Indie Games

Papers, please

wierdly looking forward to this one, you can play the demo/beta athttp://dukope.com/

basicly your a immigration inspector on a border of a dystopian country and have to check peoples passports, stop smugglers and keep your family from dying.
more fun to play than it sounds!

Fazana_sl

shitlord
*Unepic stuff*
Fairly well summarised, I think I like it more than you do by the sounds of it BUT the writing/storyline is indeed a mess, an embarrassing mess at that. Pointless swearing and juvenile humour that doesn't fit the game at all. It's a shame because it actively detracts from quite an atmospheric graphic style.

If you have spare coins its probably worth a try if you like the look of the gamestyle in the gameplay trailer but I wouldn't go nuts tbh. I wouldn't have bought it myself if I had noticed earlier that GOG has released the Wizardry 6-8 series this week.

Caliane

yeah, that might have come off more negative then I meant it to.

its average or so. not horrible.

Caliane

I hear "the swapper" is great. 10/10's.

have not tried it myself yet.
also that tower defense game looks neat.
primeworld:defenders. anyone try that?

Azziane_sl

shitlord
There were some RR reviews (one detailed one) in the Steam Sales sticky. I think the verdict is that it's a solid TD game. Worth it for TD fans but maybe not revolutionary enough to be worth the full price. Also a bit grindy. Have not played, just paraphrasing Steam Sales sticky.

**here

Played it for a couple of hours last night (apparently that unlocking thing isn't really true, since you get to play the "beta" which as far as I can tell just doesn't give you achievements like normal...even though it seems to have recorded that I finished all of them, just hasn't actually given me them yet) and it is decent. It reminds me a lot of the flash games like Gemcraft and Kingdom Rush, just slightly different. The major difference, however, is that you have to win/buy cards in order to level up your existing ones and get new ones. Fortunately you buy them with the stars that you earn from completing the missions (think Angry Birds with 1, 2, or 3 stars per level) and not a Pay2Win model. You can also earn "coins" that do things like allowing you to buy powerups, or upgrade your cards, etc. Very early on (beat the first "boss") it seems to me like my coins are always going to be in short supply and SorrowsEnd's comment of it getting grindy is probably dead on. Unless coin rewards get a lot bigger I'm never going to have the money to upgrade all of my cards (which will probably also involve me buying some "artifact" cards which give XP to your cards to level them up (enhancing), which is different than evolving them).

I don't really mind a "grindy" tower defense game since I've played tons of them and still am working on gold-medaling challenge modes on Defense Grid, so I'll probably be fine with this game. I can't say I know how it will be later on, but if that isn't something you look forward to, you might have trouble finishing this one. Particularly since it seems like there aren't that many different level layouts. I've seen the same 3 or 4 several times already, they just rotate the stupid thing so you're looking at it from a different perspective (and I haven't found any way of rotating it myself). Maybe more will show up later, but already repeating levels several times on the actual storyline missions seems a little lame. You can "raid" around a boss which is basically just randomized missions to earn coins, stars, and cards (random reward) so I'd expect those to be repeated levels, but not storyline missions. Even free flash games typically had a different layout for each one, because levels really aren't that hard to make.

Oh, and none of the levels I've encountered yet have been very complicated. There's one that is essentially a spiral, and one that has a straight shot to the "cores" if you don't block some paths, but there's nothing like Defense Grid where you have to look at the fucking thing for 10 minutes trying to figure out your best layout. There's something to be said for this simplicity of course, but when the levels are repeated that's kind of a negative I feel.

I'm making it sound horrible I know, and it isn't. There are your typical card game highlights like pulling a rare card and getting to use that rare tower the first time. Like, you get a standard poison tower for free, but when I bought some "packs" I pulled a Serpent Tower which does a poison cone that affects multiple targets and looks like a big hooded cobra. It's almost twice the cost of the regular poison tower, but it absolutely destroys the swarm waves of weak creatures. Of course now I have to try to pull two more to max evolve it, and level it up...but do I level up my other, cheaper towers first? So yeah, it is probably going to be a grind, and I'm probably going to get sick of seeing the same levels, but there are a few carrots along the way. Hopefully those are enough.

