Indiana...Religious Freedom eh? *sigh*

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Some view getting sued and losing as a penalty.
Sucks doesnt it? Fuck them. If two butt pirates want to come eat breakfast at some shit hole diner in Indiana, kicking them out without a good reason, like say they started blowing each other in front of other patrons, should be grounds for a law suit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, its just a minor dispute. Like wanting your kids to be able to go to the school of your choice. Like wanting to be able to drink at any waterfountain, or wanting to be able to sit where you want to on a bus.

The people wanting the right to refuse service against gays want nothing less than to ostracize these people from their communities. To be able to tell them they don't want "their kind" anywhere near them. So yeah, to fight that kind of shit, you often have to fight over otherwise silly things like a cake.
So youre punishing moreso for the thought/logic behind the act and not the act itself? Isnt that like a thought crime? Hate crime? Thats an awful slippery slope.....

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Sucks doesnt it? Fuck them. If two butt pirates want to come eat breakfast at some shit hole diner in Indiana, kicking them out without a good reason, like say they started blowing each other in front of other patrons, should be grounds for a law suit.
I guess I wonder how your "they shouldn't be punished either, let the market sort that out" statement fits into this.

khalid

Unelected Mod
So youre punishing moreso for the thought/logic behind the act and not the act itself? Isnt that like a thought crime? Hate crime? Thats an awful slippery slope.....
Lol no, though nice try to set yourself on the high ground while defending bigotry.

I'm saying society has a right to set standards such that religious groups (and lets face it, all these people are religious) aren't allowed to enforce their silliness on others. What I am for is stopping religious groups from ostracizing others.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not that Apple would have the balls to do it but I would love it if they decided not to sell to straight folk.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I guess I wonder how your "they shouldn't be punished either, let the market sort that out" statement fits into this.
The point i was trying to make is that government should not be passing laws one way or another on this topic. If a business wants to descriminate, they will be boycotted by a portion of the population and possibly go out of business. The getting sued part is part of reality in our society. I can go sue anyone for anything, you know that.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No different than excluding blacks or jews from your store. If you want to open a public store in this country it has to be open to the public.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The point i was trying to make is that government should not be passing laws one way or another on this topic. If a business wants to descriminate, they will be boycotted by a portion of the population and possibly go out of business. The getting sued part is part of reality in our society. I can go sue anyone for anything, you know that.
Uhhh... well... no, not really. You can sue anyone for anything, sure, and quickly you'll find yourself sanctioned and/or barred from the courthouse. If you sue on this type of discrimination, you're suing because of discrimination which is only illegal because the government HAS passed laws against it... and judicial action is just action by the government to enforce its laws/rules anyway. So any way you slice it, its government action.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Uhhh... well... no, not really. You can sue anyone for anything, sure, and quickly you'll find yourself sanctioned and/or barred from the courthouse. If you sue on this type of discrimination, you're suing because of discrimination which is only illegal because the government HAS passed laws against it... and judicial action is just action by the government to enforce its laws/rules anyway. So any way you slice it, its government action.
The anti discrimination laws are not specific to gays though. There should not be laws passes specifically for some groups, we have anti discrimination laws in existence, that should be sufficient.

As to the other point, sanctioned or not, I can still bring suit against anything for anything. I didnt say there would be no consequences. Just as an example, we just had some dumbass try to sue us because the HoA that she purchased a house in does not allow pets. She claims it was our fault that she was not aware of it but yet she signed a release with the HoA that she has no pets. The court told her to eat a dick but that was after she sued us obviously.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The anti discrimination laws are not specific to gays though. There should not be laws passes specifically for some groups, we have anti discrimination laws in existence, that should be sufficient.
The anti-discrimination laws already apply to some groups and not others; the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (you should go read it) protects against discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, or religion. So theoretically, it's perfectly legal under that statute to discriminate against gays. Sexual orientation isn't protected. So you see why a law would need to be passed protecting that group explicitly, unless they want to say "it is against the law to discriminate on the basis of membership in any group", but then you can get some ridiculous interpretations like "you can't throw me out of your store for destroying the displays because I am a member of the group of people that likes to destroy things in stores."

