"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most likely result of you giving out their information is they get a link to this thread and a request to come tell their story. Which would be hilarious to hear what you left out.
That would be great but I don't blame him at all for not releasing her identity. Too much real life drama or even danger could ensue.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Are you going to contact Dis for help with a better car deal? I don't remember if he has any close to you or not.

At least attempt to use his help. It'll most likely help to mitigate whatever irrational decision you make next.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You guys are stone cold. I love when people act like they've never done something stupid. Usually the people who bark the loudest about how stupid everyone else is are the biggest morons around.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have definitely done some stupid shit, and the shaming I received for it was crucial in my development process. Do stupid shit, get clowned, don't do stupid shit again. It is the way of our people.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You guys are stone cold. I love when people act like they've never done something stupid. Usually the people who bark the loudest about how stupid everyone else is are the biggest morons around.
Everyone does stupid shit, but stringing together the number of stupid decisions that Onoes did requires a special kind of stupid. He knows it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have definitely done some stupid shit, and the shaming I received for it was crucial in my development process. Do stupid shit, get clowned, don't do stupid shit again. It is the way of our people.
This.

Also, the sheer amount of poor decisions made during this entire ordeal is almost unfathomable to me. If you come to a message board(especially one like this) and share these details, you should most definitely be prepared to be called out on them. I just hope that in the end Onoes takes the lesson and applies it in the future.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
If you come to a message board(especially one like this) and share these details, you should most definitely be prepared to be called out on them.
Really? Does this only apply to sharing information about stupid stuff one does, or should one expect to be called out on anything deserving of a calling out?

Dis

Confirmed Male
I have done some stupid shit, but not cost you 3-4k+? stupid shit. As Soy points out correctly, bad decision followed by more bad decisions. Reading his updates were like infinite facepalms.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i would just sell the car too, but i would sell it privately. the car dealerships are a bunch of sharks. selling privately will at least bring out some guppies. dont be greedy. start at what you paid for the car and work your way down from there. let your wife do all the talking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Really? Does this only apply to sharing information about stupid stuff one does, or should one expect to be called out on anything deserving of a calling out?
If you come to the internet and air your personal experiences, you should be prepared to deal with the repercussions of putting those experiences into a public forum. Is that surprising or hard to grasp for you?

Dis

Confirmed Male
i would just sell the car too, but i would sell it privately. the car dealerships are a bunch of sharks. selling privately will at least bring out some guppies. dont be greedy. start at what you paid for the car and work your way down from there. let your wife do all the talking.
The irony of your post...

Car dealerships are a bunch of sharks, but trying to sell it for more than it is worth (AKA ripping them off) to some private buyers is totally cool.

Your post would have been much better put if you said "Dont sell it to the sharks, BE the shark!"

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Would you disclose the accidents, the repairs, the bullshit previous owners, and all that? Or would you be "that" kind of private car seller, and say "Nah, it's great!" to the buyers?

I couldn't, in good conscience, ask what he paid for this car. Necessary disclosure, and all that. He'll likely get more toward a car at a dealership than he will cash by selling it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You don't have to be such a dick Hodj, we all make mistakes, he made a huge one and in most of these huge mistake we make, we just want to get rid of "whatever remind us of that huge mistake " asap.
I'm not being a dick, I'm trying to use some tough talk to break through his malaise that has him making one really stupid, costly error after another.

You know that shit has to be driving his wife fucking bonkers. Poor gal.

Added: Every word I said I worded exactly the way I would talk to myself if I was in his shoes and made the missteps he's made up to this point. If it came across as too harsh, understand that when I wrote it, I was writing it from the perspective of talking to onesself about stupid mistakes one has made.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Wait, your father worked for Ford, and you qualified for their employee discount, and you still laid out 10 grand on craigslist? Seriously man,what the fuck. At the start I thought this was all pretty dumb but it was essentially typical sheltered computer nerd actually meets up with assholes in therealworld and comedy ensues. But your dad actually worked around cars? Why didn't...you know...talkto him?

As others have said, eating a 3k loss is dumb now...But christ you could have put 10k down on a new car and owned it outright in like 5 years if you budgeted halfway decently. On a NEW car. And since it sounds like your credit is good, you wouldn't have had to lose anything to interest rates because of your starting capital, and ability to get the better plans.

Ugh, next time buy new.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Throwing in that last "I could have gotten the car at any time" line in there almost makes me think maybe she/they did try to get the car back. Because I mean could she?, obviously not, she didn't know where the car was and she couldn't report it stolen because what good is that going to do her? She would have to falsify a police report and make a fake insurance claim, both things could land her time in jail when it undoubtedly came to light. They obviously had no intention of mailing the title, not just because she didn't sign it, but because she wasn't handing it over without the $200. No, the best bet for them was to have the car + cash + title. So maybe they went to the mailing address and didn't find the car, realized you weren't giving them another address, and figuring they weren't finding the car went back to their $200 for the title story. Play you for a little while longer hoping you'd give them another address until finally they needed the $200 for their heroin addiction.

