Indiana Jones 5 (2020)

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not much into the screwball comedies, so I'm having a hard time thinking of any movies from before 1940, that I liked and would watch again.

The 40s, on the other hand, have a decent amount of good movies that I have seen numerous times. Including:
Sergeant York
The Pride of the Yankees
Fort Apatche
They Were Expendable
Sands of Iwo Jima

One of the most revered directors in history, Akira Kurosawa, had a handful of movies in the 40's too. The Drunken Angel was rated the highest, but they are all difficult to find online, so I haven't seen any of them.

(Edit: I had to look up everything that I thought of in the 40s, though, because most of the black and white movies that I can name off the top of my head, were from the 50s and 60s)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
sean connery also turned down the role of Hammond in Jurassic Park and Sybock in Star Trek 5 (we looking for God). There is still a easter egg in the movie for him, the name of "God" the Vulcans search for is Sha Ka Ree which is a play on Sean Connery.

He was also offered the role of the Architect for The Matrix 2, not Morpheus in M1. Matrix has some wild "could haves". Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio and Will Smith all turned down the role of Neo. Russell Crowe turned down the role of Morpheus. Jean Reno turned down the role of Agent Smith to go do Godzilla instead, lol

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
15% BO would have been a pretty damned nice bonus lol
I remember reading about all the accounting shenanigans that the studio was using to get out of paying, to the point where they hadn't even paid the Tolkien estate like 10 years later. Connery would have sucked and he wouldn't have gotten paid.

Caliane

Everyone should watcha few of the "road to" movies.
Obviously Casablanca.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
sean connery also turned down the role of Hammond in Jurassic Park and Sybock in Star Trek 5 (we looking for God). There is still a easter egg in the movie for him, the name of "God" the Vulcans search for is Sha Ka Ree which is a play on Sean Connery.

He was also offered the role of the Architect for The Matrix 2, not Morpheus in M1. Matrix has some wild "could haves". Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio and Will Smith all turned down the role of Neo. Russell Crowe turned down the role of Morpheus. Jean Reno turned down the role of Agent Smith to go do Godzilla instead, lol
Connery couldn't have done the archetectsh schpeechsh.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Chuk is super old.
It's part of the larp. Astrocreep is one of the most unenlightened hurr durr dummies on the forums.

To pull a szlia obscure :: pushes glasses up nose:: the best movies are not talkies is peak look how old I am you whipper snappers.

• 1Worf
  • 1Salty

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's part of the larp. Astrocreep is one of the most unenlightened hurr durr dummies on the forums.

To pull a szlia obscure :: pushes glasses up nose:: the best movies are not talkies is peak look how old I am you whipper snappers.
you have no idea what you're even talking about because you're too wrapped up in your own timeline. let me break it to you snowflake. things were made much better before you were born. you are living in the age of disposable everything. even your movies are made to be consumed and tossed aside.

Sterling

El Presidente
You can certainly argue that the effort required to make movies back then was enough that you didn't have many low budget, low effort turds of movies, but if you're going to go into some skewed nonsense about how of the 500 best movies of all time 483 of them were from pre 1950 that's ridiculous. That kind of shit is like them basketball retards that are stuck in the 90s.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You can certainly argue that the effort required to make movies back then was enough that you didn't have many low budget, low effort turds of movies, but if you're going to go into some skewed nonsense about how of the 500 best movies of all time 483 of them were from pre 1950 that's ridiculous. That kind of shit is like them basketball retards that are stuck in the 90s.
The 80s and 90s NBA shits all over the fags of today.

Last edited:
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Sean Connery can't act, what the fuck are you talking about? He is the same slurring scottish guy in every movie.

"You schall noot pashsh!"

I don't think he was as good as he thought he was or in many memorable movies.

Only think I think I've seen him in was the original 1960s version of Gladiator?

Other actors have taken on equally large roles and are not only remembered for them. Christopher Lee for example as others have said.
Don't confuse your lack of knowledge as a person 50 years later with him not having been a very notable actor. He won an academy award for Bridge on the River Kwai which also won best picture. That film still holds up. He has five Oscar nominations and a lifetime achievement award from them, and that's from an era where that mattered more. He was in Dr Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia as well. His star had started to dim when he did Star wars but he was still a notable actor.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
The 80s and 90s NBA shits all over the flags of today.
I mean you can say you enjoy it more even if it's mostly nostalgia. but there are people that seem to think that fringe starters in the 90s would be borderline all stars today when it's completely the other direction. That totally belongs in a different thread than this one though. This thread is about how Raiders of the Lost Ark is the 5167th best movie of all time because it came after 1950.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

Are there good old movies? Sure. Stuff like Doctor Strangelove still even holds up today (in part due to the fact that conspiracy theories from 60 years ago are still going strong). But pretending all or most of the good movies are pre 1977 is peak hipster (oldster) shit

Sterling

El Presidente
Are there good old movies? Sure. Stuff like Doctor Strangelove still even holds up today (in part due to the fact that conspiracy theories from 60 years ago are still going strong). But pretending all or most of the good movies are pre 1977 is peak hipster (oldster) shit
There are legit good old movies. Also there are some movies you should appreciate for what they did for film that aren't necessarily very good watches today.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Of course. Stuff like Citizen Kane is a snooze fest to most modern watchers, but from a technical perspective, it was revolutionary given cinematic techniques at the time.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dont consider the lists as gospel, those lists are compromised because they include some films more for political reasons and less so for artistic reasons. i go by what i enjoyed. I also appreciate the unvarnished and raw quality of some productions compared to the safe and sanitized films of today. i think thats why i enjoy some art house films because they dont have the biggest budget and studio resources, they have to rely on quality acting/story and make do with what they have. thats where creativity comes from.

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
Tell that to Clint Eastwood.

Clint has had a special deal with Warner Brother for a long time.

The Deal is they would give him 5-6 scripts for him to pick one and star in.

His deal is he gets to do whatever movie he wants to do - with no interference from the studio at all. That's why he's directed quite a few unique movies that under normal circumstances would not be mad. So for every Space Cowboy he gets to make A Flag For Our Fathers no questions asked.

• 2Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which is funny I suppose.
Ian McKellen. shit with money, or just LOVES to act?
seems to just love acting. 82, in just a shit ton of movies/tv still.

Fairly unrelated but there's a little known pub in London, in Limehouse, called The Grapes which is owned by Sir Ian. Before the 'rona lockdowns he used to regularly turn up on Monday nights for the pub quiz, sometimes with Derek Jacobi, and occasionally would get behind the bar and serve pints.

For the real LOTR nerds it's also worth pointing out that Gandalf's staff from the movies is actually mounted behind the bar as well.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
For the real LOTR nerds it's also worth pointing out that Gandalf's staff from the movies is actually mounted behind the bar as well.
The staff he starts with in The Hobbit and loses at Dol Guldur, the replacement he gets from Radagast, the worn down version of Radagast's he starts Fellowship with and loses to Saruman, the replacement he gets at Rivendell and loses at Moria, the white staff that is destroyed by the Witch King, or the identical replacement that he's carrying when they're preparing to depart from the Grey Havens at the very end?

• 2Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 2 users