetris puzzle and forces her to work her away around the bowl eating slowly. Something similar to this. It works.

View attachment 508781

Yeah, but the puzzle feeder just treats the symptoms, not the problem.

The problem is nutrient poor garbage that's cooked and recooked until it's unrecognizable, and then sprayed with fat to trick dogs into eating it.

Vs

A chicken leg.

Captain Suave

View attachment 508781

We had one of those. My dog just learned to solve the maze with her tongue and after a couple weeks it wasn't any slower.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
I'd always heard that chicken bones are not good for dogs because they splinter easily? Is that a thing?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I'd always heard that chicken bones are not good for dogs because they splinter easily? Is that a thing?

*Cooked* chicken bones splinter. Never feed cooked chicken.

*Raw* chicken bones crush. Totally fine to eat for animals. Your dogs mileage may vary based upon their size.

• 1Like