"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Its amazing listening to you guys saying that is okay to drive cars with wooden/missing bumpers, faulty airbags, bent frames/chassis, without your seatbelt on /boggle

The rules are pretty strict in the UK. Get caught driving without your seatbelt on? That's a fine and points on your drivers license thank you very much.

MOT test - Wikipedia

The Ministry of Transport test (usually abbreviated to MOT test) is an annual test of automobile safety, roadworthiness aspects and exhaust emissions required for most vehicles over three years old used on public roads in the United Kingdom.

The actual designation for the pass certificate is VT20, and failure is the VT30, with any advisories being the VT32. The "MOT" Test will provide an emissions report if applicable.
It is illegal to drive a non-exempt vehicle that requires a test on public roads without a current MOT, except when driving to or from (subject to insurance terms and conditions) a booked MOT Test or to have remedial work done to rectify failures in a previous test. Possession of an up-to-date VT20 test certificate is a pre-requisite for obtaining a tax disc, and advertisements for used cars frequently say how many months are left to run on the current MOT (i.e., VT20 certificate; although the VT20 points out that it does not, in any way, guarantee road-worthiness at the time of sale). A vehicle could suffer major damage after an MOT has been carried out, but the certificate would still be valid, and obtaining a new one is not required by law (some insurance companies may require a new test, but this is their practice, not law). However, driving a vehicle which is in a dangerous condition on a public road is always illegal, irrespective of its test status.

The MOT test covers the following aspects:

Lighting and signalling equipment
Steering (including suspension)
Brakes
Tyres and wheels
Seat belts
Body, structure and general items
Exhaust, fuel and emissions
Driver's view of the road

Items such as the windscreen, wipers and exhaust systems are tested for condition and operation. Windscreen wipers will fail the test if they do not adequately clear the windscreen when used in conjunction with the washers. The exhaust system, in addition to checks on its condition and security, is tested to ascertain whether it is obviously louder than another vehicle of the same make and model with a standard exhaust system fitted.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its amazing listening to you guys saying that is okay to drive cars with wooden/missing bumpers, faulty airbags, bent frames/chassis, without your seatbelt on /boggle

The rules are pretty strict in the UK. Get caught driving without your seatbelt on? That's a fine and points on your drivers license thank you very much.

MOT test - Wikipedia
Seat belt laws depend on the state we have them in my state.

Pretty much all car laws are local state laws if you're not on an interstate so the regulations vary from one place to another.

Car mechanics aren't allowed to let cars which are unfit according to various criteria (again, state by state it will vary) on the road, but air bags aren't considered an essential function for road use. Mostly because they aren't. At all. Necessary to drive the car efficiently and safely on the road. They're an extra safety precaution, not a required one.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
How does being on an interstate highway matter? They're all state laws, but the feds withhold funds for building those interstates to strongarm states into passing certain laws. Seatbelt laws for instance, and having to be 21 to drink (even though that has nothing to do with driving)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

MOT test - Wikipedia
The States have similar laws for all those items but aren't uniform on emissions. Some states have strict emissions requirements (California iirc) others have none (shit yeah Michigan).

The laws in MI regarding bumpers is that vehicles must have a structure at a certain height that is intended for absorbing impact. My wood bumper qualifies and the metal bit that the plastic bumper is attached to qualifies.

I don't see any air bag requirement up there.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I always thought that wooden bumper was a joke at Tuco's expense. I didn't realize it was real. God Tuco, wtf.
frown.png

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I don't see any air bag requirement up there.
The Telegraph - New tough MoT rules could see thousands of failures

A typical modern car has 40 or more computers and a level of technical sophistication a world away from that seen in the early 1990s when the MOT test last underwent a major revision. These changes are important and help bring the MOT test in line with 21st century car technology."

Other key changes will include testing whether an array of dashboard lights are working properly, including seat belts, brake fluid and headlights.

Car seats must be able to move forward and backwards, to ensure that drivers can reach the pedals.

The electric motor fitted to many seats in modern cars will also be checked separately.

Car doors will have to open and close properly. The warning light, which warns that they have not been fully shut, will also be checked.

Other additional items subject to the tougher testing regime include airbags,electronic stability controls, the speedometer and the catalytic converter.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

MOT test - Wikipedia
I like how you are all shocked that someone would be allowed to drive a car without airbags in the US and then post a link of how it would also not be illegal in the UK. I'm sure if a cop had the urge to cite you for a homemade wooden bumper they probably could. People don't drive shitty cars in the UK?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So what did we learn today?

When you make a bad deal with a hooker, make sure your wife has the balls to solve your fuck ups.

iannis

Musty Nester
There is nothing shitty about a wooden bumper.

Bumpers are just aesthetic anyway. With how big cars are and how those bumpers are affixed the the bodies, it's not like they really serve to divert any force.

I wrecked a bug car once. That car sheared apart. That's some quality engineering. The force just went everywhere except where I was while I was screaming "oooooohhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt"

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Depending on how it was built a wood bumper could definitely be stronger than the plastic over styrofoam bumpers that are routinely used on modern cars. In fact now that you mention it, I remember a small scandal when I was a kid when the winner of a local demolition derby was accused of reinforcing his car's front bumper with a piece of railroad tie.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Those rules (If the penalty has any teeth) will never see the light of day.

And I think it's very unlikely that a LEO could've cited me anything for my bumper. But I imagine I sent a few local policemen back to their codes to see if my shit was legal. The only time it wasn't was when my turn signal bulbs went out. I had to staple the wire to the back of the bumper and they were just dangling. I duct-taped the bulbs to their connector to stop water getting in but it rusted anyway and I went through quite a few bulbs. I just bought a dozen at a time and replaced them every couple months.

The other thing they might've been able to hit me on was that my right headlight was screwed into the bumper and wasn't really pointed anywhere in particular. It was more of a lazy eye than a headlight and kind of shined to the right and up. I always expected an officer to pull me over and ask if I was trying to call the bat.

Safety wise I doubt my bumper made me much safer. For minor accidents the wood would've likely held up and not been a problem. But any major accident the wood would have either broken off its bolts (Each 4x4 only had two bolts) or otherwise broken off. The steel holding it wasn't very strong either. Worst case scenario is it breaks and flies off and hits someone. One attribute of metal is that it doesn't break it just bends, so wrecks are generally self contained.

I miss that shitty old car.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I feel like you aren't talking about this thread at all and rather than being so coy, mention who you are talking about!
Nah, this ain't the place for it. I just wanted to confirm that being called out on stupid shit is not only accepted, but expected here.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just remember, Americans, whenever the Brits try to mock you for having more freedom than them, to remind them of this

https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can...-carry-a-knife

Knives: the laws on buying and carrying
Not what you're looking for? ?
The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances.
Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it's a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of ?5,000.

Good reasons for carrying a knife
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work
you're taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, televison, historical reenactment or religious purposes (eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry)
A court will decide if you've got a good reason to carry a knife if you're charged with carrying it illegally.

Knives that are illegal
There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives:

flick knives (also called 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives') - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives - eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
hand or foot-claws
push daggers
hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
shuriken (also known as 'death stars' or 'throwing stars')
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police to check if a knife is illegal or not.

rrr_img_42441.jpg

rrr_img_42442.jpg

America:Freedom
Britain: Have to show an ID to buy kitchen cutlery

This is why we don't require our citizens to have working airbags on their cars and your country does. Because we're better than you. Always have been, always will be.

Enjoy your shariah law, Britannia!

khalid

Unelected Mod
Must be nice to be a mugger in Britain. You know any victim is going to be completely helpless.

Status
Not open for further replies.