"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
A lawyer could scare the hell out of them. If they're truly shady even some hollow threat from a real lawdude might make them simmer down.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I bought a Honda Accord with 7 years and 60,000 Miles on it for under 10,000
tongue.png

I'm confused.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Agreed, I'm an idiot.

I've bought 2 used cars in the last 10 years, and both times were a pleasure. I'm a personable (charismatic?) IT guy, I tend to get along with just about everyone. Hell, I took work on an indian reservation, where EVERYONE told me I was going to deal with tons of racist shit all the time, and instead am like the local celebrity. I guess I just haven't really had to deal with very much bullshit in my adult life, so I'm always very surprised when I do. I don't usually deal with any confrontation, and I don't know, I'm basically full on pussy mode. I don't even lift, bro.

I'm not usually dumb. My credit has to be outstanding at this point, and the reason I didn't want to get a loan is because I worked so hard to get out of debt. Finally achieved that this Feburary, took like 7 years of putting any extra money towards payments to get completely out, and other than my mortgage, I told myself I wasn't going to do any debt again if I could help it.

As for the dealerships, I have no idea. I haven't needed a car in forever, but I went to 4 different dealerships saying I was looking to spend under 10k and got laughed at on every occasion. They were trying to show me cars that were like 16-18k at the lowest at every place (Except the KIA dealership which said the lowest USED car would be around 20k). So I went "Well fuck" and took the net.

As for bringing my wife and kids, my wife wanted to test drive it with me, and it was such short notice we couldn't get a sitter for the kids. It was a Friday evening (July 19th) and I had to leave in the morning for 8 straight days of work. So, the plan was, my wife drives us up there, my friend watches the kids while we test drive, then my wife drives her car home with the kids, while my friend and I take the new car to catch an IMAX show before heading home. I figured meeting at a bank would be safest, but as long as it was a big public place, yeah, murders aren't super common.

Man, I really should have quoted to answer all these questions. I'm not in Vegas, I'm in Kingman Arizona, just over an hour away. And yeah, I have the girls home address, phone number, and her boyfriends phone number as well. I think I will probably try the "Send a notarized letter from an attorney" idea before I try the "MURDER HER" one though.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Craigslist is a shithole full of scammers, unfortunately.

iannis

Musty Nester
Keep the plates until a deputy comes to your door.

You're going to be out a wad of cash either way, but if you send those plates back everyone forgets this ever happened. You might as well get something for your money.

The dude at TitleMax is probably right to be worried about his job.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My fiance's mother put $9k down on a Hyundai accent (brand new) and almost paid off the entire thing. Man.. no street smarts here at all.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah yeah, he fucked up, he knows, is everyone done going "you dumb, Wakandan" yet?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
When I read that, I thought this was going to end with "they took my money, my car, my wife, and my kids. What do I do?"
I was thinking the same thing. "Shady car deal with a stranger in Vegas? Lets bring the wife and kids!" Not something that crosses my mind.

Also, yes, not being able to find a legit car for $10k seems odd to me too. Seems like you should have come here and posted/read up before you started car hunting instead of after. I did and am still happy as fuck with my buy 5 years later thanks to this community as crazy as that sounds.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like he lives in Kingman, which is almost the middle of nowhere. But he was willing to go to Vegas so I dont see how he didnt have tons of options.
Yeah, I was checking Mohave County, Vegas, Phoenix, Prescott, and Flagstaff multiple times a day. The issue is that over the last 6 weeks or so I've been working something like 15 hour days with a couple hundred miles driven per day, and my car is falling apart, so I was feeling pressed for time, and severely disappointed by every car I saw as an option being a salvage title. This was the first one that seemed legit... until I got there... at which point I just caved and committed.