Szlia

I just played Thomas Was Alone, a minimalist platformer with a somewhat amusing narrative slapped on top. The core gameplay idea here is that you get to control different characters that have different abilities and shape and they need to help each other out to go through the levels.

It was not unpleasant, but it left me wanting for more as it felt like the combinations and puzzle solving potential was not explored deeply enough, possibly because they did not wanted to stretch the narration too much and wanted to keep things fresh (there are several levels built around an original idea that is unique to them). I think there are some DLC levels, but I don't think there is a level editor.

The game is at least available on Mac, PC, PS3 and PS Vita.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you haven't picked up evoland I'd grab it. Its on sale for 5 bucks on steam this weekend . Great nostalgic theme with cool overarching mechanic. If you are into zelda final fantasy dragon warriors secret of mana etc... its a must!

Fazana_sl

shitlord
You can buy Cubeworld!https://picroma.com/buycubeworld(*Disclaimer - at the time of posting their website is getting hammered/is dead)

There's a purchasable alpha along with a demo to see how it runs on your machine, I have a craptop atm so will deffo be trying that first.

https://picroma.com/cubeworldTons of info about the game.

Recent multiplayer gameplay footage... (Changed it from the Yogs loons)

Buildable housing etc will come later, initially gameplay is adventure style.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I want it, but the site is getting hammered. Maybe we should start a thread of its own and see about getting some RR groups together for multiplayer.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
The shop is down atm, presumably he will be using his first wodge of cash to buy some serverhosting from amazon etc. Apparently it's 15Euro or $20 through paypal only according to someone who beat the rush.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Buildable housing etc will come later, initially gameplay is adventure style.
Any hope of seeing early sales numbers?

I've been dying for a Minecraft clone with a real fleshed out adventure/rpg side so if they ever cross that road I'd be all over it. But without digging or building I do not understand the excitement. It's basically an adventure RPG. Not that it's bad at all, but not that original either. The voxel destructible terrain at this stage looks more gimmicky than a real feature. The whole point of voxel, I thought, was the ability to manipulate the terrain at will.

Caliane

If you haven't picked up evoland I'd grab it. Its on sale for 5 bucks on steam this weekend . Great nostalgic theme with cool overarching mechanic. If you are into zelda final fantasy dragon warriors secret of mana etc... its a must!
checked out reviews first. they weren't very good. so, passed.

but ended up getting in GoG's indie rpg bundle.

fun at times. clever here and there when lampooning tropes and rpg cliches.
but, its a bit FF heavy. 90% of the game is Final fantasy homage. 5% zelda, 5% random game. skyrim to mario. 1 diablo3 level.

Kindof wish the game had more pedigree then just ff6, 7, 8 and adventure. The diablo level was cute as hell. the game needed more of that. lampooning a game per dungeon, instead of final fantasy over and over.

haven't hit an ice cave yet. its GOT to be here right?

Szlia

Papers, please

wierdly looking forward to this one, you can play the demo/beta athttp://dukope.com/

basicly your a immigration inspector on a border of a dystopian country and have to check peoples passports, stop smugglers and keep your family from dying.
more fun to play than it sounds!
Just played this one for an hour. It's pretty awesome and you just don't know if you must laugh or cry! Very original concept and great execution (hopefully not yours!).

EDIT: Played another two hours before going to sleep... it made for a terrible night filled by the weirdest cold war nightmares! I think that is something to add to the Pro column as a testament to the evocative power of the game.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Doesn't sound like anyone's actually played Rogue Legacy.
I think it's a ton of fun. I didn't think cheap hits were much of a problem at all, and the random traits combined with the customizable and always-improving stats make for a game that likes to mix it up while always providing a sense of progression and accomplishment. Highly recommended.

Caliane

Doesn't sound like anyone's actually played Rogue Legacy.
I think it's a ton of fun. I didn't think cheap hits were much of a problem at all, and the random traits combined with the customizable and always-improving stats make for a game that likes to mix it up while always providing a sense of progression and accomplishment. Highly recommended.
it got its own thread.
http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...4-Rogue-Legacy
as well as some mention in the Roguelike thread.
http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...oguelike-likes