Indiana...Religious Freedom eh? *sigh*

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are there actual businesses participating in this? If so can we get some good homo-protest videos up here of very fabulous people attempting to spend their hard earned dollar these shit-shops?

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Maybe we can stop pictures of hot chicks and wonder where the dicks is also while we are at it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm curious where this problem is such an issue with homos having buttsex out in the open and having gross pdi because I certainly don't see it here. If you don't want to make dick cakes I don't think anyone is going to take you to court, just don't make them. Future brides everywhere will simply call another bakery.

What the fuck is wrong with people? Why is it so important to exclude gays from your business when your business has nothing to do with them being gay?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Corporations and businesses are people, man. And people have religion, and religions can be whatever the hell we want. So to hell with every other law and any common sense, tax avoiding entities on paper with copyrights that live longer than people can do whatever we want them to!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I seriously dont understand people. What business owner in this day and age would refuse to make money simply because the customer is gay?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't forget you still have corps like hobby lobby and chik-fil-a who give up a whole days worth of potential revenue "because god"

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Don't forget you still have corps like hobby lobby and chik-fil-a who give up a whole days worth of potential revenue "because god"
If they're that hardline, all the power to them.

Personally, I have no problem with businesses denying access to 'gays' If you're so gay that someone can tell by looking at you as you shop in your day to day life, you're doing it wrong.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I seriously dont understand people. What business owner in this day and age would refuse to make money simply because the customer is gay?
The kind that don't like faggy limp wristed sissy boy dollar bills or ugly butch lesbian dollar bills? Hot lesbians definitely get a pass.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Because we shouldn't force Jewish Delis to serve Bacon to Nazis nor should we force Gay Bakers to bake cakes for Westboro Baptist Church weddings.
The thing about your analogy is under these religious "freedom" laws like the new one in Indiana, the gay baker isn't given the protection to refuse to bake the cake for the Westboro wedding just because they're gay and the Westboro Baptists hate teh queers. Gay isn't a religion. The same goes for atheism. A gay person who happens to profess a faith could refuse on religious grounds though.

If these laws are necessary, they should include provisions like the one that died in the OK legislature and require that the business post notice outside of their physical location and on their websites, listing those groups of people they do not wish to count as patrons for religious reasons. Let the players in the free market make an informed decision as to whether or not your business should survive and save everyone the embarrassment of being on the receiving end of your public display of bigotry.

edit: And the Jewish deli example is just dumb. Refusing to serve bacon to everyone doesn't require a special legal carve out protection from anti-discrimination laws.

Apparently the ones who have been sued in other states for doing just that.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you had to hang a sign shaped like a pink starfish outside your business that stated "We Don't Serve Gays" I think capitalism would sort this all out.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Apparently the ones who have been sued in other states for doing just that.
And to me thats equally as fucking stupid. Fucking retarded you can sue someone and win money simply for being refused service for something as pointless as a wedding cake.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The point is they simply wanted a wedding cake, not a goatse with ball shot cake.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If they're that hardline, all the power to them.

Personally, I have no problem with businesses denying access to 'gays' If you're so gay that someone can tell by looking at you as you shop in your day to day life, you're doing it wrong.
In the the wedding cake lawsuit that got so much attention a few years ago, the baker didn't even know it was a same sex couple then they initially took their business. The owner found out later by word of mouth then called the couple to decline serving them.

khalid

Unelected Mod
And to me thats equally as fucking stupid. Fucking retarded you can sue someone and win money simply for being refused service for something as pointless as a wedding cake.
Yeah, its just a minor dispute. Like wanting your kids to be able to go to the school of your choice. Like wanting to be able to drink at any waterfountain, or wanting to be able to sit where you want to on a bus.

The people wanting the right to refuse service against gays want nothing less than to ostracize these people from their communities. To be able to tell them they don't want "their kind" anywhere near them. So yeah, to fight that kind of shit, you often have to fight over otherwise silly things like a cake.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If business owners want to be shit bags and deny service to people based on pink assless chaps, government should not be passing laws to protect such business owners. I dont think they should be penalized either, let the market sort that out. But definitely no legal protections. You want to be an asshat? Get sued. This is america, the land of the litigious.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If business owners want to be shit bags and deny service to people based on pink assless chaps, government should not be passing laws to protect such business owners. I dont think they should be penalized either, let the market sort that out. But definitely no legal protections. You want to be an asshat? Get sued. This is america, the land of the litigious.
Some view getting sued and losing as a penalty.