Nothing about this tells me oh, it was just a misunderstanding. Did the op make some mistakes with his interactions with her he could have handled differently?, of course captain hindsight. But when you're dealing with a shady fucking bitch and her neanderthal ex-con mistakes are bound to happen. Throwing in those last quips sounds like she/they are pissed their scam didn't come to full fruition.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Wait, your father worked for Ford, and you qualified for their employee discount, and you still laid out 10 grand on craigslist? Seriously man,what the fuck. At the start I thought this was all pretty dumb but it was essentially typical sheltered computer nerd actually meets up with assholes in therealworld and comedy ensues. But your dad actually worked around cars? Why didn't...you know...talkto him?

As others have said, eating a 3k loss is dumb now...But christ you could have put 10k down on a new car and owned it outright in like 5 years if you budgeted halfway decently. On a NEW car. And since it sounds like your credit is good, you wouldn't have had to lose anything to interest rates because of your starting capital, and ability to get the better plans.

Ugh, next time buy new.
You're calling in him stupid and then giving him stupid advice, in the same post. He learned a lot from his mistakes (presumably) and buying used is almost always a better option for saving money than buying new. Did you even read what he told us about the shitbox he (yes stupidly) bought? Estimates of 2,500 to 3k to fix it, OR he can trade it in without fixing it for at least 6k, which is 2,500 less than he paid for it. Seems to me he's out that 2,500 either way, might as well trade it in for a more reliable car because this one has been in two accidents (if the title was clean it might be worth keeping). Or should he drive around without airbags which could potentially save his life? I still don't think he should buy new but it's the only way he's going to get decent trade in money for his beater.

Now let's also look at the mileage he's going to put on his car. 120 miles per day? That's ridiculous. Why would you ever recommend buying a new car to someone who's going to be putting that kind of mileage on it? He will be out of warranty within 2 years. Buying new would be fucking stupid (initially, but at this point is a much better option than before he had spent any money). You buy a beater (which he tried to do) because that car is going to get shit on and run down either way. What he should have done was buy a used Camry, Carolla or Sentra with 100k+ miles on it that was still in decent working condition. He would have gotten it cheaper, it would have been (as long as he took the due diligence, which he didn't) plenty reliable (those cars last forever with proper maintenance) and it wouldn't have depreciated by close to half in 2 years like a new car with those kinds of miles would. At this point he's kind of stuck, but buying a used car that's fairly common and easy to work on or find parts for, for that kind of commute is a much better option when you're strapped for cash than buying new. Hell, even if you aren't strapped for cash I'd still tell you to buy a beater in that situation.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Let's summarize the things you should/shouldn't do while buying a used car for posterity:

- DON'T exchange any money until a bill of sale and signed title are on the table
- DON'T ever buy a used car without Carfax'ing it.
- DO get the car inspected by a mechanic before purchasing it (if possible)
- DO see if you can get a free one from the hooker you are purchasing the car from as part of the deal

Feel free to add to this list.

Dis

Confirmed Male
You're calling in him stupid and then giving him stupid advice, in the same post. He learned a lot from his mistakes (presumably) and buying used is almost always a better option for saving money than buying new. Did you even read what he told us about the shitbox he (yes stupidly) bought? Estimates of 2,500 to 3k to fix it, OR he can trade it in without fixing it for at least 6k, which is 2,500 less than he paid for it. Seems to me he's out that 2,500 either way, might as well trade it in for a more reliable car because this one has been in two accidents (if the title was clean it might be worth keeping). Or should he drive around without airbags which could potentially save his life? I still don't think he should buy new but it's the only way he's going to get decent trade in money for his beater.

Now let's also look at the mileage he's going to put on his car. 120 miles per day? That's ridiculous. Why would you ever recommend buying a new car to someone who's going to be putting that kind of mileage on it? He will be out of warranty within 2 years. Buying new would be fucking stupid (initially, but at this point is a much better option than before he had spent any money). You buy a beater (which he tried to do) because that car is going to get shit on and run down either way. What he should have done was buy a used Camry, Carolla or Sentra with 100k+ miles on it that was still in decent working condition. He would have gotten it cheaper, it would have been (as long as he took the due diligence, which he didn't) plenty reliable (those cars last forever with proper maintenance) and it wouldn't have depreciated by close to half in 2 years like a new car with those kinds of miles would. At this point he's kind of stuck, but buying a used car that's fairly common and easy to work on or find parts for, for that kind of commute is a much better option when you're strapped for cash than buying new. Hell, even if you aren't strapped for cash I'd still tell you to buy a beater in that situation.
Buying a import car with high mileage isnt going to be easy to find without hitting Joe Blow's user car lot that has a fence around it, a portable trailer and a pit bull for security. He would have to go the private buyer route, or somehow get into a car auction. And as you stated, this is what he should have done from the start. Buy local, and do your research (AKA be smart). Which he didnt do.

Personally, I would advise him to go to his local Toyota store, buy a Corolla (wait till September)http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2drVuzuT9. All the dealerships will be nearly giving away the 2013 models to get them off the lot and out of inventory (as mandated by Toyota). Manufacturers cant stand having old model years still on the lot while the new redesigns are out, so they heavily incentivize the dealerships to get rid of them as quickly as possible. So you should be able to get a hell of a deal if you stick to your guns.

Corolla is a rock solid vehicle that he will have for 10-15 years plus if he takes care of it with minimal repair cost. Boring as fuck car, but you cant get better reliability. Also nice and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.