"I'm a fucking idiot, what do I do now?", he said to his wife.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The irony of your post...

Car dealerships are a bunch of sharks, but trying to sell it for more than it is worth (AKA ripping them off) to some private buyers is totally cool.

Your post would have been much better put if you said "Dont sell it to the sharks, BE the shark!"
Maybe you have reading comprehension problems, because that's exactly how I read master chuck's post. The dealership obv has better sharks, so why go try to hunt them?

I'd list it for the full blue book value, and the only thing I'd tell anyone about the history is that you got it from some thugs and you're worried that since they have your address they might try to steal the car back. That's only if they ask why you're getting rid of it. After a month or 2, if you have no bites, then think seriously about the dealership route. Meantime, you got the jurassic truck to use as a commuter vehicle.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Maybe you have reading comprehension problems, because that's exactly how I read master chuck's post. The dealership obv has better sharks, so why go try to hunt them?

I'd list it for the full blue book value, and the only thing I'd tell anyone about the history is that you got it from some thugs and you're worried that since they have your address they might try to steal the car back. That's only if they ask why you're getting rid of it. After a month or 2, if you have no bites, then think seriously about the dealership route. Meantime, you got the jurassic truck to use as a commuter vehicle.
Your 2nd paragraph makes you null and void.

I'd list it for the full blue book value, and the only thing I'd tell anyone about the history is that you got it from some thugs and you're worried that since they have your address they might try to steal the car back.
Yeah...Great line to sell a car...rofl

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
You're calling in him stupid and then giving him stupid advice, in the same post. He learned a lot from his mistakes (presumably) and buying used is almost always a better option for saving money than buying new. Did you even read what he told us about the shitbox he (yes stupidly) bought? Estimates of 2,500 to 3k to fix it, OR he can trade it in without fixing it for at least 6k, which is 2,500 less than he paid for it. Seems to me he's out that 2,500 either way, might as well trade it in for a more reliable car because this one has been in two accidents (if the title was clean it might be worth keeping). Or should he drive around without airbags which could potentially save his life? I still don't think he should buy new but it's the only way he's going to get decent trade in money for his beater.
That estimation was for the airbag. He doesn'tneedto put that money into it. Go read his posts again before you comment on my comment. As for the new car, you can get a new Ford, without any kind of discount, for 17.5k around me. He gets an employee discount, and a rebate on a NEW car, and he can zero out his interest due to his credit. Which was the point,if he's going to put 10k into a car, and he has all those options, just buy new, because the hassle you save isn't going to be worth the 4000 dollars (Post rebate, post employee discount) you're going to wind up saving by purchasing used. 28ish months without having to worry about repairs,at all, is worth that.

If there were other factors, like a longer repayment, which would have accrued interest (And therefor increased the price difference between POS and new), or the lack of a rebate on a new vehicle, or a more limited investment on a beater (Say 5k or below) my advice would have been different. But I was takingallof those things into account as things he should have known at the start because his father worked for Ford.

So, no, the advice was not stupid. It was actually taking things like his financial situation and the financial deals offered by the dealer and his relationships (Father) and the amount he was willing to spend on a piece of shit into account. Next time, read the assessment of his situation before commenting. Derpster.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Would you disclose the accidents, the repairs, the bullshit previous owners, and all that? Or would you be "that" kind of private car seller, and say "Nah, it's great!" to the buyers?

I couldn't, in good conscience, ask what he paid for this car. Necessary disclosure, and all that. He'll likely get more toward a car at a dealership than he will cash by selling it.
as is means as is. not my job to tell them the car's life story especially a story that happened before i purchased the car. i wont try to rip people off. i will quote them a price, if they think its fair then they can take it or leave it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That estimation was for the airbag. He doesn'tneedto put that money into it. Go read his posts again before you comment on my comment. As for the new car, you can get a new Ford, without any kind of discount, for 17k. He gets an employee discount, and most likely a rebate, and he can get low, or zero financing due to his credit. Which was the point, if he's going to put 10k into a car, and he has all those options, just buy new, because the hassle you save isn't going to be worth the 4500 dollars you're going to wind up saving by purchasing used. 28ish months without having to worry about repairs, at all, is worth that.

So, no, the advice was not stupid. It was actually taking things like his financial situation and the amount he was willing to spend on a piece of shit into account. Next time, read the assessment of his situation before commenting.
Right, why fix the airbag? He doesn't need that shit, no way he'll ever be in a situation where it could save his life. Take that risk, the kids won't need their father. Sounds like pretty fucking stupid advice to me.

Dis

Confirmed Male
as is means as is. not my job to tell them the car's life story especially a story that happened before i purchased the car. i wont try to rip people off. i will quote them a price, if they think its fair then they can take it or leave it.
Dealership logic /brofist

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Don't know about the US but here in the UK, it's illegal to be driving a car with faulty airbags. That shit will get you laughed out of a garage should you try and get the annual road worthiness test certificate (MOT) for cars needed by law here.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Right, why fix the airbag? He doesn't need that shit, no way he'll ever be in a situation where it could save his life. Take that risk, the kids won't need their father. Sounds like pretty fucking stupid advice to me.
Last study I saw showed airbags only reduce mortality 16%in head on collisions(The reduction was smaller in any other, head on collisions make up 2% of all collisions, btw) if a seat belt is worn (And this is from an overall mortality if around 4%, and the chance of a car accident is 200/100,000,000 per mile--so really low). The seat belt is primarily what makes the difference between life and death in an accident. From a strict statistical perspective, if he wears his seat belt and drives safely, the odds of dying strictly due to not having an air bag probably rank right up there with a lightning strike. But yeah, he should be quaking in his boots (Hopefully rubber ones, because he should be scared of lightning, too)! Omg lets get dramatic! (He probably risked his life more with the hooker than he would driving without the airbag.) We're talking maybe atenthof 1% if he drives 35k miles per year.

