If you SMELLLLLLLLLLLL, what Hercules, is cookin'!

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
That makes it sound like it's just a movie with some guy named Hercules rather than something based on the tales of Hercules. Whatever.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw him promoting it on Conan and he mentions the scene where he accepts that he's a demi-god. And they showed a clip of him throwing a horse. And the trailer shows him fighting a giant boar and giant lion. I suspect there's a little bit of fantasy/mythology in this here flick.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was wondering if anyone was going to talk about seeing this. i am sort of curious if its any good. was a big fan of steve reeves as hercules and wanted to see how the rock measures up.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
so all the videos and clips of him being "hercules" is done in the first few minutes. Some guy is telling another guy how awesome he is, and it is showing him fight monsters etc ..after that nothing but mercenary stuff.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I saw him promoting it on Conan and he mentions the scene where he accepts that he's a demi-god. And they showed a clip of him throwing a horse. And the trailer shows him fighting a giant boar and giant lion. I suspect there's a little bit of fantasy/mythology in this here flick.
Like sumdain x said, 99% of that stuff is in the first 2 minutes of the movie during a narration about Hercules' exploits, which are later confirmed to be nothing but bullshit stories told to scare his enemies before facing him. In terms of fantasy, it's really only the typical action movie kind of fantasy, where the heroes are more resilient and stronger than everyone else, a la most Stallone/Schwarzenegger movies. In fact, at several points during the movie they go out of their way to show that the mythology is bullshit:

At one point, they show the "real" hydra that Hercules killed, and it was just a bunch of bandits in snake costumes.
Cerberus ends up being 3 big dogs, which are pets of a king.
Lots of people claim they are attacked by centaurs, but eventually it's shown that they're just soldiers on horses.
Hercules kills 40 pirates in one scene, but he does so out of view so that the pirate leader can't see that Hercules has 4 hidden buddies helping him out.
Etc.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I saw it and was surprised at the direction they took it as well. It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't all that great either. It would make a decent rental to watch at home in a few months, but unless the 3D was awesome (I skip 3D nowadays) there is really no reason to go out of your way to see it in theaters. I'd give it maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10, and I'm a huge fan of The Rock.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Like sumdain x said, 99% of that stuff is in the first 2 minutes of the movie during a narration about Hercules' exploits, which are later confirmed to be nothing but bullshit stories told to scare his enemies before facing him. In terms of fantasy, it's really only the typical action movie kind of fantasy, where the heroes are more resilient and stronger than everyone else, a la most Stallone/Schwarzenegger movies. In fact, at several points during the movie they go out of their way to show that the mythology is bullshit:

At one point, they show the "real" hydra that Hercules killed, and it was just a bunch of bandits in snake costumes.
Cerberus ends up being 3 big dogs, which are pets of a king.
Lots of people claim they are attacked by centaurs, but eventually it's shown that they're just soldiers on horses.
Hercules kills 40 pirates in one scene, but he does so out of view so that the pirate leader can't see that Hercules has 4 hidden buddies helping him out.
Etc.
So the entire point of the movie is to discredit Hercules and how unbelievable his exploits were? No wonder this movie bombed. Whose stupid idea for a movie was this?

Tual

Molten Core Raider
IMO a really bad movie on par with the Clash of the Titan movies. Shitty script, shitty acting and nothing but cliches. The direction they took was unexpected, but didn't really matter since it had shitty writing anyway. If you watched the trailer you've literally seen all the best scenes of the movie.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This feedback is reading like I should go back and watch the cheesy 90's Sorbocules instead of watching this movie.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Was a good movie. Out of everything out right now, it's probably second only to Guardians. Don't think of it as discrediting the legends, think of it as a possible truth behind the legends. This was based on some marvel comics, and it's my understanding that's the direction the comics chose to take.

FWIW though, I really enjoyed sorbo's hercules, and I was a little disappointed this wasn't more like that. But it was still good.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have not seen this yet, but I will say at the theatre we went to see Guardians at the second time, people coming out of this one did not look too happy. That is usually not a good sign.

Cybsled

Well the movie marketing is basically a bait and switch troll. The commercial totally gave the impression it was going to be the 12 tasks of Hercules: The movie. People might think "oh neat, Greek myth movie with Hercules fighting cannibals and harpies and hydras!", then you watch the movie and a giant troll face appears and goes "lolol, psych bitch! You honestly think we had the budget for that shit? Enjoy your low budget generic swords n' shields movie with a dude named Hercules!"

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I hate how trailers nowadays spoil everything about the movie, so I found it less "bait and switch" and more of a refreshing experience to not know what was coming next. Pretty big plot spoiler below, to demonstrate my point:

I had no fucking clue the king would end up being the bad guy, and I was taken completely by surprise when that was revealed. 99% of trailers would have spoiled that twist.

Anyway, it was a fun movie and I don't regret paying to see it. I'm a big fan of The Rock and he didn't disappoint. All the added side characters were great, too, and I especially loved seeing Al Swearingen again.

spronk

FPS noob
bluray rips are out, pretty decent movie and definitely worth a watch. feel bad it bombed so hard at the box office, but i guess the other shittier hercules movie coming out earlier and the kinda crappy clash of the titan movies/300-sequel left everyone not really wanting to go see another greek myth movie at the theaters.

some pretty badass action scenes, i can see why the rock was so proud of the movie. the only problem is as people have said i sorta went in expecting a mythological sort of movie ala every hercules movie ever made, and you instead get a realistic greek myth movie which is... hard to reconcile.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
bluray rips are out, pretty decent movie and definitely worth a watch. feel bad it bombed so hard at the box office, but i guess the other shittier hercules movie coming out earlier and the kinda crappy clash of the titan movies/300-sequel left everyone not really wanting to go see another greek myth movie at the theaters.

some pretty badass action scenes, i can see why the rock was so proud of the movie. the only problem is as people have said i sorta went in expecting a mythological sort of movie ala every hercules movie ever made, and you instead get a realistic greek myth movie which is... hard to reconcile.
If it was actually a greek myth movie about the exploits of Hercules instead of a typical hollywood abortion it wouldn't have bombed.