As to the other point, sanctioned or not, I can still bring suit against anything for anything. I didnt say there would be no consequences.
Well yea. You can kill anyone you want too... I didn't say there wouldn't be consequences.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The anti-discrimination laws already apply to some groups and not others; the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (you should go read it) protects against discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, or religion. So theoretically, it's perfectly legal under that statute to discriminate against gays. Sexual orientation isn't protected. So you see why a law would need to be passed protecting that group explicitly, unless they want to say "it is against the law to discriminate on the basis of membership in any group", but then you can get some ridiculous interpretations like "you can't throw me out of your store for destroying the displays because I am a member of the group of people that likes to destroy things in stores."

Well yea. You can kill anyone you want too... I didn't say there wouldn't be consequences.
Earlier you said that people discriminating against gays consider being sued a punishment. How can they be sued if "gay" is not protected as you claim in this post? If the cousin fuckers want to kick gays out of their stores, let their businesses fail. In the times of social media, shit like that wont fly for long.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I live in Indianapolis. About 70% of the population is pretty furious about this. Even the fucking Republican Mayor says it's a travesty. I can't wait to open a store with a sign that says "No Faggots. Gays Welcome" and just shut down any dude with a macklemore haircut or girl with northface and uggs from buying my shitty cupcakes.

Oh and the whole reason this is a 'thing' apparently is because some wedding cake place refused to make a cake for a gay couple. So everyone did the logical thing and just boycotted it and it went out of business. The way butthurt is SUPPOSED to be channeled.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
The real problem isn't businesses that want to discriminate, it's the politicians who want to force their religious beliefs down our throats....when will our political leaders understand freedom of religion also means freedom from religion, if the people of Indiana really want to make a statement they should come together and exercise their constitutional right to remove these fuckers from office.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Charge a fee to be a member, make it $0.50 and ring it up at time of purchase. Don't like XX refuse to let them become a member.

No different than in parts of the country that still have dry counties or whatever. They want to keep XX from getting drunk, the restaurants require you to be a member to serve alcohol and it's a $1.00 or whatever and they add it to the bill for one person at the table.

If you're one of the people that they are trying to avoid, they simply don't allow you to become a member.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Earlier you said that people discriminating against gays consider being sued a punishment. How can they be sued if "gay" is not protected as you claim in this post?
They're not protected in the federal law. They are in some state and local level anti-discrimination laws. That's also an area that the religious freedom brigade is taking their efforts to. Passing state laws that prohibit local level anti-discrimination provisions from exceeding those of the state.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
That's an interesting take on property rights. The reason these protections are needed is because courts have destroyed such rights over the last 100 years.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
GenCon is a minor shot across the bow. The NCAA (which is based in Indianapolis) and the NFL can make them take notice.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That's an interesting take on property rights. The reason these protections are needed is because courts have destroyed such rights over the last 100 years.
When you are running a business open to the public, a business supported by public infrastructure, your "rights" end right when you decide to toss some faggot out of your store because jesus told you to. If you do so, you should be open to litigation. But passing laws specifically protecting certain "classes" of people is fucking dumb. We have laws that are more or less blanket. If not, they should be made so. No need for more bullshit laws that can bog down courts even further because someone yelled "faggot" in their kitchen and some blue hair got offended.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Let us see how serious they are

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0ML07420150325

A major gaming convention, Gen Con, threatened on Tuesday to move its annual event out of Indiana if Gov. Mike Pence signs into law a controversial bill that would allow private businesses to deny service to homosexuals on religious grounds.
MOVE IT BACK TO MILWAUKEE YOU FUCKS

I'll owe gay people forever if Gen Con comes back to Wisconsin.