Don't know about the US but here in the UK, it's illegal to be driving a car with faulty airbags. That shit will get you laughed out of a garage should you try and get the annual road worthiness test certificate (MOT) for cars needed by law here.
When I drove my old Hyundai the airbags didn't work and it passed inspection, of course this was about 7 years ago. And the mechanic was a friend (But I don't think he'd jeopardize his business for me...). No idea if that's the normal case. If he absolutely HAS to get it fixed, then yeah, he's better off buying the new car.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Your 2nd paragraph makes you null and void.

Yeah...Great line to sell a car...rofl
Hey, not my fault you're an idiot and don't know the first thing about human psyche. If you don't give a normal person (note, not the OP) a good reason for selling the car, they'll keep searching till they find a reason. The story may scare off a sissy man or extraordinarily dumb woman (and you too apparently) but it won't scare off nearly as many people as the faulty airbags and 2 accidents will. It's all about diverting their attention with this great story, letting them realize they're not at the same risk because the thugs don't have their address, and then forgetting to look for what else is wrong. Also, if he's a bad liar, telling half the story might stop whatever tell he has.

It would be a state law, and I'm not 100% sure its required in my state, but I think it is. I always plug my airbag relay back in before taking it for an inspection. Airbags in the US are too strong because most of us don't wear our seatbelts. I'd rather just wear my belt and not have an explosion going off in my face that would easily decapitate a child and will probably break my fingers and wrists as it's blowing my hands off the steering wheel.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Well, that escalated quickly.

I'm at work, training a new employee today, so a little busy to really join in now, but I'll hop back on later.

Hilarious thread title name change btw, I laughed.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Withholding information about the car's history that you know full well from prospective buyers or outright lying to them is the fucking definition of ripping people off, you idiot. Even if he's successful, he now not only has to carry around the knowledge that he was dumb enough to buy magic beans from a stripper, he can now also tell himself that he's a dishonest fuckwad that's no better than the people who ripped him off in the first place.

Great strategy if you're a sociopath, I suppose.

Neki_sl said:
Dude, this is North America. Other than in a few select states and provinces, you can register and drive damn near any vehicle you want, no matter how bad of shape it is in. It's fucked, I agree, but it's the reality. Mufflers are optional here. Let alone airbags.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Hey, not my fault you're an idiot and don't know the first thing about human psyche. If you don't give a normal person (note, not the OP) a good reason for selling the car, they'll keep searching till they find a reason. The story may scare off a sissy man or extraordinarily dumb woman (and you too apparently) but it won't scare off nearly as many people as the faulty airbags and 2 accidents will. It's all about diverting their attention with this great story, letting them realize they're not at the same risk because the thugs don't have their address, and then forgetting to look for what else is wrong. Also, if he's a bad liar, telling half the story might stop whatever tell he has.
Having or not having the CARFAX would be his first (either way he is fucked), main problem. Worrying about said buyer wanting to take it to a mechanic shop would be his second. Piling on would be saying, I bought it from thugs and I am worried about them stealing it back (epic stupid thing to say). Not like having a VIN could not bring up the new owner's address or anything.

I would respond with an equally witty name calling retort, but then I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or trolling or you are actually serious. I always hope for the best, so lets just say you are being a sarcastic troll. So I will just roll my eyes.
rolleyes.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Or should he drive around without airbags which could potentially save his life?
Geez man, really? I don't know how anyone survived driving before the invention of airbags. Must have been automatic death if you were in an accident.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Onoes, besides the air bags and cosmetic details what else is wrong with the car?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Geez man, really? I don't know how anyone survived driving before the invention of airbags. Must have been automatic death if you were in an accident.
Yea, beat me to it.. My first 3 cars I owned in my life didn't have airbags and I am still alive! *shock*
eek.png

OP: Keep the beater. Get over the association of it being such an ordeal and just use the car. Fuck repairing the airbag. Did the garage point out any mechanical faults? Didnt sound like it from your post. Who gives a shit about some orange peel paint and not 100% tight lines on the bodywork. Youv'e no idea how trivial the accidents could have been. If it's mechanically sound, just drive it into the ground. You got exactly what you were looking for, but you paid just a bit much for it.

Life goes on.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Onoes, besides the air bags and cosmetic details what else is wrong with the car?
smells like smoke and didn't he say bent frame? Or was that just some of the panels that were bent?

Oh yeah and 200 lbs of heroine stolen from Pablo Chacon hidden under the STD infested rear seat.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If it can drive on the highway at 80mph without driving funny/rattling etc the frame is probably fine enough. A bent frame might wear the tires funny but whatever.

And bent panels aren't that big of a deal.

Disclaimer: I drove a car with a wooden bumper for over a year and currently drive a car without a rear bumper, so my aesthetic standards are extremely low.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
If you come to the internet and air your personal experiences, you should be prepared to deal with the repercussions of putting those experiences into a public forum. Is that surprising or hard to grasp for you?
Not hard for me to grasp at all. Extremely hard for some others, though.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, $2000-3000 body repair jobs are fairly minor wrecks. Although from the sound of it they took it to their cousin Dennis' body shop who works in his front yard and had him repair it so they could cover the deductible + keep some of the money. Or the body shop took advantage of them, if you can find out what was repaired at what body shop, good body shops will have a lifetime warranty so they will fix the thing not lining up right or peeling paint.

If nothing is wrong with the car mechanically though, personally I'd just keep and use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.