"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I keep checking the mail hoping for the same thing, but it never comes, it never comes.
frown.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's really pretty fucked up that you can exchange money for a car in front of witnesses and then the person can just refuse to turn over a piece of paper and suddenly you are in eternal legal limbo and there's almost nothing you can do about it.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I don't think I am going to get the attorney involved. I'm still hoping that the title shows up in the mail in the next few days, but seems unlikely. I just don't understand why she is texting me saying it will if it's not going to.

I'm waiting this week, and if nothing happens, I'm going to look into filing for a title on an abandoned vehicle next week. I have a friend who's wife works at the DMV, spoke with him last night and he's going to talk to her about what exactly it takes.

If I have to go through that though, then fuck being nice. If she thinks my 4 texts over 4 days is "blowing up her fucking phone", lets see what the internet can do. This friday is 5 weeks. I'm really just getting tired and bitter about it now, so fuck her. Well, if I have to do that fuck her, after I get the car, fuck her. Fuck her fuck her fuck her.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
It's really pretty fucked up that you can exchange money for a car in front of witnesses and then the person can just refuse to turn over a piece of paper and suddenly you are in eternal legal limbo and there's almost nothing you can do about it.
And yeah, all that shit you hear about a bill of sale and stuff doesn't even matter, because even if you have that in hand, you are looking at 3k in legal fee's to take it to court.

Bottom line is, unless you have a title in your hand, never ever do anything close to what I did.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So with the car still in her name isn't she liable for any damages etc? Or because the plates are off she is no longer liable? If you can't get it registered etc. You need to get it impounded and let those charges build up insane high etc. Or drive it into a building.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Or better yet, go park it infront of a government building and report it for suspicious activity. For good measure make sure there are 55 gallon blue barrels in the back seat.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I can't remember, but did you ever end up getting a Bill of Sale? If you have a bill of sale you should be able to get a bonded title for relatively cheap (couple hundred bucks). Just tell whoevers bonding you that the last owner lost the title. Please note you would be sued by the bond company if the old owner took the title and tried to reclaim the car D:

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Abandoned title won't work because they will be able to look up who the owner is and send a notification to them if the vehicle is indeed abandoned. If they respond, no bueno.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Safest way to do stuff like this is through an actual escrow service. They hold the money until the rest of the stuff is done and approved by both parties.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Just finished reading this thread.

What a clusterfuck.

I think it is safe to assume that your $8K is good as gone now at present time. What remains is whether you want to throw additional money at this to make a statement that you are not to be fucked around with. They are counting on you not going through with your legal threats and are using a delaying tactic by saying they have mailed you your title.

Wake the fuck up man, you are not going to see it on your doorstep any time soon.

You can either lose $8K and have a piece of crap car in your possession that is not even in your name and 2 scammers laughing at what a tool you are, or you can throw more money at this and take these fuckers to court and fuck them up legally. At least you know that they won't be laying in bed smug in thought of having conned you.

You most probably would need to throw an additional $6K at this to get legal resolution but at least you can drag those fuckers through the court and not give them an easy time. I know this would be the route that I will take.

I don't know much about the legal system in the US but can't you get any legal aid based on your financial situation?

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Sometimes I wonder if this was a really poorly thought out con by both the girl and her boyfriend as well as theTitlemaxguy to sell an already stolen car.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Also, if you do indeed go through with the court route and successfully obtain a judgement against them for costs and damages, as your lawyer said, they most probably won't be able to pay you so couldn't you sell that debt to a debt collection agency? You won't get the full amount but should still get a good proportion of it back.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I heard typing in all capital letters gets your point across more clearly, so you should seriously consider doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.