Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
i watched it today and I kept thinking, "hey it looks like they made a movie around a video game and a theme park ride"

But don't get me wrong, I liked it. I just wish I coulda remembered more about the characters from the first one when they were reintroducing them. I really liked how they brought back almost everyone except will smith, who died in some lame way. Test piloting a new war plane? The only way it could have been a bigger fuck you to him is if it had been auto-erotic asphyxiation.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Damnit......i really wanted the aliens to win, at least they showed more character. You couldn't connect with any human because none of them had any personality whatsoever ffs
I know bill pulman's character was to be this crazy, senile old man but my god, he over acted that shit. Or maybe was the actor crying for help.
The action was predictable, the cliches over and over and over again, and the last scene, why not saying "there will be a sequel!"

ID4 still is a fun movie, this one is Jurassic World type, trying to much and nothi g came out of it.

3/10

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>

spronk

FPS noob
That video was amazing! And yes, he is an amazing actor. Can't imagine anyone else being able to play Data.
Well you will be happy to hear about the Star Trek Next Generation Reboot, starring Amy Schumer as Captain Picarda and Caitlyn Jenner as Data, the transgender accident-prone android who just doesn't get human emotions and can't form contractions!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does he/she kill someone with the shuttle every mission? When they get marked down as industrial accidents is there a squad of red shirted blue hairs protesting the racism in 10 forward?

Ardis_sl

shitlord
Patrick Stewart looking the same for the last 20 years has really thrown off what my brain expects others from the show to look like by now, wow.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Well you will be happy to hear about the Star Trek Next Generation Reboot, starring Amy Schumer as Captain Picarda and Caitlyn Jenner as Data, the transgender accident-prone android who just doesn't get human emotions and can't form contractions!
xAAIpxp.gif

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I finally got to see this.

Yeah, kinda captured some of the feel of the original. But then the SFX at times just felt over done and became a Michael Bay style shit shower. I did like some of the new characters and the 'altered tech world'.

But parts of the script felt like they were from some first draft. Just not given any real thought. Like when that white ball just started to talk after brief exposure to humans . . . and then goes on to explain a secret planet where they're training to fight the aggressor aliens. That was like something out of a fan-fic. Oh and also the African fighter / leader being able to understand the basics of the alien hieroglyphs . . . they were able to get a knowledge of them?? It took decades of study even with the Rosetta stone to work out Egyptian hieroglyphs, which is humans understanding other humans. This new thing is on a level with the old film's "We can plug my laptop in and upload this virus"

Oh and a positive: to note for me anyway was the use of that snapping / popping noise in the audio. I initially thought that maybe it was some fault in the speakers, as it sounded so non-film. It did really make the event on-screen seem 'bigger' for want of a better word.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The first film gets a ton of crap for the uploading the virus thing... but it is fully explained in the movie. They've had the ships for 50 years. They've integrated earth tech into it already as demonstrated when he uses the laptop to lower the shields in area 51. They don't plug in the laptop to the mother ship, they plug in the laptop to the ship they already had and use THAT ship to plug into the mother ship.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The first film gets a ton of crap for the uploading the virus thing... but it is fully explained in the movie. They've had the ships for 50 years. They've integrated earth tech into it already as demonstrated when he uses the laptop to lower the shields in area 51. They don't plug in the laptop to the mother ship, they plug in the laptop to the ship they already had and use THAT ship to plug into the mother ship.
Well, I thought this too except for the fact that it was unpowered until the ships arrived. How would they integrate anything with it during those 50 years when they couldn't turn it on?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

They couldn't duplicate the power source and were really excited when the gizmos randomly turned on with the arrival, never did they say it was powerless for 50 years.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
And yeah, but that's not going to explain the bigger question of how a computer virus ( which David himself seemed to have, from that I assume that it was pre-existing ) could work on totally alien computer systems.

And remember that it shut down / locked up the entire system, which is a massive leap away from finding commands ( or whatever ) that made the fighter's various devices turn off and on or switch modes.

Although to be true . . . I start to think about it, that it could have been explained more and that the virus is explained as something that one of the Area 51 techs had developed or found worked by accident, and it's then explained as a repeating high rate data spike that causes the system to log-jam, "it worked on the fighter here, it may just work up there" ( whatever, just something that sounds more plausible ) But then I realize that thereasonit is in the film the way that it is, is so that it's dumbed down enough for the average ( not too computer savvy, mid-90s ) viewer can understand what they're doing. We're here now trying to read too much into a few lines of dialogue thrown in to make the film easier to follow.

Malakriss

Or maybe since there isn't any dissenting alien hacktivists they never expected anyone to use the same overrides that the mothership later utilized to open the "power windows". The plan also relied on disabling the mothership so it couldn't fix the hack in a "matter of minutes" but the nuke obviously solved the time issue.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah I mean, if they wanted to explain the computer virus better there's a lot of groundwork there for them to do that. Meanwhile in this movie, stuff shows up out of nowhere and there's an entire final act that could have been devoted better to build up. One of the things I love about the original is that it has some pretty great pacing, something that this movie does not have.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was a pretty fun movie overall, two biggest let downs for me was lack of more shield generators and the fight back. The first one when you see hundreds of fighter craft in the air it's just one of those scenes where you get chills, didn't seem to have that same feel in this one

Malakriss

There was also an actual scene in the original movie where Goldblum figures out the aliens' countdown timer and thus their code/number system.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
People arguing over the alien hacking scene in Independence Day need to find themselves a hobby. Or get laid. Save your brainpower for plot holes in films that are meant to be taken seriously like Prometheus or Interstellar.

spronk

FPS noob
Highdef rips with korean subs are out, great video quality. It might be a bit shorter than the blu ray, it clocks in at 1:59:11 with credits rolling at the 1:50 mark, seeing conflicting stuff on how long the bluray will run but I doubt there were any deleted (political) scenes.

decent movie if you liked the first - same ol' cliches, jingoism, plot sillyness, speeches and scenes. The younger new cast is generic and boring as fuck, they really missed an opportunity there. The three best characters were Spiner, the African Warlord, and the villain. Still, if I were to ever rewatch this movie (doubtful) I'd just watch the middle 30 minutes and the last 30 minutes, the rest was garbage. Whereas I still catch the original movie on cable if its airing.

Interesting how more interwoven China was in this movie, it happened in Transformers too but its fascinating to see studios pander so hard to our new movie overlords.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I agree the african warlord was amongst the bright spots of the movie, but i didn't dig him being a fat old man for some reason.