"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, some states you own your plates and move them from one car to another, rather than being tied to the registration and changed every time the car changes hands, right?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd just keep calling her every day and politely ask to trade the plates for the title.

Dis

Confirmed Male
We should have like a who to PM list somewhere stickied. Like who to talk to when you want need to invest in something, who to talk to when you buy a car.

Bro, I work (South Texas IT Manager) for the 4th largest publicly owned car dealership group. I got my Mom in a loss leader corolla that was 1 year old, with just under 36k for right around 11k. We sell fuckloads of cars for under 10k, it is the bread and butter of the used car lots, hell it is talked about at the Market Director meetings with the GMs ("we need more vehicles under 10k guys"). I feel bad for you bro, you have a long road ahead of you in getting this sorted out. So many alarm bells were going off when I was reading your story, but yet you just continued ahead with the purchase, I was facepalming the whole time.

We have no car dealerships in Arizona, keep this in mind, but I could have pointed you in the right direction. We have software we use to locate cars all over the US (Auto Exchange for example through Dealertrack), I could have located a vehicle according to your criteria, got you the actual COST from the dealership, and PMed you the location, price, how long it has been in stock. Next time, try to leverage the board =(

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The combined cost of the 3 cars that I've outright owned in my lifetime is still less than $10k, and they were perfectly serviceable, normal cars. The fuck are you people driving?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The combined cost of the 3 cars that I've outright owned in my lifetime is still less than $10k, and they were perfectly serviceable, normal cars. The fuck are you people driving?
That's pretty rare. I paid $3600 and $4100 for my two cars over the last decade.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Actually I did that before with some guy who bounced a check on me when I wassellinga car. I forget what I was selling it for but he seemed legit and we did have bill of sale and title and shit so it was documented. The car was basically fucked and not running, old ass POS VW, so I was selling it more as scrap in the hundreds of dollars range. Supposedly dude restored cars with disadvantaged kids as the labor to teach them to work on automobiles. Said he was going to get me pics in the long run when it was restored. Never found out if he was making that shit up or what.

I spent weeks on the phone with this dude and his wife getting the run around that they would pay me next week and shit. I'm like WTF I've got our bill of sale, title was transferred with a money amount and I have a cancelled check from your fucked ass account. Eventually our phone calls have me yelling at him and shit.

Finally got a local cop to get on the phone with his ass and talk about what sorts of charges he might consider if we couldn't work shit out. Next thing you know he's calling me up like "wow, you didn't have to go do all that"....and of course he get's me the money next week for real this time. He wasn't so nice at that meeting, but I had stopped being nice already.

So, yeah, I wouldn't take a check again even if the guy seemed responsible and it wasn't for a lot and the check looked ok with high number etc. Shouldn't have anyway, but the guy didn't set off any alarms so I was nice to him at my own detriment.

Trying to remember now if I looked at ID or what, because it never really turned out to be a stolen check (which I think I would have considered and checked ID and shit) or not him in general. This was a good long time ago now and I was pretty young, so learning experience overall.
Haha I bought my truck with a wire transfer.

Of course that happened at the bank and had bill of sale and title transfer.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Can you talk them into an escrow where both of you send the items to a third party and they in turn relay what you need to you?

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cop is just blowing you off. Call back and you'll get another answer completely.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I was debating sending a text asking if they just wanted to meet back up at TitleMax tomorrow and do an exchange there, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm just facilitating myself getting shot. Maybe I should follow my gut this time and not go ahead anyway.

I guess I could always try to arrange the "Would me sending the plates to TitleMax, and them giving them to you once you signed the title, work for you?"

Or the obvious "Go to a Lawyer tomorrow" thing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't let go of the plates until you have the signed title in hand. It's easy for people on the internet to recommend you shell out hundreds of dollars for a lawyer but if I were you I'd still try to resolve it without a lawyer. I'd bring a friend and meet them at titlemax. Just be sure that whatever the fuck titlemax is has some liability over the title being free and clear and yours.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Does Titlemax have the title now or did they give it back to her?
Are you sure she even had a title in the first place?
I think you need to put more pressure on titlemax. do they have to be licensed to do title transactions in Nevada? If so is there a governing body that controls the license? Does the body have a website or a place you could get some more information about compliance rules and compliant procedure? Look up that information before you call the manager back.

Edit.
Did you sign anything with Titlemax or get involved with them? or did you simply give her your money and let her go in and pay off the lien?

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I was debating sending a text asking if they just wanted to meet back up at TitleMax tomorrow and do an exchange there, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm just facilitating myself getting shot. Maybe I should follow my gut this time and not go ahead anyway.

I guess I could always try to arrange the "Would me sending the plates to TitleMax, and them giving them to you once you signed the title, work for you?"

Or the obvious "Go to a Lawyer tomorrow" thing.
Quit being a fucking dumbass and call an attorney. Pay him for an hour's worth of legal advice. Pay him more if he comes up with a reasonable solution.

I don't know the law of contracts in Arizona/Nevada because I slept through my UCC contracts class since that common law shit is inapplicable here. That said, I'm pretty damn certain that you have a legal recourse. You, however, are too fucking stupid to pursue it on your own. Call an attorney, shit for brains. Throw a little good money after the bad fixing this idiotic shit.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I will say that quote you got on repairs is ridiculously overpriced, at least from where i'm from.

Status
Not open for further replies.