At this point, I would be happy to just get out with anything. If I can get the title great, if I can get fucking 6k of my money back, not as great, but I'll take it. I'll talk to a lawyer tomorrow I guess, try to get a solid plan going. Also, way more people read this thread than I expected. Good job guys.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lawyer could scare the hell out of them. If they're truly shady even some hollow threat from a real lawdude might make them simmer down.
Actually I did that before with some guy who bounced a check on me when I wassellinga car. I forget what I was selling it for but he seemed legit and we did have bill of sale and title and shit so it was documented. The car was basically fucked and not running, old ass POS VW, so I was selling it more as scrap in the hundreds of dollars range. Supposedly dude restored cars with disadvantaged kids as the labor to teach them to work on automobiles. Said he was going to get me pics in the long run when it was restored. Never found out if he was making that shit up or what.

I spent weeks on the phone with this dude and his wife getting the run around that they would pay me next week and shit. I'm like WTF I've got our bill of sale, title was transferred with a money amount and I have a cancelled check from your fucked ass account. Eventually our phone calls have me yelling at him and shit.

Finally got a local cop to get on the phone with his ass and talk about what sorts of charges he might consider if we couldn't work shit out. Next thing you know he's calling me up like "wow, you didn't have to go do all that"....and of course he get's me the money next week for real this time. He wasn't so nice at that meeting, but I had stopped being nice already.

So, yeah, I wouldn't take a check again even if the guy seemed responsible and it wasn't for a lot and the check looked ok with high number etc. Shouldn't have anyway, but the guy didn't set off any alarms so I was nice to him at my own detriment.

Trying to remember now if I looked at ID or what, because it never really turned out to be a stolen check (which I think I would have considered and checked ID and shit) or not him in general. This was a good long time ago now and I was pretty young, so learning experience overall.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I was thinking the same thing. "Shady car deal with a stranger in Vegas? Lets bring the wife and kids!" Not something that crosses my mind.

Also, yes, not being able to find a legit car for $10k seems odd to me too. Seems like you should have come here and posted/read up before you started car hunting instead of after. I did and am still happy as fuck with my buy 5 years later thanks to this community as crazy as that sounds.
Hahha, I actually looked at the "time to buy a new car!" thread, or whatever it was called, and it seemed to be pages full of "I just bought this car for 80k", "Thats a nice car, but this one at $100k is mine, and she can't be beat". It dissuaded me from joining in on the conversation.
smile.png

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Hahha, I actually looked at the "time to buy a new car!" thread, or whatever it was called, and it seemed to be pages full of "I just bought this car for 80k", "Thats a nice car, but this one at $100k is mine, and she can't be beat". It dissuaded me from joining in on the conversation.
smile.png
Much more entertaining for us now. Thanks.

spronk

FPS noob
get Titlemax on your side. Call a good vegas title and civil attorney and explain whats going on, Titlemax should never have gotten into the middle of this shit so you want to get them to harass this stupid bitch since a corporation will do anything to avoid getting sued and bad PR, or even worse, have state agencies investigate their business.

An attorney can go through your options, from writing letters to her and Titlemax explaining how you want the situation resolved, if Titlemax is violating any laws the attorney can even subtly suggest some sort of settlement before going to court.

craigslist may as well be renamed scamlist, every low life scum is on there trying to cheat you

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That sucks dude.

So....where do we send V's and xbones?
Xbone? Sir, I could use a PS4. I'm a total MMO loving cool chick who just happens to be down on her luck after some dickhead scammed me out of my car and title that he promised to pay me $8.3k for. I tried to borrow money from my guildies to feed my son and special brother but they are all meanies. A PS4 would really cheer me up these days, or some aspie guys to chat with.

Pic so you know I'm for real:

jkQ8GX0.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. Sounds like a shitty situation. I'm sure a lot of people are going to come into this thread with theirhttp://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Hindsightcalling you an idiot and what not, but it seems pretty clear you already have that all figured out.

Outside of talking to a lawyer I'm not sure what else you can do at this point. I would see if that title company would be willing to give you a copy of that video recording. Also while it is still fresh in your memory try to write down everything that was said, verbatim if possible. If it does go to court, the better you can stick to the facts the better. Your story staying the same with theirs most likely changing will work in your favor.

I'm trying to figure out why she wants the plates so bad. A cursory Google search of car scams doesn't shed any light on that. Maybe she plans to rob a bank with those plates on a car then pinning it on you or something /shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.