Indie Games

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Finished a game called "Halfway". Came out about a year ago, sort of like x-com but more like rebel assault on the GBA if you remember that. Turn based shooting with cover bonuses, but strange item based advancement. Can't save in combat, which I like. Difficulty was just about right.

RNG Volatility was just about right for me. You can take a gamble on 2 shots or spend a move point to increase the chance a bit. Percentages made sense unlike certain other games:
rrr_img_137047.jpg

Szlia

There is no thread for it, so I'll bump this one to let people know that the fourth episode of the marvelously experimental adventure gameKentucky Route Zerojust got released! The sneaky bastards! Downloading it now...

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I played through the first episode a couple of nights ago when I realized it was in my Steam library. Was really good, need to continue on.

Szlia

A rerolled thread that got forgotten it seems....

Anyway, I just played the fourth act of Kentucky Route Zero and that game remains brilliantly singular, even if it is not my favorite release. My two main gripes with this one are:

1) The structure: as you go down the Echo river there are as many scenes as there are stops, but (almost) every time, you must chose between following the story on board or ashore, so basically you have to play the game twice to see all the situations which is a bit annoying (there is no quick navigation that allows you to go straight to whatever scene you want).

2) I also find that act a little less brilliant as far as mise-en-scène goes (though you've got to love the Zissou effect on the ship), and some scenes do not deliver as much as one could hope based on the great ideas they had for them.

Still, there are a number of great moments of story telling, of story told, of audio-visual awe (two words: cat boat) and always this playfully clever (or is it cleverly playful?) deconstruction of the adventure game format set in the strangest fever dream of an american gothic playwright.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Battle Chasers looks really good artwise. I won't play it as it has the stand-in-your-spot jrpg arena combat, but you jrpg people might like it.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Just finished it, I think it might be my game of the year. I could describe it the way the drinks are described in the game:

Feely, Girly, Funny

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
oops yea sorry, it is a visual novel so mostly reading. You mix drinks for customers and talk alot

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So stuff that looked cool from the IGF awards:

The Gardens Between, IO Interloper, Celeste, Mark Wars, Into the Breach, Shenzhen IO, Butterfly Soup, Tooth and Tail, and Heat Signature

Heat Signature on Steam

A few of those aren't on steam

Szlia

There is a small thread about Celeste already.

So small in fact that I can quote it all here:

TJT said:
Been playing this casually a bit lately. Reminds me of Super Meat Boy in terms of difficulty and how it scales up.

Fabulous platformer, I recommend it to any of you who like platform games.
Lodi said:
I support this recommendation. Really a great game. Solid controls, and level design. The difficulty doesn't feel cheap and it's very addicting. Solid soundtrack too.
Szlia said:
I platinum'ed this game on PS4 and the more I played it the least I felt like I could recommend it. The problem is that the harder it gets the more obvious and infuriating the control and level design flaws become. The core game is mostly fine, but that's like 20% of the game and there is even post platinum content that for the sake of my sanity I will not touch. Something that is a bit annoying, because I played the game for about 80 hours, died almost 20k times, got the Platinum trophy, got a painful bump on my left hand's middle finger (it so happens that the PS4 controller is pretty poorly designed for a grip using the D-Pad) and it still feels like unfinished business... completionists beware!

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This may be the most perfect trailer I've ever seen

It's like Journey had a love child with Hyper Light Drifter! My brain can't decide if this is a good thing or not. The legions of perfect trailers I've watched for sub-par games has made me indecisive.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea it might be a bad game but that trailer is very feelsy.

Platformers usually make me run the other way, but it sounds almost like an easy walking sim kind of thing.

Szlia

I was not sure if I should post in the new similar thread or bump the OG indie thread... I went for the bump.

I have been playing the puzzle game Baba Is You. It's in a the sokoban familly of games I guess (top view, grid based movement, you often push things around), but it has a delicious twist: some core rules of the game world are laid out in little text boxes in the levels and by pushing these boxes around, you can nullify or change the rules. If it sounds complicated... it kinda is, but it's pretty intuitively designed and the level have their fair share of comedy in the way they subvert out expectations or in how some set of rules you created can have unforeseen consequences. It's a really fun and well designed game about thinking outside the box. Highly recommended for puzzle games lovers, brain teasers fans and computer science students who want to work on their logic skills!

It's available now on PC and Switch for sure, but possibly on other platforms too. Played a dozen hours so far and I would guesstimate I am a third of the way in. Full disclosure: I am in the credits of the game as a tester, but I think I only played and commented on a very very early prototype several years ago (the original proof of concept was a Game Jam project).

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
New game from Yacht Club, the makers of Shovel Knight, was announced. It looks like their own take on Ninja Gaiden(NES style). Can't fuckin wait.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user