I, Tonya (2017)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Biggest narrative about her skating back then was that it wasnt as refined compared to the other skaters

Right, but when your jumping is world class, it makes up for that lack of polish elsewhere.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Right, but when your jumping is world class, it makes up for that lack of polish elsewhere.

For sure. Was watching this Gif and it was fucking amazing. If you watch her left leg, it goes out super far and then she rounds it out and towards her generating a huge push combined with the slingshot of that turn.

I do that when skating backwards to generate crazy fucking speed. It feels more natural circling your leg out and in when doing it backwards for sure.

Goddamn brews

image.gif

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This was a surprisingly good movie, especially for someone who thinks figure skating is stupid. I was also pretty young when all of this happened, so it was kind of rewriting the story that I thought I knew.

Seems like she got a pretty shitty shake through the whole thing. I'm also going to be honest and say when they showed the clip at the end of actual Tonya, I think she's more attractive than Margot's version of Tonya (and maybe just in general?).

Also wonder if she ended up getting any royalties from the movie.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This was a surprisingly good movie, especially for someone who thinks figure skating is stupid. I was also pretty young when all of this happened, so it was kind of rewriting the story that I thought I knew.

Seems like she got a pretty shitty shake through the whole thing. I'm also going to be honest and say when they showed the clip at the end of actual Tonya, I think she's more attractive than Margot's version of Tonya (and maybe just in general?).

Also wonder if she ended up getting any royalties from the movie.
thats cuz margot robbie was made to look like every 80's bad dressed/haircut troupe ever invented

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shit, I didn't mean now Margot Robbie vs now Tonya Harding. I meant 1990's Tonya.

That said, I went back and Googled pictures and I completely change my mind. Even fixing her hair and makeup she wasn't all that attractive.

Cool interview though. I felt really shitty for her after watching the movie, but she seems really happy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Shit, I didn't mean now Margot Robbie vs now Tonya Harding. I meant 1990's Tonya.

That said, I went back and Googled pictures and I completely change my mind. Even fixing her hair and makeup she wasn't all that attractive.

Cool interview though. I felt really shitty for her after watching the movie, but she seems really happy.
yea no, i felt the i,tonya, margot robbie was way overdone trying to looks like 80s girl.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Just watched this movie as well, been flying at least 2-3 times a week for work so catching up on a ton. This typically isn’t the type of movie I would pick but I have to say it was pretty good. Defiantly worth a watch.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
yea no, i felt the i,tonya, margot robbie was way overdone trying to looks like 80s girl.
But the low class 80's look was on point. I would know. I lived that shit.

Was a pretty entertaining movie. The wife is heavily invested in ice skating, so we saw this in theaters. I grew up watching this shit happen with my moms. This shit made equally made ice skating popular and killed it at the same time. It was very entertaining. Winter Soldier makes a convincing rager/abuser.

Szlia

There are lots of parts of the movie that reenact events that were filmed/televised at the time. They made some adjustments to streamline the plot and avoid the things they did not want to talk about, but other than that it is very faithful (even things that seem totally over the top like the interview of the dumb mythomaniac). So I would not be surprised most of the clothing in the film is based on archives.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
There are lots of parts of the movie that reenact events that were filmed/televised at the time. They made some adjustments to streamline the plot and avoid the things they did not want to talk about, but other than that it is very faithful (even things that seem totally over the top like the interview of the dumb mythomaniac). So I would not be surprised most of the clothing in the film is based on archives.

If you watched through the credits, they actually show the original recorded video that they copied scenes from virtually verbatim. It's incredibly cringe how a lot of that shit actually happened.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users